PDA

View Full Version : Any Beauvais / Beaver Mines / Police Outpost Reports?

Scott N
05-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Just wondering if anyone has been out in the last week or so to any of the southern trout lakes? Allison / Lees / Beauvais / Beaver Mines?

I'm also quite curious if anyone has fished Police Outpost this year, and what size of fish you were catching?

Tabers Best
05-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone has been out in the last week or so to any of the southern trout lakes? Allison / Lees / Beauvais / Beaver Mines?

I'm also quite curious if anyone has fished Police Outpost this year, and what size of fish you were catching?

No one is catching any keepers, not one. I think that next year will be cool. I was hoping for this year. 12-16 inch. With the odd small one.

tallieho
05-17-2010, 07:01 AM
fished Police yesterday.Things are picking up,water is warming after all the snow.The caretaker said they were completely snowed in for 8 days.new caretaker in place seemed to be a little better at maintaining the site. No Bears,very good news ....fishing was slow,in the morning .But bugs will be hatching:sHa_shakeshout:

Scott N
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM
I was out at Beauvais on Sunday and had a pretty good day. There were lots of rising fish, but most of them were small 8" ish rainbows. Caught a few larger rainbows, plus a decent brown, which I estimated to be about 17" and about 2 1/2 pounds. I enjoy the solitude of fishing alone, but it doesn't help my picture taking!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93/ScottN01/P1000493.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93/ScottN01/P1000492.jpg

WabbitKilla
05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
I'm heading out to Beaver Mines on the weekend and hope to wet a line:sHa_shakeshout:. Probably just gonna kick around in the float tube. Never fished there before...any thoughts on flies (wet or dry).

Scott N
05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm heading out to Beaver Mines on the weekend and hope to wet a line:sHa_shakeshout:. Probably just gonna kick around in the float tube. Never fished there before...any thoughts on flies (wet or dry).

Hard to go wrong with black wooly buggers at Beaver Mines.

koobca
05-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm heading out to Beauvais this weekend. Any tips on what lures/bait/flies to use and where the best spots are to fish? I've always fished the NW part of the lake from the shore. We're bringing the canoe this weekend so we can explore a little more of the lake.

Scott N
05-19-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm heading out to Beauvais this weekend. Any tips on what lures/bait/flies to use and where the best spots are to fish? I've always fished the NW part of the lake from the shore. We're bringing the canoe this weekend so we can explore a little more of the lake.

The fish in Beauvais are generally not very fussy. I was there last week and got the most hits using a black wooly bugger (about size 12). If they're rising, try using a small adams, stimulator, or elk hair caddis. You'll also catch fish using small spoons and spinners, power bait, etc. Think small flies, lures / hooks, and you'll catch fish.

Kingfisher
05-20-2010, 01:29 AM
I've had good luck at both Beauvais and Beaver Mines with green flies. A 52 Buick was good and green wooly worm.

I agree with Scott N. Think small. Like size 12 or 10.

http://www.guidebc.com/images/52buick.jpg
52 Buick

The thing with the 52 Buick fly is that it is a great fly for beginner tiers to try. Even the crudest one will still catch fish. Sometimes the worse they look the better they work.

http://www.flytying.ca/images/wet%20fly/52%20buick%20wet%20fly.jpg
Here is another variation of the 52 Buick. This one shows the peacock herl head better.

Edited to put the recipe for this fly.

Hook Diachii 1550 size 12 to 8
Thread - black 6/0
Tail and beard - mallard flank
Head - Peacock herl.
Body - light green dubbing
Rib - gold wire

You can't go wrong using peacock herl in a fly that is for rainbows. It's like candy to them. They just can't resist it.

I like to tie mine with a 1/8" gold bead head.

Rob