PDA

View Full Version : Recreational Power Sports

thundergrey
05-20-2010, 10:19 PM
A little bit ago I bought a motor that "ran great the last time I had it out but it has been sitting for a couple years" off a guy. Well after 3 good afternoons of pulling and pilling and pulling my arm hurt too much and I was out of ideas. Brought my 9.8 merc into them and from what I have seen she runs great. Turns out that when the previous owner made his homemade carb gasket he forgot to punch a hole in it that acts as a fuel pump of sorts. I don't know how he ever "had it running great" but I think he was full of it. My $500 great deal of a motor is now a $925 ok deal. I have a awesome running 9.8 for may long and I guess that's all that matters. Thanks Steven @ RPS!

Tiny
05-20-2010, 11:50 PM
For me with motors.......it's always a new plug, then make sure its got good spark. Next is off to the fuel system, if you didn't smell gas from being flooded after pulling and pulling then thats your problem.......time to check filters and gaskets and carb/choke..... hmmmm i am guessing they charged you 425 for a 5 dollar gasket and a half hour work. Maybe it's just me but i wouldn't be thanking them

mooseknuckle
05-21-2010, 12:01 AM
For me with motors.......it's always a new plug, then make sure its got good spark. Next is off to the fuel system, if you didn't smell gas from being flooded after pulling and pulling then thats your problem.......time to check filters and gaskets and carb/choke..... hmmmm i am guessing they charged you 425 for a 5 dollar gasket and a half hour work. Maybe it's just me but i wouldn't be thanking them

X2 wasn't impressed at all with there service or lack there of. Searching past threads you probably could have gotten help from this forum and payed a couple of bucks for parts. Sorry probably don't want to hear that. Glad to hear you got a decent running motor for your weekend.

thundergrey
05-21-2010, 02:13 PM
I donno, I am just happy it got fixed. I dont think I would have figured that out. Not before may long anyways. They also fixed some seals in the leg that would have left me oilless mid year and some throttle linkage parts...

$120/hour is always a hit and it adds up very fast. I feel bad for the mechanic that makes $23/hr and I would sure rather pay that. But unless you know someone thats what you pay.