PDA

View Full Version : Where can i get burbot

Trey
05-17-2010, 12:58 PM
ive never caught a burbot before, i heard they taste great, (freshwater ling) i live in calgary and was wondering if anyone knew of a good spot relatively close to town, and what to use, Later. Trey.

jacenbeers
05-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Macgregor lake has them but if you want to look really local, they are in the Glenmore Reservoir too.

Fishingnutter
05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
I thought they were more of a hang low sorta fish, technology has proved me wrong again,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce36BUjQ4AY&feature=related

maddwapper
05-29-2010, 07:52 PM
I thought they were more of a hang low sorta fish, technology has proved me wrong again,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce36BUjQ4AY&feature=related

buffalo lake near bashaw mirror loads of burbot

Steel Creature
06-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Glenmore south and @Ghost res on the south side of the island you can camp on.

TexasTornado
06-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I have never caught a burbot open water fishing

hustler
06-01-2010, 08:05 AM
What kind of rig do you guys use for them?
Ive tried a big bait hook weighted with smelts and meat never caught one yet except ice fishing.
Also where around edmonton besides gull?

bradfuchs
06-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Sylvan but there is better fishing for them in Gull, I caught a nice 4 pounder this year ice fishing but let it go! caught on just a jig and minnow!

hustler
06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
I was thinking you had to change up in the summer. In the boat i throw the rod in a holder and let it bounce off the bottom with the waves but it hasnt worked yet..... Any other ideas?

The Fisherman Guy
06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Open water burbot can be tough, although I have only been fishing Burb for a short while I don't mind sharing some tips on getting them in the warmer months.

Fish at night. Not necessary, but will definitely improve your chances.

Use glow jigs, and charge them up with a UV penlight. You can find these in most fly fishing sections, they are used to cure certain adhesives. These lights will make your glow in the dark objects glow in direct sunlight!

Where permitted, the use of bait will also increase your chances. Smelts, minnows, worms, and anything stinky will also work. Without bait, glow or bright colors will work. Crankbaits can have some success, but you have to work them properly to hook into some Lota Lota.

Find the deep spots in the summer. Deep river holes, or a hole in a lake with some fresh water flowing nearby. I have caught some decent burbs in the summer, after dark around 11pm on the very setup I just mentioned.

I have seen some big burbs come out of the Glen, but I have not pulled one myself from there yet.

Good Luck!

hustler
06-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Awesome info Thanks a bunch :) Ill check that out when i hit the fishin hole on my way out friday....
Its kind of dumb but my uncle used to catch them with a bottle as a bobber and line tied to the cap over night with a baithook a sinker and a piece of kolbasa and just collected them in the morning..... and here i am with all kinds of gear and skunked.....

300MAG1620
06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
The lobstick river is good upstream of chip lake for burbot. Was out there last year and caught 7 decent sized burbs that day. Anywhere the river crosses a road in the nojack area is a good jump off point and then just walking the shore finding holes is how we do it. Usually a glow jig works well

mooseslayer
06-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Good old North Saskatchewan River is great for Mariah (Burbot) all year long. Still fishing with pickerel rigs baited with minnows or leeches works great. Can catch some nice ones in there. Early or late season is the best.

Lakes on the other hand are quite a bit harder to catch them in the summer. Not sure what advice to give you.

Out in Manitoba they used to have a Burbot derby that would run for 48 hrs. A team of 3 would catch 800-1000 burbot in the 2 days. At the time the record burbot came from there.

Fishfinder
06-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Good question? I have only caught half a dozen or so, all on open water, all by chance too, while fishing for other species. Would like to actually target them with some success? Sounds like Fisherman Guy knows his burb, gonna try his techniques. Never used anything that glows b4, should be interesting!
Cheers.

Fishfinder
06-06-2010, 07:49 PM
O ya, forgot to mention....seen buddy catch a nice 13#er few weeks back. Caught it on P-rig n minnow, about noonish.