PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Questions

Sir. Kenneth
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Im planning to head out over the long weekend to my favorite wally lake and it just opens on the long weekend. I have never been able to get out in the spring before and im taking the kids so im really hoping to get them into some fish. Would i generally still use my same summer/fall spots? What depth would they be at this time of year? I usually nail em on this lake in about 15-20 FOW. Same for spring time? Any tips appreciated.

Cheers.
K

walleyechaser
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
that would probably work, although they do come really close in spring, today I see them 5-10 feet of shore, and had a lot of bites there

Sir. Kenneth
05-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Ok thats good. I usually anchor in about 15 feet or so and fan cast from there so im sure i will get in to some. Would just be nice to put the kids right on top of some walleye so they can Jig. Its always rough when you have to un-tangle lines all day instead of fish :-s

bowfin
05-14-2010, 05:26 PM
fish slow the water is still cold in the morning i would try shallow 6-12 ft as the day gets later head out deeper you should connect with them look for bait fish that will tell ya where they are also good luck

WayneChristie
05-14-2010, 05:30 PM
take them to PCR Im sure they will catch a few for sure.

Sir. Kenneth
05-15-2010, 01:49 PM
take them to PCR Im sure they will catch a few for sure.

LOL well thats a given but i always get tired of catching the same damn walleye all day as seems to be the case in that lake! Thanks for the tip though.

nicemustang
05-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey Ken,

I think I know where you are going and if I could give some advice. Spring walleye are pretty predictable (usually) and they should be in the area you are fishing regularly in the summer during the day. More specifically like 5-7 am or 6-8 pm is when they should be there. But expect the bite to die off outside of these times. During the day, they hold the bottom. The only way for them to bite is to put the bait right in front of there nose, slow troll with worms or leeches work best. Might have to go out to 25-30 feet during bright sun.

Late evening and into night they will usually be really shallow. So look for them there. Use gold or silver cranks.

TexasTornado
05-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I'll come out to Pine to see how you made out

209x50
05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I've been having great luck bottom bouncing a 18" mono spinner and minnow. 5 to 10 feet of water probably 1 to 1.5 mph backtrolling with a 25 hp. I don't follow the cold water slow presentation theory and just fish. The boat has limited out in under an hour every time out this year and the first time we were catching prespawn females so you know the water was sub 42 degrees f!

Sir. Kenneth
05-18-2010, 09:04 AM
I'll come out to Pine to see how you made out

LOL You headed out that way this weekend Bud? Im there with Milysa and the kids Saturday night till probably Monday night if you want to meet up? Pretty sure another buddy of mine is heading up Sunday morning.

bubba 96
05-18-2010, 10:13 AM
yup Ill be out on Sun, so figure out where all those walters are.....lol:happy0180:

LOL You headed out that way this weekend Bud? Im there with Milysa and the kids Saturday night till probably Monday night if you want to meet up? Pretty sure another buddy of mine is heading up Sunday morning.