PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sick of guys not using their reg books! Anyone elese with some dumb question about opening dates, etc....!

timsesink
05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I kinda just had to let it out, I'm getting soooooooooooo tired of guys asking questions clearly outlined in the regs. By them getting info here they're missing out on all the important info in the regs as well as taking a chance of getting some wrong info. It seems people have lost the ability to read, or flip a page.

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
I hear ya, or if you post on this site how hard is it to look it up online. if you google search alberta fishing regulations its the first result and very easy to find.

www.albertaregulations.ca

mikeym
05-19-2010, 10:48 AM
and also considering that one of the sticky's on the main page is a link to the online regulations.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Ive said it before and Ill say it agian . Its ones responsibility to know whats what . And if they refuse to do so , they pay the penalty . Its pretty simple dont help them out or if you find it fit help them . Not all questions can be answered from that 100 page book .

flygirrl
05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Some of our posters are children who dont maybe get the regs, know where to get the regs nor maybe even understand them. All they know is there are some regulations out there. I sometimes do the:sign0161: thing when I see the post but instead of getting angry answer the question if you want to or not, then send them the link to the Alberta fishing regs. Really simple and keeps the blood pressure down:angry3: How do you treat your children when they ask the same question over and over again?

fishpro
05-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I totally agree and have been thinking about making a post on the same thing. I can understand if people need clarification on something, but I am totally sick of the morons who come on here and expect us to do the work for them. Same goes for the people who are coming on here asking for secret spots with the best fishing. I mean it's one thing to look for some pointers, but people coming on here asking for a place with solitude and lots of big fish is getting rediculous.

There was a time when fishing was just that, fishing. Now people feel like they need to be taken by the hand and given everything, while they are intellectually lazy and are willing to do nothing to learn things themselves. This includes the regs, look it up for yourself.

05-19-2010, 11:15 AM
I totally agree and have been thinking about making a post on the same thing. I can understand if people need clarification on something, but I am totally sick of the morons who come on here and expect us to do the work for them. Same goes for the people who are coming on here asking for secret spots with the best fishing. I mean it's one thing to look for some pointers, but people coming on here asking for a place with solitude and lots of big fish is getting rediculous.

There was a time when fishing was just that, fishing. Now people feel like they need to be taken by the hand and given everything, while they are intellectually lazy and are willing to do nothing to learn things themselves. This includes the regs, look it up for yourself.

x 1000000 ITs the new day in age people are getting lazy . They would sooner get others to do what they would of spent hours and days . And with a few simple clicks you can find Tons of information . Granted some kids that come here might be asking but There are plenty of adults new to the sport with no idea . And guys like me dont mind helping but keep dreaming if your wanting my best fisihng spots .

flygirrl
05-19-2010, 11:18 AM
How did this get from asking a question about the regs to asking for your best fishing spot?

What makes me tired, beating a dead horse...:fighting0074:

fishpro
05-19-2010, 11:20 AM
How did this get from asking a question about the regs to asking for your best fishing spot?

What makes me tired, beating a dead horse...:fighting0074:

Because it's the same type of idiots doing both, they are both lazy and expect us to do all the work for them.

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 11:23 AM
x2 to that too....fishpro and BBJ have it 100%

Paul C
05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
ive said it before and ill say it agian . Its ones responsibility to know whats what . And if they refuse to do so , they pay the penalty . Its pretty simple dont help them out or if you find it fit help them . Not all questions can be answered from that 100 page book .
x2 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000

Okotokian
05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
True enough. On the other hand, you are not required to answer, or even read, such questions. I don't see it as much to get worked up about. Sort of like when you see this week's "what's the best all-round hunting rifle for Alberta" question. :D

timsesink
05-19-2010, 12:03 PM
lol, x2

Rick.
05-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I guess I'm one of the morons/idiots being slammed here. I guess from here on I'll have to ask myself if #1. my question can be answered through other means #2. Is my question important enough to post on this site. I wish now that I hadn't asked. Sorry. Rick.

flygirrl
05-19-2010, 12:05 PM
True enough. On the other hand, you are not required to answer, or even read, such questions. I don't see it as much to get worked up about. Sort of like when you see this week's "what's the best all-round hunting rifle for Alberta" question. :D

