PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Rod Holder and Mount...

floppychicken
05-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Although I hate the idea of putting a 1" or bigger hole in the Gunnel, I really need to get something set-up for the Drivers Side of the boat... I'm sure getting 'tired' of 'Holding my own 'ROD' all the time.. :p

Was thinking about getting a 'Flush Mount holder' by "RAM" and placing it up near the windshield or perhaps half-way between the end of the Windshield and the throttle.. Any advice as to placement and Mount type would be great! My Boat = SmokerCraft 'ULTIMA' 17.2'

Cheers,

/FC...

skidderman
05-13-2010, 04:45 AM
I would go with a Scotty. They have several types of mounts, i.e. flush mount, top mount, rail mount; pretty much anything and easy to install. This isn't a plug for scotty but I have 9 of them on my boat. A few rail mounts and five top mounts. They last forever, are tough as nails and I think look pretty good.

Wolf Tracker
05-13-2010, 05:38 AM
I have the same boat and went with cabelas flush mount holders.2 are in the back and 2 in the bow.I like the idea i can remove the when i am done fishing.I believe they were about 100 bucks for a set of 4. Jay

Tunstall
05-13-2010, 08:55 AM
If you're looking at rod holders, do yourself a favour and look at the Folbe's.

walleyechaser
05-13-2010, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=skidderman;587009]I would go with a Scotty. QUOTE]

x2

bobalong
05-13-2010, 09:54 AM
If you're looking at rod holders, do yourself a favour and look at the Folbe's.

I agree Folbe's or the Scotty Orca, both are quick release

sheephunter
05-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I've got a 15' boat with 7 different rod holder locations. You can never have too many. Place one everwhere you think you might need one.

FishingForLife
05-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Im gonna have to go with Scotty on this one. Lots of mounts, and very durable.

209x50
05-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Scotty's hands down. I've mounted god knows how many rod holders in boats and not only are Scotties the best they are reasonably priced too!

javlin101
05-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I have the Scotty flush mounts, 2 in the bow, 2 midway(1 just behind the throttle) & 2 in the back for down rigger. They work great & last forever. Nice to be able to move them around or store when not needed.

floppychicken
05-13-2010, 04:13 PM
..some good advice here.

I"ll definitely want a set up in the BOW area, (one on both sides) but I don't believe I'm going to need any in the back of the boat aside from one sturdy mount for my new Electric Downrigger (that I haven't bought yet.. "Shhhhh, Don't tell the Mrs"....)

For the Back, I plan on making a Sturdy trolling bar the 'better length' of the transom, made from either Aluminum 2" Tube or 2" Aluminum Square Tube that will mount to the Tow-Hooks. I'll make it about 3 1/2' high and such that 3 or 4 rods can comfortably be put out from the back of the boat for Trolling.

The Scotty and the Eagle seem to both have a TON of adapters and such for their Flush Mounts... Do any of you people use the Mounts for anything 'Other' than Rod Holders?

Oh yeah,... Did you guys merely use a Hole Saw and pop them in the middle of the gunnel? I assume that's the proper procedure.. Along with looking out for Cables, etc while drilling?

Cheers,

/J...

209x50
05-13-2010, 04:32 PM
yep a hole saw and watch for wiring.

seahawkfisher
05-13-2010, 04:48 PM
i use the scotty's; the ones i have are mounted on the inside of the gunnel so that there is no interferance with the mooring cover - quick release holder on a quick release mount
cheers

whitewolf
05-13-2010, 09:37 PM
hey floppy we better get it right the first time as if we start drilling holes in the boat your wife will mount those rod holders in our head !

floppychicken
05-13-2010, 10:07 PM
hey floppy we better get it right the first time as if we start drilling holes in the boat your wife will mount those rod holders in our head !

Whatya' Talkin' about!! :snapoutofit:

I'll put nice cup-holders in all my Screw-Up Holes and she'll think it's GREAT!
(I'm sooooo glad she doesn't have any interest in reading this Forum!..hah, hah)

floppychicken
05-13-2010, 10:16 PM
i use the scotty's; the ones i have are mounted on the inside of the gunnel so that there is no interferance with the mooring cover - quick release holder on a quick release mount
cheers

I'm confused... I thought all flush mounts were either screwed to the top of the Gunnel or fitted with the 'hole-mount'. Do you mean inside the boat on the Freeboard / Topside?

seahawkfisher
05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
yup

the ones i have come with a 180 degree pivot - the rod tips sit a little higher than when you mount them on the top but it sure beats wearing out the tonneau cover
cheers

floppychicken
05-14-2010, 08:07 PM
yup

the ones i have come with a 180 degree pivot - the rod tips sit a little higher than when you mount them on the top but it sure beats wearing out the tonneau cover
cheers

Your cover snaps on top of the Gunnel? My snaps are on the bottom, under the gunnel.. Also, I use a custom travel tarp instead of the normal mooring covers. It seems to work much better. I'm surprised that those small flush mounts would get in the way of that actually.....

Cheers,

/J...

seahawkfisher
05-15-2010, 08:09 AM
my cover snaps on the outside; it kinda wraps around and is really tight - and that's a good thing...
cheers

DarkAisling
05-15-2010, 09:25 AM
The Scotty and the Eagle seem to both have a TON of adapters and such for their Flush Mounts... Do any of you people use the Mounts for anything 'Other' than Rod Holders?

The Scotty cup holders fit in the rod holder mounts. How's that for handy? :)

floppychicken
05-15-2010, 02:54 PM
The Scotty cup holders fit in the rod holder mounts. How's that for handy? :)

It is !!

I'm ALWAYS looking for a place to put my Drink Down when having Lunch... especially when the wind is blowing and the drink will NOT stay on the Gunwale. :P

Cheers,

/J..

floppychicken
05-15-2010, 02:56 PM
my cover snaps on the outside; it kinda wraps around and is really tight - and that's a good thing...
cheers

Yes, same here... Mine are on the outside, UNDER the lip of the Gunnel. Your right in that it makes for a REALLY nice tight fit, water NEVER gets in and you can actually TRAVEL with that kind of MOORING tarp due to the location of the snaps!