PDA

View Full Version : How often are you checked?

Geezle
05-19-2010, 06:49 AM
After seeing the thread asking about non license holders getting in on the walleye draws, and people chancing not coming across F&W officers, I was wondering just how often you guys get checked out.

I fish the NSR quite regularly, and so far I've been checked out 4 times...well I've seen officers 4 times...the last time was a couple guys who'd checked me before so they just stopped and said hi, and then nailed a guy fishing near me for fishing without a license (or his buddy got nailed for fishing 2 lines...not sure how they worked it out)

Being checked out so often makes me wonder why anybody would even think about chancing it, and yet, people do.

Discuss. :)

WayneChristie
05-19-2010, 06:52 AM
I got checked 5 or 6 times last year, all but one on the ice. All were very professional, and all but one very friendly too. That was on the popular lakes, in 2 years of fishing my local lakes Ive only seen them drive by once, and that was at Newell. The rest I am betting I wont see an officer more than once every 10 years if at all. There just arent enough of them. I could care less if I got checked every day, I dont need to break the regs to have fun fishing. :bad_boys_20:

Dak1138
05-19-2010, 07:14 AM
How often am I checked ? You mean at the clinic ? Never found a reason to be.

But If you are talking about F&W checking my papers, then never. But I only started last summer but have been out 30-40 times in that period.

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 08:25 AM
been fishing last 10 years almost every weekend, and been fishing for 25 years. I only have been checked 4 times in my life.

Kenilworth
05-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Four years, I was checked by FW officer twice, one was at Pigeon lake and the other was at NSR, all officers are nice guys.

AxeMan
05-19-2010, 08:53 AM
I would say a couple of times a year on average. Once so far this year on my new license.

nits101
05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
i have been checked once in the last 2 and half years and that was last weekend fishing the NSR but they were really nice then ran off to check this other guy that just walking back to his truck !

walleyechaser
05-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I have yet to get checked, hardly ever see any fish cops

chuck0039
05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Hardwater fishing only checked once every couple years. (only fish a few times the last couple winters)

Summer fishing it has been many years since I have been checked I can't even remember the last time I was checked.

timsesink
05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
usually around once a year

Albertadiver
05-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Never been checked while fishing.

I noted that they were doing a check on people at the Bearspaw dam the other day (I think it's still closed to fishing till June). Never seen them up there before. I was just walking the dog.

Once been checked while hunting, went through a bit of a checkstop in Waiperous. Stopped and had a few chats in WMU308 with a great guy there. Wasn't checked for anything in those instances.

Two weeks ago, we were camping at Bow Valley PP. We had the dogs in the day use area west of the campground and were throwing sticks, getting them swimming etc. CO stopped to check and see if we had leashes. He didn't mind that they were running around away from people as we were the only ones around. (he did mind that my 6-month old pup decided to try to give him kisses. I scolded duke right away and put him on the leash. Felt bad) He was firm but nice. Just the way I appreciate LEO's.

marlin1
05-19-2010, 10:44 AM
checked this year @ gull on the ice . First time in a long time but I usually avoid the crowds . She wasn't bad but seemed to really want to catch me for something , couldn't though because I was all good . even looked in my truck and checked my gun

timsesink
05-19-2010, 12:16 PM
The ice certainly does seem to be checked more frequently then boats

loetv
05-19-2010, 12:40 PM
WE OUT TO FISHING EVRY WEEK , I BE MEET W/F 5 TIME AT 2 MONTH , SOME GUY NO LICENSE HAVE TO PAID GOOD WORK :sHa_shakeshout:

bradfuchs
05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
once coming off the Red Deer in summer we got checked and this winter on Sylvan Lake we got checked out by a BEAUTIFUL woman conservation officer, and that is it for me in almost 5 years, both checked the hooks to make sure they were barbless and our licenses.

javlin101
05-19-2010, 02:08 PM
In the last 5 years

once at Battle Lake
once at Piegon

That would be it, both times in my boat, no hassles.

ULTRAlite
05-19-2010, 02:40 PM
6 times lifetime... wish it was more. Unfortunately I think that F&W have gone the way of Bylaw Services... strictly complaint based.

Phone the hotline when you see people up to no good.

jacenbeers
05-19-2010, 03:48 PM
I got checked twice this year. Both times at Mcgregor Lake. The guys were checking if I kept anything and looking at my hooks. I was happy that they were checking and busting the bad guys.

FishBrain
05-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Have been checked twice, once on the ice and once on open water. nice CO both times. I agree the women are really trying to nail you, but it ain't gonna happen.
OH and this was last year

dave99
05-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Got checked 6 times last year. Mainly on the ice in Wabamun (twice), Wizard, Spray, and Coal Lake (twice).

It's nice to see them out there doing their jobs... nice bunch of guys too!

Dave99

mooseknuckle
05-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Checked twice in my lifetime 1 ticket for an open beer at wab this year. I think I fish a fair bit so I don't know?

Wolf Tracker
05-19-2010, 05:17 PM
About once or twice a year.Been checked 2 years in row at Fawcett lake.About 3 years ago i was scolded for being to far away from a tip up-my fault it was a little far.Got a good laugh when he asked if I had fish under my ski-doo:thinking-006:The other time was in the summer.Asked to see in my live well and cooler.He asked if we had our licences and I replied yes and he carried on.It was nice to see some F&W officers still trust people.

bowness
05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
I get checked fishing about 2-3 times a year and 1-2 out hunting. Usually opening pheasants and deer season. Usually checkstop on a major highway for hunting.

ghostguy6
05-19-2010, 09:47 PM
4 times this year already, all on the NSR. Around 10 last year.

Before that is was once every 3 or 4 years.

Geezle
05-20-2010, 07:03 AM
So after reading everybody's posts, I'm wondering if fishing location has to do with how often people are checked. It appears as though those of us who fish the river seem to get checked out the most.

This does make sense. It's easy access for people in the city, but at the same time there are places on the river that you can get to that are pretty quiet. Good spots for people looking to avoid Johnny Law. These are probably the people the Fish Cops are mostly looking out for.

Now that I think about it, I was also checked once this spring by an RCMP officer when I was fishing on the river. He explained that the spot I was at was bad for people coming out and partying, and for stolen vehicles showing up.

Or maybe I just get checked a lot because I look like a goon :o :lol:

troller
05-20-2010, 07:07 AM
So after reading everybody's posts, I'm wondering if fishing location has to do with how often people are checked. It appears as though those of us who fish the river seem to get checked out the most.

A little late but I fish the RDR and I haven't been checked.. ever in my 30ish years of fishing. I don't ice fish so that takes out a big percentage for being checked though. :)

Although they would have to do some hiking to get to me LOL. I have never even seen them in the area I fish?

Bingo on the goon look :P LOL

WayneChristie
05-20-2010, 07:08 AM
I vote for the goon thing :fighting0074: LOL
Ive only gotten checked at the popular lakes, Clear and PCR The lakes I normally fish besides Newell are pretty quiet, I doubt some of them have seen the law for a long time, if ever. Same for the river around here, dont even see the ranchers much less the law.

burbotman14
05-20-2010, 08:15 AM
At Pigeon Lake I have only been checked once in 6 years, Gull lake hardwater for three years and I have never been checked. We fished Wabamun for 5 years and were only checked once, but this hardwater season they came by five times in about seven visits to the lake.

Piers
05-20-2010, 10:41 AM
not once in 2 years

DustDee
05-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I've been fishing for 15 years and I've never been checked once.

greywolffan
05-20-2010, 03:55 PM
:fighting0021:Always seem to be checked at Calling lake in the winter .And Carson is the same in the winter time. I do not fish much at all during the summer due to work and family stuff

mooseknuckle
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM

This does make sense. It's easy access for people in the city, but at the same time there are places on the river that you can get to that are pretty quiet. Good spots for people looking to avoid Johnny Law. These are probably the people the Fish Cops are mostly looking out for.

Now that I think about it, I was also checked once this spring by an RCMP officer when I was fishing on the river. He explained that the spot I was at was bad for people coming out and partying, and for stolen vehicles showing up.

Or maybe I just get checked a lot because I look like a goon :o :lol:

I'd be checking you for sure dude, maybe throw in the ol you've got a tail light out SMASH!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Kidding dude, yeah they must have a few more staff checking out the river or something I guess the more populated area's get more enforcement.