I'll just agree, Im just sad because I'll have to hide my favorite fly at the gathering. Someone might see it.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

209x50
05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
no kidding! Some people on here are really full of themselves aren't they?:argue2:

flygirrl
05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I guess I'm one of the morons/idiots being slammed here. I guess from here on I'll have to ask myself if #1. my question can be answered through other means #2. Is my question important enough to post on this site. I wish now that I hadn't asked. Sorry. Rick.
Imagine that.... An Alberta outdoorsman forum where you cant ask a question:scared0018:

05-19-2010, 12:12 PM

I dont think anyone is saying that . Its more of the point people would sooner take the 5 minutes or whatever it takes to type out there question post a new thread with a very basic question could be answered within 2 seconds of opening your regulations .

Im not slamming people for asking questions , Im slamming them for not taking the first step in helping them selves . The Internet makes society lazy .

25 years ago or even 15 years ago you didn't have the Internet . WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE OLD WAY ???????????

Anyway Ill just shut up now enough on this subject before thread gets closed .

timsesink
05-19-2010, 12:13 PM
To ask a good question is always a good thing, but to rely on the advice of strangers for reg questions is not the brightest move in my book. One false answer and bam there's a 300$ fine for you whe the CO catches you. And yes Rick No#1 is actually a very good question to ask yourself especially in legal issues (ie. regs)

Rick.
05-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Imagine that.... An Alberta outdoorsman forum where you cant ask a question:scared0018:
Oh sure you can ask questions. Just be careful they aren't stupid, ignorant, or lazy. I'll say no more on this thread. Rick.

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 12:21 PM
It's not about asking questions...it's about asking questions that should 1. should know, 2. look it up yourself.

IE: When does Pine coulee open? Jebus....look in the regs. How hard is it? That is what the OP is ranting about.

diamonddave
05-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Just waiting for the thread of " Im so sick of hypocrits and their holyier than thow attitudes....." Or " Why does everybody have to post their rants on here" or " Why do we have to go over the same rants over and over....." or whatever else somebody is having a bs moment about. Use this forum to share stories and information. This thread does nothing but get people on both sides mad and does nothing constructive, it's only purpose is to cause issues. It's May long, time for everybody to get out and get rid of some cabin fever, have a bevy and relax.

t/c 25-06
05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
This reminds me why I don't read the fishing posts.:angry3:

timsesink
05-19-2010, 12:26 PM
good point diamonddave, you're right the forum is for stories and related info, not for asking reg questions easily answered somewhere else. Yes I agree, let's close down Ao for the weekend and go hit the lakes!

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Cheers to beers and fishing...I do need to get out.

diamonddave
05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Yep the red deer and a couple of cold ones around the fire are screaming at me to get my a** over there.:happy0180:

spopadyn
05-19-2010, 01:21 PM
This thread is a complete waste of time.

timsesink
05-19-2010, 01:25 PM
good to see you took the time to post :)

DarkAisling
05-19-2010, 01:39 PM
It doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes it is very difficult to find the information one is looking for in the regulations. It can also be hard to understand the regulations at times. Others can certainly assist in clarifying things and getting the required information.

FYI: I'm sure I'm not the only person on the forum who occasionally posts from my BlackBerry. I've posted while sitting on a city bus. While it is possible to post from mobile devices like a BlackBerry, it isn't always easy. The online regs are virtually impossible to navigate on one. I could be sitting on a bus, thinking about my next fishing trip, and post a query to the forum regarding the regulations: because at that moment in time I couldn't get the answer by reading the regs myself. Lazy? No. Impatient? Yes.

Dakota369
05-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Most who ask a regulation question know they are gonna take some flak, or get told to go look it up or whatnot. If you don't want to entertain these "stupid" questions then don't! Any who get frustrated by this are simply wound too tight and need to get some .................... time in fishing or a couple of wobbly pops or something........push back from the keyboard......take a big deep breath and then slowly let it all out and relax!!!! This board is for information and entertainment!!! Stop taking everything soooooo seriously!!

:snapoutofit:

jusfloatin
05-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I kinda just had to let it out, I'm getting soooooooooooo tired of guys asking questions clearly outlined in the regs. By them getting info here they're missing out on all the important info in the regs as well as taking a chance of getting some wrong info. It seems people have lost the ability to read, or flip a page.

