PDA

View Full Version : Need a fly tying kit

jts1
05-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Looking to start doing my own fly tying. Where should a guy go and get a kit to start off with. Any info would be great Thank you guys

ghostguy6
05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
WSS sells a small kit for $75 that is fairly good. Pick up some extra supplies though.

fishead
05-15-2010, 12:12 PM
I bought a kit from the Fish'n hole couple of years ago. The vise was cheap and it did'nt take to long to break it, although I still use a lot of the tools that came with it. If I were to do it again I would buy a good vise then purchase some of the necessary tools separately.
Hope this helps

BlueNorther
05-15-2010, 02:17 PM
I agree with Fishhead, put your money into a vise and build your own kit. A decent vise won't cost you an arm and a leg, I find good quality hooks are the biggest expense.

If you're looking for help or advice give me a shout, I'm in Airdrie too and would be more than happy to help you out.

Lustro
05-15-2010, 02:34 PM
The nice thing about the premade kits is they usually give you a good sampling of materials for a reasonable price. Building your own kit will get expensive fast and you will end up with way more material then you will ever need (plus it is easy to get crap material because it's cheaper).

If I were to do it again I would get a kit then figure out which patterns I find are worthwhile for me to tie (time vs money), then buy those materials. The vise might not be the best but it'll get you started and at least to the point where you decide if you actually want to invest in the hobby.

Piker
05-15-2010, 03:20 PM
It seems to me we hooked up once before and then got separated. Anyways I have a very basic kit thats never been touched and was brought years ago. So If you send me a p.m. i will gladly let you have it cheap Piker

aulrich
05-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I agree with get a decent quality vice rather than kit. a good vise will make the job easier. farting around with a bad vise will drive you nuts eventually.

For the cash you will end up spending on materials the "gear" part of fly tying is relativiely cheap.

jts1
05-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Thank you all I got a starter kit from WSP and a HUGE one of a fellow forum member and I mean HUGE.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=59822

DarkAisling
05-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Thank you all I got a starter kit from WSP and a HUGE one of a fellow forum member and I mean HUGE.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=59822

Sweet :) I saw that, but I'm too broke right now. :lol:

flygirrl
05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I agree on the vise, a cheep one will drive you nuts.

greylynx
05-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Go to the Northern Lights Fly Tying Forum before you buy anything.

These guys welcome newbies, and I am sure you can aquire some high quality equipment, advise, and lessons for very little money.