PDA

View Full Version : Know your products!

Geezle
05-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Just a small pet peeve of mine. On Saturday I was in one of the big sporting goods stores, and we needed a couple spinnerbaits to toss at the pike in the river. Wandered the aisles for a couple minutes looking for them, and I found a girl stocking the shelves. I asked her where the spinnerbaits were and she just kinda looked at me confused, and told me to ask the 'other guy' in the department. So I wandered around a little more and found the other guy who was also stocking shelves. I told him I was looking for spinnerbaits, and he actually asked me "what are those?" :huh: I described them to him as best I could, threw out the brand name 'Booyah' and still he had no idea. Finally he went and got a 3rd guy who took us to to the spinnerbaits which were the next aisle over from where I found guy #2.

I dunno...I would just think that the people who stock the shelves would know where the products are. Maybe I expect too much? :confused:

Ruger1022
05-25-2010, 07:22 AM
I think its more of a " do it yourself store"..and wow they get $11 an hour.

Geezle
05-25-2010, 07:25 AM
If you're such a genius maybe you should work at BPS so we can all ask you where stuff is.

When you pay 11 bucks an hour you're not gonna be hiring experts.:confused0024:

Who said it was BPS?

I don't think a person needs to be an expert to tell me where a specific item (given by brand name) is on a shelf...especially if they're the one putting the stuff on the shelves. Am I really that far off base on that one? :confused:

flygirrl
05-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Who said it was BPS?

I don't think a person needs to be an expert to tell me where a specific item (given by brand name) is on a shelf...especially if they're the one putting the stuff on the shelves. Am I really that far off base on that one? :confused:

You should expect that anyone who works in a store should know where everything is and I dont care if its a huge store. The only time I dont expect someone to know where it is is if they are in training. This is not the employee's fault unfortunatly, it is management. They dont want to put the time and effort into training. That being said there is person # 1 who should have at least found the person who knows where things are, thats only common sense. I dont know how many people I have helped in a store and I dont even work there..

TexasTornado
05-25-2010, 07:55 AM
I asked a guy where the 3-way swivels were and he looked at me like I was from space and said "I don't think we have any of those", I just laughed. One of these days I am going to ask them if they sell checkered spray paint for decorating spoons.

Ken07AOVette
05-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I asked a guy where the 3-way swivels were and he looked at me like I was from space and said "I don't think we have any of those", I just laughed. One of these days I am going to ask them if they sell checkered spray paint for decorating spoons.

ROFL!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Mudslide
05-25-2010, 10:31 AM
WOW TT! You're a real hero.

whitewolf
05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
lol at tt...let me know when your going to do that as i want to be there....hahahaha

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-25-2010, 11:52 AM
I hear you Jay , youd think these stores that are Specialty fishing and hunting stuff would have people in these area's that know what there talking about , keep the people with no clue for the till .

TexasTornado That is awesome you need to tape record this ... would be great to listen to over and over again . I can just hear it now , little Jimmy Ummmm ummm ummm Let me phone my supervisor :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcastic lol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Geezle
05-25-2010, 09:12 PM

Bwahaha! That's a wicked idea! :lol:

If you ever do decide to do this you are now obliged to post the results...ideally in video format :cool:

And John, at this particular store, I think they might need more tills for the clueless ones :o

hockey1099
05-25-2010, 09:46 PM
at minimum wage i doubt these big chains have a difficult time finding people both willing to work and interested in hunting and fishing. That or the kids might be having fun with the customers by telling them they dont know or pointing them in the wrong direction.

I worked at IGA as a teen and we had an unofficial policy of offering to go check the back to see if we had a particular item in stock and never bothering to come back out. We generally took that as break time.

nick0danger
05-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I bought some SK's there once (cowboy boots for the city folk) and the guy that help me with the boots, was behind the gun counter not a 2 weeks later, he had never fired a gun before.

Cal
05-25-2010, 10:37 PM
A couple weeks ago I overheard a woman asking the sporting goods personell at Crappy Tire what length shotgun shell to buy. He couldnt tell her which length was standard so I told her 2 3/4". She then asked me which shells were best for shooting ducks. At that point I noticed she was of first nations decent and clammed up and left. Understand that I dont harbor any ill will agains Natives, I will not however aid anyone shooting ducks in April. Back to the main point, kind of dangerous having a sporting goods guy who cant tell a costomer what length of shotshell is standard.