I found what works for me is if I don't like the threads title I do not click on it.

But then again it doesn't cost me for the questions, good or bad that are posted.

How much does it cost you?

timsesink
05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Good point DarkAisling on the blackberry thing, I guess my rant was more aimed at the ignorant and not caring crowd. What set me off was a guy in a Coal forum saying "Well that was the regs in 2003 so I'm sure it will be the same" and then he lamost went on a still closed lake. It's that kinda thing I was frustrated about, but now all my anger and rage is spent and I'm happy again. I probably did take things a little far.

timsesink
05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
no more clicking on posts i don't like :)

TexasTornado
05-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Are barbed hooks legal?

TexasTornado
05-19-2010, 03:02 PM
also can i use live Crawfish as bait?

jusfloatin
05-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Are barbed hooks legal?

Only if you add mono and water if standing in Alberta.

podman
05-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't mid because sometimes points are brought up that I never thought about before. At thet time I might not have been looking for the specifics on one thing or another but by someone bringing it up either educates me or refreshes my memory; neither bad things.

If you don't like the posts don't read them. For me those with the knowlege willing to share I will read and appreciate it anytime I can get it.

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 03:27 PM
The original post was about what the regs state clearly, like open dates, etc. That's the topic that should be discussed.

mooseknuckle
05-19-2010, 04:57 PM

Yeah and these jerks that don't use stamps and envelopes anymore!!! Or pay their bills online!!!! God people who use the Internet for modern convenience I just hate them. Oh and people who drive to work instead of walking that really drives me nuts!!!!

Really dude you need to relax.

Arn?Narn.
05-19-2010, 05:12 PM
how about not reading or replying?

Can't imagine getting my panties in a knot over something I am willfully subjecting myself to...

Just skip past and you'l be O.K. ...

baitfisher83
05-19-2010, 05:25 PM
I for one would be willing to help people out even if the question/comment is clearly stated in the Regs. It doesn't kill a person to help out sometimes, and if it does then don't bother reading the post or getting all aggravated over it. there are people here who will help regardless of how dumb the question might seem. this is a forum, where people come to look for help/advice.

DarkAisling
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
The original post was about what the regs state clearly, like open dates, etc. That's the topic that should be discussed.

True . . . but I'm sure some of us have looked under the wrong zone to find a lake. I know I have when a lake is close to the boundary between ES1 and PP1. Mistakes like that are easy to make. If someone is looking in the wrong place in the regulations, and his/her question isn't answered, I would encourage them to post here for clarification.

Most of the time we aren't given enough information to determine if someone is just being "lazy."

jts1
05-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah and these jerks that don't use stamps and envelopes anymore!!! Or pay their bills online!!!! God people who use the Internet for modern convenience I just hate them. Oh and people who drive to work instead of walking that really drives me nuts!!!!

Really dude you need to relax.

X2

This is a online forum. And someone should not have to think about if they are going to be cut down for asking a question. There are a few on here that need to be taking down a rung or two. Something that you deem as a stupid question may not be to someone els. Regs Dates etc are legit questions. This forum is just another means of getting the information out there. Just as the regs are. Should everyone have a copy of the regs... YES But calling people idiots, questioning peoples motivation or integrity for asking a question. There should be ZERO TOLERANCE for such behavior. Either you conduct yourself in a respectful way or you dont belong here. But I am not a mod so not my call. I can see a few names on here that have sent me a mesg or two asking for locations and what to use. Are all of you lazy? Should you be publicly bashed on here? Do us all a favor and practice what you preach.

buckfever
05-19-2010, 07:52 PM
try working ata a fishings store guys :angry3:

mark007
05-19-2010, 08:47 PM

so who is that guy with the big bat behind you forcing you to look at those threads? its all about choices on a forum....dont like thread tittle dont look!!!!!!:snapoutofit::angry3:

luckyme
05-19-2010, 08:52 PM
i personally better to answer a unnecessary questions in this forum than let them running around wild out there .again we all not subject to answer all questions but always somebody in this forum (at least from my experience) will answer it.about the regs.? i don't blamed for some that not quite sure about it specially that changing rules in some area within the same body of water.
:party0051:

bowness
05-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I read the regs and feel I am very knowledgeable about Alberta regulations. That being said some regs are not as clear and straightforward as you think. This is especially true in BC with the different jurisdictions (fed and prov) and the daily updates and in season changes. I think this forum is the perfect place to get input on some issues that come to light about regulations and the way we manage the resource. The thread about wasted Burbot is a prime example. I am sure we all thought it cant be legal to waste a game fish, but sure enough it is...

