PDA

View Full Version : Does rain affect Rainbow Trout fishing?

Bobby B.
05-20-2010, 09:10 AM
I haven't fished much in the past 30 some years and back when I did fish, it was mostly for jack and perch.

My SIL has taken a real liking to hunting and has come with me the past few years. Now, he's interested in fishing as well.

After reading all the great reports on fishing Carson Lake, we thought we'd drive out and try our luck this Saturday. We don't have a boat at this point so we'll fish from shore.

We'd both appreciate it if someone could help us with a little advice to get us started. The forecast is for some rain today and tomorrow. Will this affect the fishing on Saturday? Also, we have spincast equipment. What would be a good choice for lures or for bait? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby B.

nicemustang
05-20-2010, 09:28 AM
It shouldn't really. I suspect you'll be fine. Cold fronts do affect the fishing somewhat but from my experience not so much on stocked trout.

AlbertaAngler
05-20-2010, 09:31 AM
I agree with nicemustang. One of my best days of stocked pond rainbow fishing was in a steady rain. We were slow trolling spoons and flies.

Guitarplayingfish
05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
From my experience, Rain is ideal. As long as its not pouring, Rain will bring the fish (trout particularly) to the surface looking for bugs. Some of my best fishing days have been on overcast light shower days. Spinners are always good for trout (gold or silver or rainbow I've had most luck on). If you fly fish, Definately get a fly out there. Good luck dude.

Big Red 250
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Trout don't like to bite on rainy days, because they don't like to get wet. LOL.

the local angler
05-20-2010, 10:02 AM
my thoughts are pretty much the same as guitarplayingfish. ilike last nite i went out to sibbald even though it was raining hard and find that the rain washes bugs and such into the water and the fishing is ussually great after.

fishman
05-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Atmospheric pressure effects fish on how they will feed usually if the barometer is starting to drop usually when a front comes in the fish will bite until the the pressure drops to a point and then they will stop biting and usually when the barometer starts to climb again the fish start to bite again

Sundancefisher
05-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Atmospheric pressure effects fish on how they will feed usually if the barometer is starting to drop usually when a front comes in the fish will bite until the the pressure drops to a point and then they will stop biting and usually when the barometer starts to climb again the fish start to bite again

anything that breaks up the surface and make is harder to see down also makes it harder to see up. Therefore the fish are more comfortable feeding and less concerned about predation from above.

I have had great days in the rain. It all comes down to are they feeding, have they fed already, what you are using to catch them.

If all else fails...find a hot tub. Great thing to do in the rain if the fish are not biting.

great white whaler
05-20-2010, 11:29 AM
The best time to fish ,when it first rains,but do slow down when water gets dirty.

fishman
05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
The best time to fish ,when it first rains,but do slow down when water gets dirty.

You are close yes when it first starts to rain the fish bite as they feel the atmospheric pressure drop and they fed but when it drops to a certain point they stop not because it is dirty water........and yes i have caught fish while it was raining and it could be for a hour or 15 minutes but when the barometer drops to far no more bites

The wind will make the fish feel more comfortable feeding but this has to nothing to do with rough water the question was about the rain......... i have been on the lake with windy conditions and the fish wouldn't bite why.several reasons why.....barometer has dropped alot..the fish are not hungry..... the water temp....i am not matching what they are feeding on or i am not going deep enough for them........there are several things that come into play but the barometer affects many things beside the fish ask a hunter or just watch the animals

fishman
05-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Pressure Trend

Typical Weather

Fishing Trends

Suggested Tactics

High

Clear skies

Fish slow down, find cover or go to deeper waters.

Slow down lures and use baits more attractive to fish. Fish in cover and in deeper waters.

Rising

Clearing or improving

Fish tend to become slightly more active

Fish with brighter lures and near cover. Also fish at intermediate and deeper depths.

Normal and stable

Fair

Normal fishing

Experiment with your favorite baits and lures.

Falling

Degrading

Most active fishing

Speed up lures. Surface and shallow running lures may work well.

Slightly lower

Usually cloudy

Many fish will head away from cover and seek shallower waters. Some fish will become more aggressive.

Use shallow running lures at a moderate speed.

Low

Rainy and stormy

Fish will tend to become less active the longer this period remains.

As the action subsides, try fishing at deeper depths.

ran across this article thought i would share

mudbug
05-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Velveeta Cheese ( spelled something like that) or Dew worms work well there when fishing from the shoreline. Don't substitute on the cheese though, for some reason Velveeta seems to work the best in any trout lake :shark:

I've actually caught some nice rainbow there trolling using a Willow Leaf set up with a piece of Dew worm about 18" behind it trolling in the rain there. I have just as much luck at Carson no matter what the weathers been like fishing. It's been a few years since I was out there but it's always been a favorite spot to spend some time camping and fishing at. :)

RainbowKiller
07-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I find that a really light rain is good for dry fly fishing, because it seems to knock the insects out of the air, and the trout take quick advantage of the disadvantaged bug.. I also think that having slightly choppy water is better than dead calm for the reason thatthe fish are less easily spooked and seem to be more active. On days when the water looks like a sheet of glass i catch almost nothing..