PDA

View Full Version : Lesser slave Info needed ASAP

savagencounter
05-20-2010, 07:05 PM
planning on going up there this weekend with the kids the forcast is looking pretty gloomy but my question is on the wind being projected at 5-10 km per hour, how choppy does the lake get with that amout of wind and are there any protected bays with camping nearby? we have a 14 foot zodiac with a 9.9 never fished there yet so not really knowing what to expect. any help would be appriciated. Is there usually camping spaces left for drop ins on the long weekends or will we have to make our own on crown land? The other option we have is to go to cold lake the forcast seems a bit better there? any suggestions? and hey we are going friday 2 adults 30s and 3 kids 10,5 and 2 if there is anyone who wants to join us pm me asap thanks guys and hope everyone has a great may long. FISH ON.

crown royal 17
05-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I live on the east side of Slave the channel going out on the lake is narrow and shallow right now, patience and slower speeds heading out a must.As for the winds if coming out of the east the lake on this side is pretty calm if coming from the west the lake can get rough but you can park your boat in front of dog island to get out of the waves.
Free Tip :jigs and minnows but thaw out your minnows
:9' to 15' water
:still fish right off the bottom
Walleye's can't resist also patience they will bite.
My good deed for the season to newcomers.

noslack
05-20-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm not too familiar with the camping, but I live in Town. What I can say is that I've seen alot of bears within close proximity of Town. Near the Cornerstone and right at the cemetary. Keep your eyes open if doing the Crown Land way.

The lake is very low. The "new" shoreline is about 30-40 feet away from where it was last year. I wouldn't trust the weather man, waves on Lesser Slave.....um.....Ever been to the Ocean? Waves can get pretty big in a short time out there.

I've heard that the river mouth (West of highway 88) is hard to get to because of a sand bar at the river mouth, but you have a Zodiak so it shouldn't be a problem. People are launching at other spots (ie Canyon Creek).

Have fun!!

I'm doing my Walleye opener tonight at 12:01 am!! :fighting0021:

crown royal 17
05-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Oh yeah forgot to say lived here my whole life fished almost every tourny winter and open water.Tomorrow is open the tips I gave always work openning day.
Have fun and be safe and don't forget your boat operator licence.

outdoors forever
05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Hilliards Bay Prvincial Park is on the west side of the lake, nice big campground, power and water to the sites, ( 190 camping stalls ) rare that it gets full on May Long. Nice tree cover in the campground, lots of spruce. No reservations, so first come, first serve, they are open today, May 20.

The boat launch is terrible, the water levels are too low. You should be able to launch your boat, however, there is access to the lake, its just very shallow. Smaller aluminums and rafts should not have a problem.

I recommend you go there, two big playgrounds for the kids, shower building with hot water and flush toilets, it really is a nice place.

Good luck fishing! The walleye usually are biting fairly good right around now.

mooseknuckle
05-20-2010, 11:47 PM
5-10kmph winds. In a zodiak your all good obviously use caution and always be consious of weather conditions but I think you'll be just fine. I would give you my tips on slave as far as fishing but.. I have none.

TUFFBUFF
05-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Um - we've wind surfed there a couple summers ago. If the wind is bad try the launch at Faust, the lake will be generally calmer there

noslack
05-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Make sure to check up on the regs.

Only half the lake is open and only to above the weir.

noslack
05-21-2010, 08:32 PM
So I went out for a quick fish this morning right before work (4am to 7am) and I caught 13 walleye from shore. I don't keep much fish, maybe couple meals a year.

Nothing huge to report about other then a 20 incher.

Also had to inform a group from Edmonton that they weren't alloud to fish below the weir. The had a nice Jack on and a cooler in trunk of the car.... "They said no no it's open..." "I called them, they said it was open"

Well they didn't read or completely understand the regs. They didn't stay too long! lol

Watch out for the snow!