PDA

View Full Version : How did u start?

Fishfinder
05-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Brax's nice photos got me thinking. How did everyone get into fishing, when, where, how, n why?
Friend of mine got me into fishn a few yrs back, had to cast for me becuz I was clueless. Oldschool style, 1 weight, 1 hook, 1 worm. He still uses the same setup to date and catches often. Always rod in hand too. Two Jack er two jake lake somewhere round Minnewanka I hooked into me first lil bow. Ever since I been hooked. Love the outdoors I do. Fishing is jus one more gr8 way to enjoy it! Would love to hear some of ya'lls tales!:)

S.A.S
05-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Really young in northern M.B catching walleyes for dinner. I really was not into it then.

plinker
05-13-2010, 02:05 PM
My grandfather would take me perch fishing in a place called Cantic, in Quebec. I always loved the time I spent with him in his little rowboat with the small 2 stroke motor. Because of him taking the time to teach a hyperactive young kid how to fish, everytime I go fishing I feel like he is with me. I've taught both my kids to fish and ironically, the very first date I had with my wife, was fishing the Sheep River in 1985. Fishing is the tool required for peace and serenity. To become close to your family, to learn how to enjoy life just that much more.

walleyechaser
05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
caught a couple fish with my grand father when i was young... then caught a shark when I was about 10, since then have always loved fishing of all types except fly fishing, still kinda getting into that

Fishfinder
05-13-2010, 02:11 PM
My grandfather would take me perch fishing in a place called Cantic, in Quebec. I always loved the time I spent with him in his little rowboat with the small 2 stroke motor. Because of him taking the time to teach a hyperactive young kid how to fish, everytime I go fishing I feel like he is with me. I've taught both my kids to fish and ironically, the very first date I had with my wife, was fishing the Sheep River in 1985. Fishing is the tool required for peace and serenity. To become close to your family, to learn how to enjoy life just that much more.

:happy0034::cool::happy0034:

AlbertaOutdoorsmen19
05-13-2010, 02:27 PM
While spending my summers in northern Manitoba, My dad would always take my older brother and I out to catch some walleyes for dinner. I got hooked ever since and cannot get enough. Now I'm the one teaching my little cousins how to fish :)

timsesink
05-13-2010, 02:48 PM
hmm, I don't really know it kinda of grew one me no one in my family hunts or fish but there was always a respect and love for God's creation that was importnat to our family.

floppychicken
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
...caught my first fish (perch) when I was like 2 1/2 or 3 years old (see photo A).
...when I couldn't GO FISHING, I'd tie other 'THINGS' to my Rod! (see photo B).

The Old man used to take me out in the boat with my older Brother, but I think my fondest memories were those at the Family Cottage in Ontario. My Mum used to get me up at 5:00AM (I was the only 'kid' willing to FISH that early..) and we'd walk down to the lake and get in the "PT-109" ('small rowboat') and row out to the first island. The water was Pitch-Black and not a Ripple could be seen on the surface. The sun would be coming up and Mist would be rising from the surface of the water as far as the eye could see... We'd sit there and fish until just before Lunch-Time and we'd catch Walleye, Perch and Pike. Life was Good..... :)

javlin101
05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Started as an ankle bitter @ Stergon Lake & Carson(back then there was only a lease road & gas plant. We used to camp right on the shore at Carson). I flipped in & out of fishing for the last 40 years but committed now. Well I have to cause I am getting to old & slow to do anything else. As my gramps use to say "the old hinges are gettin a little rusty these days"

whitewolf
05-13-2010, 03:55 PM
i think my dad started me hunting and fishing ever since i could walk...i was so wild with the rod my dad used to tie my worms to the line with no hook in fear i was gonna snag some one....he said he used to chuckle when i would get a bite i couldnt figure out why i couldnt catch one...when i got a little older he added the hook...funny thing is i learned on a flyrod and now i dont use one...shot my first sharp tail grouse with a 20 gauge when i was 6...it was great growing up in northern ontario......

luckyme
05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
i learned it from my grandfather when i was 7.he used to take me fishing in a small river just close to his place somewhere in SE Asia.:fishing: good old carolina rig,that thing catch anything back there.

thorne
05-13-2010, 08:16 PM
born and raised in in Newfoundland....NUFF SAID!!:happy0180:

thorne
05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Started as an ankle bitter @ Stergon Lake & Carson(back then there was only a lease road & gas plant. We used to camp right on the shore at Carson). I flipped in & out of fishing for the last 40 years but committed now. Well I have to cause I am getting to old & slow to do anything else. As my gramps use to say "the old hinges are gettin a little rusty these days"

Youth is a state of mind, and ability is only limited to the things you limit youreself to....you fish because you enjoy it, and every tug on you line is a good as the first one you ever had....it never gets old, and neither will you. as long as there is a lake to wet you line, you will always be that young kid anticipating that next bite!