KyleM
05-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I'll just be totally honest, most may not agree.

Iam annoyed by it because I love fishing and I actually enjoy looking at the maps and checking the regs out. I know, Im better than everyone else :sHa_shakeshout:

Its a nice feeling to sign on here after a long day at work and read some fishing stories, read about a different technique, enjoy the odd good debate.
When people start posting retarded questions, I wonder if theres only a few of us on here that actually really enjoy every aspect of fishing? Half the things on here have come up more than a few times.

BTW, everyone seems to love using that crazy map pointing out the fishing spots...where the hell are all the reports? Thats right, a bunch of lazy fisherman who enjoy using the map but wont contribute to make this a better place for a good read.

One good report comes from a lake and then 6 more will follow.

Joke!

WayneChristie
05-19-2010, 09:03 PM
i personally better to answer a unnecessary questions in this forum than let them running around wild out there .again we all not subject to answer all questions but always somebody in this forum (at least from my experience) will answer it.about the regs.? i don't blamed for some that not quite sure about it specially that changing rules in some area within the same body of water.
:party0051:

What he said ^^^^^^

jts1
05-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I'll just be totally honest, most may not agree.

Iam annoyed by it because I love fishing and I actually enjoy looking at the maps and checking the regs out. I know, Im better than everyone else :sHa_shakeshout:

Its a nice feeling to sign on here after a long day at work and read some fishing stories, read about a different technique, enjoy the odd good debate.
When people start posting retarded questions, I wonder if theres only a few of us on here that actually really enjoy every aspect of fishing? Half the things on here have come up more than a few times.

BTW, everyone seems to love using that crazy map pointing out the fishing spots...where the hell are all the reports? Thats right, a bunch of lazy fisherman who enjoy using the map but wont contribute to make this a better place for a good read.

One good report comes from a lake and then 6 more will follow.

Joke!

LOL another lover of my crazy map

RandyBoBandy
05-19-2010, 10:28 PM

mooseknuckle
05-19-2010, 10:35 PM
LOL another lover of my crazy map

Lol yeah send him/her a copy though and I bet ya they use it at least once hey?

I think some of us have to remember that some of these questions may be coming from folks that are perhaps newer to fishing and a second opinion may just be what they need to get out there and enjoy the sport, no doubt there are a few lazy ones out there, heck Ive probably asked a question that I could probably look up in a book or the regs but I also like the interaction I suppose with my fellow outdoorsman.

KyleM
05-19-2010, 11:06 PM
I doubt it, I could see it here if I wanted and I havent.
Its by far a terrible idea, especially when I show up to walk my dogs at a good "out of the way" spot and see people fishing OOS. I talked to them and they were quite honest how they had heard about it.

Cats out of the bag now LOL
This happened awhile ago and is why Im against it.
The same BS happened in Ontario and its now policy on lots of boards not to post direct online spots.

redneck posse
05-19-2010, 11:08 PM
hey does anyone know what day the long weekend start I'm to lazy to look at the calendar 2 ft away, and what licence do i need to catch those catch and release pike at wabby

uicehole
05-19-2010, 11:26 PM
My turn to ramble and waste your 30 seconds that you'll never get back.:fighting0030:

Asking for regs clarification is highly encouraged. I don't think there's anyone on this board who will not help. We all want to help each other stay within the law.

Asking about a reg because you don't have the printed or online regs handy is OK but expect some flack from some members. Better that you get your answer than not knowing.

Asking a question when it's clearly in the regs will get you in trouble every time. You may be branded as lazy or ignorant. Especially questions about the general regs (province-wide) when these should be common knowledge for all fishers. And I don't buy it for a moment that some of these questions are from children as kids these days have no trouble looking up anything online. What irks and scares me is that these questions are clear indications that there are alot of people out fishing who haven't the faintest notion of what's in our regs.

