PDA

View Full Version : Coal Lake This Spring?

Wilderness Craftsman
05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering how coal lake is this spring? What the water level is at? good lures? general info?

Anything is appreciated! im taking a new fishermen out there tomorrow. Ive got an inflatable we'll be using.

Thanks!

Bear Ballz
05-18-2010, 10:44 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/search.php?searchid=3412430

Crossfire
05-18-2010, 11:20 PM
hey as far as i know the water is quiet low but if you have an iflatable you wont have a problem but just a question i thought you were not allowed to fish until may long weekend i may be wrong but just curious

jeffrey929
05-19-2010, 06:24 AM
If you are going out today you are a couple of days early.. Doesn't open until Friday

Wilderness Craftsman
05-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Im pretty sure that its may 14th....
Hopefully! i'll try and look it up

Wilderness Craftsman
05-19-2010, 09:21 AM
thanks for the input guys. I looked it up in my regs book and it says may 16th so i should be good. The book is from 2003 but i doubt that they have changed it.

Ace
05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
From the 2010 Regs
Coal Lake
May 21 to Mar. 31 – Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5.
Apr. 1 to May 20 – CLOSED

It's a pike lake so it won't open until the Friday of the May long weekend.

See ya
Ace

Ace
05-19-2010, 09:26 AM
If you're in a crunch to go fishing today, I'd go to Star Lake just west of Stony Plain. It has some decent rainbow trout and it usually fishes ok with small spoons and spinners as well as a bobber and worms.

See ya
Ace

Rockymtnx
05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
thanks for the input guys. I looked it up in my regs book and it says may 16th so i should be good. The book is from 2003 but i doubt that they have changed it.

LOL! Thats is one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum.
Nothing like using 7 year old regulations.
:snapoutofit:

timsesink
05-19-2010, 10:26 AM
That is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard said on this forum, for you laziness I hope you get a ticket.

Jayball
05-19-2010, 01:15 PM
so.... regarding the original question on coal, there was an article in the journal today about the low water level and restrictions at the boat launch...

timsesink
05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
yeh it's pretty rough going. Better with a a canoe or small aluminum that you can carry.

jono88
05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I will be out there on friday morning were launching at the south side. just using my buddies aluminum. It should be a blast. i am planning on chucking crank baits for most of the time but i would assume any of the standard spoons would do just fine. I would also try using some bigger swim baits, their easy to work and often produce big fish from my experience any how. By the way there is a reason why they issue a new Regs book every year because guess what.... there happens to be new regulations in it. Do your self a favor and pick up a new Regs book, it will save you a lot of time and money.

timsesink
05-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I've heard this is agvreat spring lake for hammerhandles and the occasional big one have a good time on Friday. A nice husky jerk in the shallow bays should serve you well.

craigmid
05-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Here's a link to the Edmonton Journal ad (here (http://www.edmontonjournal.com/travel/lake+levels+close+some+Alberta+boat+launches/3043989/story.html#Comments)). It says the Coal Lake boat launch is closed to motorized boats.

Agb Crash
05-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Just a thought, if someone were to pour out a dumptruck load of gravel off the end on the launch would it solve the launch problem? 2 dumptrucks? Truck dumps some backs up dumps again and so on.. The dumptruck would pack the gravel under it own tires. Repeat as needed.
How much does it cost to get a truckload of gravel?
donations?
Just an Idea, I know it would likely be illegal, no environmental studies, no permits etc....
I really just want to know if it would work.

I am waiting a flame from whoever.......

redneck posse
05-20-2010, 02:54 PM
the problem isnt the boat launch its the low water level. it must be down 12 feet on the shore from last year. the rock i fished on last year that was on the waters edge is now high and dry.

gramps73
05-20-2010, 02:56 PM
LOL! Thats is one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum.
Nothing like using 7 year old regulations.
:snapoutofit:

You mite be right Rocky

Guess I should have kept the regs from years past i could still be keeping eyes form all the lake in the province..

enduro155
05-24-2010, 05:25 PM
What is the accessibility of shore fishing from the north end?
I want to go out next weekend with my 2 kids and hope to catch a couple.
Is it too weedy already or can my 7 year old who just learned how to cast his spinning reel get near some fishable water?

Thanks All

FishingFrenzy
05-25-2010, 08:17 PM
To the best of my knowledge shore fishing at the north end is nothing special. Had the inflatable out a while back but it got too windy to keep it on the water so we shore fished for around 2 hours and didn't even get a bite. Could have been the wrong spot but we tried a few different areas. I've heard the south end is a bit better for shore fishing.
Never tried it myself but ive heard the shore fishing at that trout pond in St. Albert is decent. sorry don't know the exact name.

Good luck!