PDA

View Full Version : Baitholder barbs - CLARIFICATION

Geezle
05-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Well, baitholder hooks and the little barbs on the shank have come up in discussion here a number of times now. Some say they're okay, some don't.

Well, I finally got around to e-mailing Alberta F&W to find out what the actual rule is. Here's the reply I recieved:

Thank you for your inquiry.

In Alberta, anglers must only use hooks that are barbless hooks. The very small ”barbs” on the shank of bait hooks are also known as “baitholder slices” and do not perform the same function as the main barb. The main barb assists in retaining fish on the hook whereas the baitholder slices on the shank function to keep bait in a fixed location on your hook. Although anglers are required to pinch or remove (such as by filing) the barbs on hooks, Alberta’s fishing regulations do not require you to pinch or remove the baitholder slices on the shank.

When a person uses pliers to pinch the barbs on their hooks, the barb often breaks off and leaves only a nub. It is likely that this nub will still allow for the quick release of fish. If you break off any barbs and you suspect that the remaining nub could still act as an obstruction when releasing fish, I would suggest using a file (or an abrasive surface such as a sharpening stone) to smooth the remaining nub.

Should you need any further details regarding provincial sportfishing laws, I would encourage you to contact the local Fish and Wildlife Division office in your area or the office nearest the body of water where you intend to fish. For toll-free access to most Alberta Government offices, dial 310-0000 while in Alberta.

Ben Branscombe

Regulations Officer

Alberta Fish and Wildlife Division

So yeah, baitholders are all good :cool:

edit: for anybody who's not sure, this is the type of hook in question
http://ttiblakemore.com/shop/images/Hooks/TRU-TURN/303ZS.jpg

flygirrl
05-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks Geezle, I use these type hooks when I baitfish all the time and have never pinched the barb back. Couldnt imagine a F&W Officer explaining to the Judge how these barbs retain a fish. Reallly nice to know. Maybe I should copy and print this out just in case. nah, Court might be intresting on that one...

rider pride
05-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I had read the other posts and thought i had to pinch the bait holder barbs but i couldn't figure out what they had to do with the releasing of the fish. I think i will still get in contact with Fish & Wildlife here and see what they say. Don't what a fine!!:)

Geezle
05-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks Geezle, I use these type hooks when I baitfish all the time and have never pinched the barb back. Couldnt imagine a F&W Officer explaining to the Judge how these barbs retain a fish. Reallly nice to know. Maybe I should copy and print this out just in case. nah, Court might be intresting on that one...

I've been using these hooks for quite a while as well, and I'd been checked by fish cops a number of times and they've never said anything about them. But there was a thread recently about barbs again, and somebody was insisting that the baitholder 'slices' were active barbs and needed to be pinched.

Now we don't have to argue about this anymore :)

gprime27
05-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Well, this is a very intresting read. I can't tell you the number of times my buddy and I have been told to remove those bait holder barbs. I might just have to print this and leave it in my tackle box for further info :)

plinker
05-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for taking the time to clarify this and post it Geezle, A copy of this will be in my tackle box also.:character0053:

nicemustang
05-23-2010, 11:26 AM
To me, barbless means no barbs, period. Plus the times i've been checked by F&W said they have to pinched and one at newell while shore fishing made my buddy to do it front of him on him pickeral rig or he was getting a ticket. Myself with the style of fishing I do, I don't use these style of hooks any way.

floppychicken
05-23-2010, 02:09 PM
To me, barbless means no barbs, period. Plus the times i've been checked by F&W said they have to pinched and one at newell while shore fishing made my buddy to do it front of him on him pickeral rig or he was getting a ticket. Myself with the style of fishing I do, I don't use these style of hooks any way.

Yeah I'm pretty much of the same frame of mind...
Way easier and more 'EFFECTIVE' ways to keep your bait on the hook anyway. Although they may be LEGAL (do your own 'Due Dilligence') I used to use those ALL the time when I was younger when "LIVE BAIT FISH" was LEGAL. Those hooks DEFINITELY INCREASE fish mortality. Hooking a fish 'DEEP' will be 'that much harder' to remove by you OR by the FISH if indeed the hook needs to be left in... I also noticed that even SHALLOW hook penetrations were problematic as the BARBS 'could and would' slice the delicate blood filled Gill filaments due to the barb's pointing UP instead of down... Anyway, just my .02 cents.

Cheers,

DarkAisling
05-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks for checking this out and posting the results, Jay.

Thanks, FC, for pointing out the issues that arise in using these hooks. It helps one make a decision as to using them.

That said, I might give these hooks a shot. My bait jettisoned off of my hook mid flight almost every cast today (before switching to a pickerel rig). I've never had that happen before. Couldn't figure out what was up.

Ken07AOVette
05-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Good Job Jizelle. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

ice
05-23-2010, 09:05 PM
actually always thought about that myself always have pinched them. because of the barbish ways. now that i know its all good.
Thanks man!:)

ice:confused0074:

GMac
05-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks Jay

I always wanted to know what was the correct rule to this. Way to go:happy0034:

Geezle
05-23-2010, 09:47 PM

:sign0176: :lol:

Albertadiver
05-23-2010, 10:08 PM

:love0025:

Thanks fer the research! That's why I enjoy this forum!

ToCatch
05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
thanks for the info....maybe I'll go through a little less bait now!!! was never sure on this one.

mooseknuckle
05-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Good to know jay. It's always been a gray area in regards to this. So in your picture there the 2 little barbs on the shaft are good and obviously the lower (larger) one must be pinched. I don't use this type of hook alot but if I ever get down to the river I think they would be really effective keeping bait on with a current.

J-C
05-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Use a hook that is not a barbless hook. (Click here for definition of barbless hook.)
•Use more than one line when angling into open water.
•Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.
•While angling be further than 30 m from any line in the water.
•Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).
•Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.
•Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft (see Important Definitions).
I believe the very last point in the regulations would imply you can use a baitholder hook as long as there's no more than 3. That's my interpretation.

DarkAisling
05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
I believe the very last point in the regulations would imply you can use a baitholder hook as long as there's no more than 3. That's my interpretation.

Nope. The last point means you can use a hook that has as many as three points. See the image below for clarification on what a "point" is:

http://www.abc-of-fishing.net/images/pics/fish-hook-characteristics.gif

A treble hook has three points. The baitholder hook that Jay has posted a picture of has one point.

You may legally use up to three hooks at a time on your rod, and they can all have three points (for a total of nine points).

But, none of those points may be barbed.

Walleye101
05-24-2010, 08:04 PM
It works well if you put a small peice of elastic band on the hook after you put the bait on. I use tiny black o-rings on mine! Works perfect.

Dougie55
05-25-2010, 05:08 AM
Glad you checked it out Jay. Thanks
As far as losing bait, I just cut or bite off a tiny bit of a jig body I keep on me, and put it behind the bait. Works like a charm.

Need More Fish'n time
05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Jay, thanks for doing your homework on this. I don't use these often ...but now if ever I do, I know I'm not going aginst the regs.