No doubt there will be questions driven by compelling circumstances not immediately obvious but here on the internet in a jury of anonymous peers, you are guilty until proven innocent.

fish-man
05-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Here's my proposal:

The moderators create a sticky thread entitled "questions about fishing regulations". That way, people who want to have their questions answered can post them there, and people who want to help out can post replies. Other people can ignore them.

And in the meantime, no one needs to tear a strip off someone just for asking when an opening date is or whatever; that's a good way to keep new people from joining this forum.

jono88
05-20-2010, 02:25 AM
i have only been on this site for a short while and am getting pretty sick of this crap. It's like being in high school all over again.

trooper
05-20-2010, 04:44 AM
I taught for years in the armed forces '74 to '96. When I was on the Combat leaders/Jr NCO course, I was told by one of instructors that there is no such thing as a stupid question, except the one that is never asked... I go by that today. I fail to see why a simple question can get someones dander up. I feel that this forum is a learning tool for anyone who wishes to take part in the outdoors. Please give them a hand, it won't hurt.
There, that's my take on this issue.

outbackpat
05-20-2010, 05:52 AM
i have only been on this site for a short while and am getting pretty sick of this crap. It's like being in high school all over again.

Stick around your just getting a taste!:angry3:

Tiny
05-20-2010, 06:26 AM
What he said ^^^^^^

LMAO.....what the heck did he say? I read it 3 times and still can't make sense of it:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Tiny
05-20-2010, 06:29 AM
I taught for years in the armed forces '74 to '96. When I was on the Combat leaders/Jr NCO course, I was told by one of instructors that there is no such thing as a stupid question, except the one that is never asked... I go by that today. I fail to see why a simple question can get someones dander up. I feel that this forum is a learning tool for anyone who wishes to take part in the outdoors. Please give them a hand, it won't hurt.
There, that's my take on this issue.

Good post, all the rest is just:sign0023::sign0023::sign0023::sign0023::sign0 023:

Nerdapres'
05-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Is the bow open? Can I use bait?:scared0018:

troller
05-20-2010, 06:59 AM
As far as people asking "stupid" questions, well I say ask away, like was said before, the only question that is "stupid" is the one not asked. I realize most of us have other things going such as work and family and as much as we would like to fish more, priorities change for most of us after puberty.

What set me off was a guy in a Coal forum saying

We don't have a Coal forum?!?!?! God I hate it when people are too lazy to figure out the terminology for a simple chat forum...it's called a thread, there you go, some free easy advice that you could have looked up yourself.

Good bye fishing forum :thinking-006:

This thread just shows why the fishing section is slowing down greatly in posts.

Morbius131
05-20-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't see how ask a valid question can be a bad thing regardless if it is clearly outlined in the regs or not. If it is so simple to answer then it will be answered quickly and the thread will fade away. But not a single person knows where others are or the situation they are asking the question from. So if the question is so simple, help someone out...answer it simply and move on to the next thread. I don't see how a persons valid question can annoy another person if that person already knows the answer.

Morb

Sundancefisher
05-20-2010, 08:20 AM
IMHO...who cares if someone asks a question...whether dumb or not. Everyone should always take answers with a grain of salt anyways as CO's will not waive a poaching charge because someone on this board said otherwise.

People...if you don't like a thread...why open and read it. Excercise your right to be annoyed with those threads and don't open, don't read and don't post. You apparently will be happier and less stressed for it. If it bothers everyone the thread will just die...people will learn no one is interesting in helping each other out.

Let's try and play nice though and help the reading, surfing challenged. Answer a question or two if you chose. We all benefit if we stop someone from making a mistake don't we?

Cheers

Sun

timsesink
05-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Man, one rant and three pages, this is my best thread response yet! Good point brought out by all in regards to asking questions , I guess I'll just avoid the posts and look back smiling. My frustration was more aimed at those who didn't know and don't really care. Have a great long weekend guys!

LacLaBicheNS
05-20-2010, 08:47 AM
I've asked on here questions about the regs.. I lost my copy once and wanted to go fish a new lake once.. I didn't know the regs were online and had a link here..

Also some of the regs can be confusing.. especially for someone like me who is newer to AB (hard to find a lake that the locals have a diff name than the regs etc.. )