PDA

View Full Version : Fish Stocking - AB vs SK...

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey all, this was burried in another thread that got a little off topic. I thought I'd post some info about the sask fish stocking reports. It's really no wonder why fishing (walleye specificaly) is better. Every two years lakes are stocked with thousands (or millions) of eyes. There are so many lakes in AB that have been destroyed by lack of fisheries management. Now they should at least attempt trying to restore some lakes with stocking some eyes. Then have strict limits until the population recovers. The lakes they did stock are doing well, but still could improve (Pine Coulee, Pigeon, etc).

I know this is probably a bigger discussion, but I thought I'd post a link to the Sask fishing site, where you can see the stocking reports.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/fishing

Of course you can see AB here: http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports.aspx

Scotty P.
05-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for posting this. It was definately an eye opener for me. Maybe we need to start writing Mel Knight?

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I have already wrote multiple letters, all have been unanswered.

ULTRAlite
05-19-2010, 05:33 PM
getting an unable to display page when I click your link to the sask numbers... did we crash it??

What were the walleye numbers for sask vs. alberta... I see alberta stocked 52 million.

sdimedru
05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
getting an unable to display page when I click your link to the sask numbers... did we crash it??

What were the walleye numbers for sask vs. alberta... I see alberta stocked 52 million.

why put them all in 1 lake though? curious...

ULTRAlite
05-19-2010, 08:21 PM
why put them all in 1 lake though? curious...

I should have known better than not to look at how they were distributed... that is ridiculous. I just looked at the total and thought that it seemed like alot. What the he!!?

The sask site still seems to be down?? anyone else??

hardcorefisher
05-19-2010, 08:37 PM
haha ya all of us albertans with these new inventions called "computers" that have "internet" which our saskabushy neighbors have yet to discover must have crashed the site. Not used to the volume or something..

greylynx
05-19-2010, 08:47 PM
One also has to remember that Saskatchewan has a way lot more water than Alberta.

Just look at a map.

Alberta has lost its walleye populations through bad management. The regulations you see today should have been implemented 25 years ago.
These regulations were not accepted until the fishery totally collapsed, and it will continue to be collapsed.

I don't think I have to explain why it collapsed.

For excellent walleye fishing go to Saskatchewan, for excellent trout fishing go to B.C. Mind you, I am starting to see the same management problems we had in Alberta 25 years ago starting to happen with trout in B.C., especially in the areas north of Kamloops.

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
The link works for me. 41 million in 77 different waters in 2009, 42 million in 2008 in 87 waters. It's not the amount, cause they stock every second to third year. Its the number of lakes.

ULTRAlite
05-20-2010, 12:46 AM
yep, back up and runnin for me too. As stated, sask does have a lot more lakes, but that still doesn't account for that kind of difference. Gonna lookup contact info for Mel and see if I can't get a non-response too. Thanks for bringin that to our attention.

nicemustang
05-20-2010, 08:44 AM
They've stocked lac la biche with 100 million walleye over the last two years.....WTF? That is great for lac la biche and it area's residents, but they really should be doing more lakes with less numbers.

Think about it...if they'd stock burnstick, gull, pine, buffalo, crawling, newell, badger, keho, etc how nice that would be to actually have a limit of 1 43 - 50 cm close to home. I'm sure many lakes up north are in the same boat.

I'm writing another letter.

Hunter Trav
05-20-2010, 09:29 AM
So here's an off topic question, why do they only stock the preditory fish and not any bait fish? One would think that would be just as important...

nicemustang
05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Also a good question. I suspect because it's a dog eat dog mentality. But yeah they should try to stock some lakes with whitefish as well. Although, i hear it pretty tough to get them to take. Pine Coulee needs something else stocked. Not enough food.

Hunter Trav
05-20-2010, 09:54 AM
With all the perch problems, I would think they could be put in sucessfully in some of these lakes where they once were. The lakes with a high predator population may need it done every year or every other year depending on how many are put in, but if you were to do that in conjunction with some whitefish to take some pressure off them you may have something. Maybe combine that with a catch and release only reg on such lakes until its determined that populations are stabil enough to allow a limited harvest for the first year or two, and increase limits if its shown that the lake could sustain them. I dunno, maybe I'm just talking out of my *****...

nicemustang
05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
No, you are exactly right.

Hunter Trav
05-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Its really a shame that common sence isn't more prevailant in our society, cause to me, that just seems like a common sence approach. But I always forget we are dealing with gov't after all...:thinking-006::sign0161:

spinerfisher
05-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for posting this. It was definately an eye opener for me. Maybe we need to start writing Mel Knight?

Yea you could write to the useless govt. by the time Mel gets your letter another yahoo will hold his post. every year they change the ministers and really do you think they care???? The only thing they care about is the next fee to implement on us people. good luck though- ive tried before with no response on another topic. you can all say if we all write they might get the message, but really. :angry3: