PDA

View Full Version : Fish finder for river boat

Strikemaster
05-13-2010, 08:44 PM
I recently picked up a river boat with a jet leg and would like to put a fish finder on it. I have 12V available in the boat. Would anyone have any suggestions on a basic model to use? I mainly would like to know the depth of water.
Through anyone's experience is there something different that should be done on a river boat versus a lake boat? Thanks All!

pdfish
05-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I recently picked up a river boat with a jet leg and would like to put a fish finder on it. I have 12V available in the boat. Would anyone have any suggestions on a basic model to use? I mainly would like to know the depth of water.
Through anyone's experience is there something different that should be done on a river boat versus a lake boat? Thanks All!

I've got a lowrance 522 or 527 (can't remember) on mine and it'll keep reading up to about 40 MPH

thorne
05-13-2010, 09:01 PM
pretty much any decent sonar will maintain a depth reading at speed...unless you can outrun the speed of sound...ifproperly placed to have constant water flow...you will loose bottom defination as turbulance builds at higher speeds, but you should loose the depth aspect..

angler1
05-13-2010, 10:27 PM
I run a cheap Eagle, Cuda I think. I run it on an 18 ft Outlaw jetboat. It does not read fish at high speeds but works great for just a bottom reading. The transducer flips up if I hit bottom, I have been running it for a couple of years now with no problems.

Hunter Trav
05-14-2010, 09:03 AM
If you ice fish in the winter, get yourself a Lowrance X-67-C. You can use it all year long...

Safety D
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Paying attention and keeping an eye out for rocks is your best depth finder !!!!