braxxtonn
05-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Started going fishing with may paps when real young , kinda grew out of it when i got a lil older and more intersested in other things , but now that I'm a father i like to take the boy.. some of my best fishing memories are trolling the lake at midnight on a full moon !!

ishootbambi
05-13-2010, 09:55 PM
had an uncle that took me before he had kids of his own. when i was about 8 or 9 i got hold of some archaic decrepit gear and walked to the creek near where i lived after school. it took a lot of self teaching and a lot of fishless attempts to figure it out. my son is growing up VERY spoiled (compared to what i had) when it comes to outdoor pursuits. his first fish is on the wall...he caught it just shy of age 2. same for big game. i hunted 12 years before i shot a whitetail as big as my kids first.

lone wolf
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
My uncle took me out when I was 5, stream fishing for brown trout. My interest subsided when I moved to Canada & started hunting, but has picked up again in recent years thanks to my kids who love it.

Jon_Boy
05-13-2010, 10:26 PM
A good friend who I played hockey and baseball with and his dad was big into hunting and fishing. They started taking me on their excursions when I was probably around 9 or 10 and I loved it. Never did anything like it because the old man is an old farmer who thinks doing most things fun is a waste of time when there could be work done. But I understand because he was also not very keen on water after seeing his older brother drown in the river when they were teenagers. Definately not a good mix for getting a kid into fishing. Anyways, if it wasn't for my friend and his dad, I probably never would've started fishing and I am very thankful for what they did.

angler1
05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I remember sitting on the end of the dock in Middle Lake Sask. with my bare feet hanging in the water fishing for perch with a rod and bobber. My slightly older cuz got me into it about the age of 5 and it has been a good addiction ever since.

DustDee
05-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Grandpa would take us up to a little creek near Creston BC to fish for Cutties. My first memories of it were when I was ~5 years old, but Mom says we'd been going up there since I was 1. We would fish with a long willow, fishing line, a hook and grasshoppers. That's where I met my first bear too!

Scott N
05-14-2010, 09:42 AM
My Dad started taking me out when I was just a little kid, usually bait fishing for trout.

dmckay
05-14-2010, 10:05 AM
At five years old I was fishing off the dock at my Aunt and Uncle's cabin on Okanagan Lake and caught my first sucker. Apparantly, I hooked one, dropped the rod and started running back to the cabin to tell everyone.........the line was still in the water with a fish on. Luckily, by the time they realized, stopped laughing, and told me to run and get the rod....the fish was still on. This all happend probably within a minutes time, and my rod (stick with fishing line and doughballs for bait) was stuck between the boards on the dock. Ever since, it became an addiction. I haven't been much since I've been in Alberta ( almost seven years), but in the last year....I'm getting hooked again and getting ready to try flyfishing. The girlfriend thinks I might need an intervention:rolleye2:

AxeMan
05-14-2010, 10:26 AM
I think I was born with a fishing rod in one hand and a rifle in the other. My family has been fishing and hunting for generations. My Grandpa was very inspirational to me as a kid. He would take me to the old homestead at Beaver Lake and we would fish and later on hunt. I remember as a kid at Christmas at the Grandparents all my relatives would get together and we would rehash the years hunting and fishing trips, look at all the deer and moose racks, and then go out and look at the cattle. It was tradition.

GUMP
05-14-2010, 10:33 AM
My dad took us down to the local creek when we were little kids (10 kids in our family) where we caught lots shiner minnows with a bent stick pin, some thread and a willow branch. We used buffalo berries for bait. We caught hundreds to feed the barn cats at home. Good times.:shark:
Oh, and I just had to use a new smilie :)

Piers
05-14-2010, 11:20 AM
My dad and I would go out all the time in our little green Lund off the east coast of Vancouver Island (Lantzville for the locals that know the island) and pull in salmon and cod all day.. I don't remember the first time but I remember the times..

now where's those photos?

Took a long break and a few Christmas's ago, my father-in-law gave me a nice simple BPS rod & reel, and I've been hooked (again) since :)

Fishfinder
05-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Some good stories here:)
Thanx for sharing everybody!
Cheers n GL out there!:)

fishstix
05-16-2010, 08:53 AM
My uncle died in the early ninties. His belongings were distibuted within the family. I ended up with some steelhead gear, and a fly rod. The steelhead rod is huge. I havent used it but maybe some day. The fly rod turned out to be the best gift i ever received. At the time i had never cast a fly. In fact i was a spin caster. We would fish the Horsefly river with spinners and clean house. How could it get any better than this? I took my new rod out to the little creek behind our ranch and fish. At first i thought that distance was the idea behind casting, so i would cast until i had way too much line to manage. Finally one afternoon as i was casting way too far my inherited rod and it broke. Right at the handle. Bummer. I felt terrible, so off to the local fishin store i went. I picked up a St.Croix 6 weight and have never looked back. Fly fishing is the best way for me to "get away" for a break from everything. Fly fishing is more than just a way to catch fish.

Fishstix!!