PDA

View Full Version : Campbell river tips

alpinebeers
05-17-2010, 08:53 AM
I am heading to Campbell River this week to head on my father in laws boat for a few days. We are planning on sailing up the coast a bit and I was hoping to do some fishing. He doenst know much at all about fishing and I have never been fishing in thoses sort of waters ever. So heres where I need a few pointers to maybe help me find some fish. Any advice you could give me will help seeing as I am pretty much heading into this blind. Lures techniques things like that would be much appreciated. Hopefully I wil have some nice pics to share next week.

switchsl
05-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I spent years on the coast comercial fishing (diving) And did my share of sport fishing too. It's been years, and I dont remember whats catchin this time of year... But the rock fish and cod are always around, as is halibut (my personal fav). I used to be cheap, and used primarily 6, 8 and 10 inch nickel cod jigs and perlon (1/8" dia. fishink line basically) from the longliners on a plank (wear gloves, and stand on the plank, I have snagged fish 50 to 120lbs not expecting it!)... like an old school ice fishing rig. This would be great low cost for you, and simple. You can catch all variety of bottom fish (halibut, snapper, lings, little rock fish of all colors) just find a rocky ledge underwater in 30 or more feet of water and drift or anchor, the halibut like the cobble and sand ledges. Edges of KElp forest is a good spot too, but hard on lures. If you use a rod, make sure its heavy, and the line too, your pike rod probably wont cut it with a 3ft bucket head on the line. Obviosly the bigger the lure and the deeper (try about 100 feet) the bigger the fish as a rule. Check your local regs for whats legal. Nootka sound is notorious for all kinds of fish, just north of Campbell. Depends on what type of boat or skiff you have access to there are alot of great spots to walk in for fly fishing steelhead, best fun ever I tell you, and beautiful. I used to have a selection of red, orange, and silver grey maribou, basically high action stuff, and a light sink.. steelhead seem to love em, but ask the locals whats workin. I miss the coast, and I hope to hear good stories and see some nice pics. HAve a blast guy!!

switchsl
05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.gibbsfishing.com/products_codjig.asp These are the cod jiggs if ya didnt know, get it to the bottom, keep it there, and yank it up like a mad man, let it sink, repeat.

Tried to find a pic of the perlon, but couldnt. Any comercial fishing supply will have it like red n net. I think the sporties carry it too. It beats nylon by far, as it stretches less, and holds better to abrasion