PDA

View Full Version : Apparent contradiction in the regs??? Can anyone clarify this for me?

Jack&7
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Cut and pasted directly from the regs:

Fishing with Bait Fish
Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.
Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Collecting Bait Fish

The following regulations apply to the collection of bait fish for personal use as bait:

"Fish other than bait fish must be immediately released unharmed. Game fish such as perch must not be kept."

So you can or cannot use dead perch as bait? They are listed as a baitfish...but cannot be kept:confused:

Am I missing something here? Is a "trout-perch" a specific species that I've never heard of? Or should I get this clarified by the fish cops?

209x50
05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
trout-perch is a specific species.

mustard73
05-13-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/percopsis.html

Apparently a trout - perch is a type of fish. Learned something new today...

The minnow part looks different than last year I think. So we can actually use minnows (western silvery minnow) where bait fish is prohibited. I'll have to pay a little closer attention to the species of minnows that I buy frozen.

NOOBhunt'r
06-14-2010, 03:07 PM
The minnow part looks different than last year I think. So we can actually use minnows (western silvery minnow) where bait fish is prohibited. I'll have to pay a little closer attention to the species of minnows that I buy frozen.

A few misinterpretations here...

First: You can't use western silvery minnows at all.

Second: Minnows are baitfish, so you wouldn't be able to use them or any other bait where there is a bait ban...

Lastly: 95%+ of all baitfish for sale are spot-tail shiners so you'd probably have to search to get other species...

I-Love-Eyes
06-14-2010, 06:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percopsidae

Check out this website--it describes a trout-perch and shows a picture.