PDA

View Full Version : Who wastes pike?!

Geezle
05-25-2010, 07:02 AM
I just remembered this. On Sunday I was out and about and stumbled across a spot where the highway crosses the Sturgeon River. I had my gear with me in the Jeep, so I decided to stop and see if there was anything down there. When I got down to the water I found 2 small (maybe around 12-14") pike laying in the grass on shore. Really...who would do this?! And why? :angry3:

Albertafisher
05-25-2010, 12:54 PM
That is really (insert angered, shocked or annoyed word here)! like seriously, who would do that, I know a lot of people waste burbot while ice fishing (still wrong), but why pike? I've never heard of that before..

LIVINGLEGEND
05-25-2010, 03:53 PM
I was ice fishing on Rattlesnake Lake by Med Hat about 10 years ago, back when the Perch fishing was tremendous.

I headed to one of the more productive spots on the lake and was shocked and disgusted to find about 3 dozen tiny, cigar sized pike strewn all over the ice.

I couldn't believe what I was looking at. We punched some holes and sure enough, started getting hit after hit from these little 6-8 inch pike.

I guess the creeps that had preceded us there had grown weary of dealing with the little fellas messing up their perching so they simple left them to flop around on the ice.

It still rates as one of the most disgusting acts I've ever seen in the field.

Geezle
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
That is really (insert angered, shocked or annoyed word here)! like seriously, who would do that, I know a lot of people waste burbot while ice fishing (still wrong), but why pike? I've never heard of that before..

Me neither, that's why I was so shocked. I just don't get why a person would do this? :confused:

CeeZee
05-25-2010, 09:27 PM
i hear ya! When ice fishing in manitoba on East Angling Lake there would be people that come from SK to strickly perch fish and they would do the same with the pike, but would leave some better sized ones on the ice too! They didnt want them to keep coming around and wreckin their perch rigs. It used to really get under my dad's skin lol. It is such a waste and you wonder why fisheries get weak.

ishootbambi
05-26-2010, 01:01 AM
when i was about 13 i went to the creek near my house after school for a little pike fishing. my buddy and i found about a dozen pike dried in the sun on the bank. we were a little peeved at the time. after fishing for about an hour 2 other kids showed up looking to do the same. we pointed to the dead fish and asked somewhat rhetorically who would do something so stupid. the other kids said they did it the day before. i asked them why the hell would they leave them on shore instead of releasing them. they said they wanted to leave them where they could be found in case their friends didnt believe them when they said they caught a bunch of fish. :mad3: of course i told them they are effin idiots, and they yapped back and i yapped back....remember we were all teenagers at the time. anyway, one of them said to me that i should shut up or he was gonna shut me up. :fighting0030: well....okay....so he left soon after leaking from the snout. i think back now and still cant believe i got into a fist fight over some fish. :sign0161: maybe not the most mature way to handle it....but again...i was 13. i guess i was a little passionate about conservation then as i still am today. with any luck that guy still remembers that day too when he thinks about wasting albertas resources.:shake:

floppychicken
05-26-2010, 01:58 AM
I confess, I was certainly guilty as a Kid back in the day. Not with Pike but with two 'other' species of fish. Sunfish and eels. I eventually learned to respect ALL FISH when I reached the age of 11 or 12, but yeah, I killed a LOT of SUNFISH and ANY eel that hooked itself on the end of my line....

hustler
05-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Honestly I like burbots...... i do alot of cajun cooking so they work well so ive never tossed a single fish on the ice even scored a few when other guys packed up. But i did see 4 or 5 pike in the ditch at coal lake last year around 14-18 inches and it really ****ed me off.
we went home that day with no keepers to eat and some jerk kept them anyways and just tossed them.

mudbug
05-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Some people are just well......... stupid. It always amazes me how people like that made it this far along through time. You think a saber tooth gopher would have eleiminated them from the gene pool centuries ago. :angry3:

big
05-27-2010, 12:23 AM
when i was about 13 i went to the creek near my house after school for a little pike fishing. my buddy and i found about a dozen pike dried in the sun on the bank. we were a little peeved at the time. after fishing for about an hour 2 other kids showed up looking to do the same. we pointed to the dead fish and asked somewhat rhetorically who would do something so stupid. the other kids said they did it the day before. i asked them why the hell would they leave them on shore instead of releasing them. they said they wanted to leave them where they could be found in case their friends didnt believe them when they said they caught a bunch of fish. :mad3: of course i told them they are effin idiots, and they yapped back and i yapped back....remember we were all teenagers at the time. anyway, one of them said to me that i should shut up or he was gonna shut me up. :fighting0030: well....okay....so he left soon after leaking from the snout. i think back now and still cant believe i got into a fist fight over some fish. :sign0161: maybe not the most mature way to handle it....but again...i was 13. i guess i was a little passionate about conservation then as i still am today. with any luck that guy still remembers that day too when he thinks about wasting albertas resources.:shake:

ok then tough guy

ishootbambi
05-27-2010, 01:22 AM
i guess you didnt pick up on my sheepishness in posting that. i did say more than once it was not likely the best way to handle the situation.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: i was also 13....how old are you wanting to punch that WFN Green guy in the face?:fighting0030:

snsn
05-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Karmas a real bitch! Ever wonder why some people just come to an untimely end?????
Something to think about ;-)

podman
05-27-2010, 01:30 PM
As kids we did it with a fish pond. Kids threw pike in the trout pond and every year during the stocking of the pond all they did was feed the pike. There were hardly any trout after a couple of weeks and it was not from kids fishing. So we would catch the pike and kill them or try and get them to the creek which was a bit away. I usually took them home for my cat who loved pike. A good size pike would feed him for a week.

Anyways we wanted to save our trout so the pike had to go. They were fun to spearfish as well. And in that little pond they got pretty big thanks to the yearly stocking or feeding.

big
05-28-2010, 04:16 PM
i guess you didnt pick up on my sheepishness in posting that. i did say more than once it was not likely the best way to handle the situation.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: i was also 13....how old are you wanting to punch that WFN Green guy in the face?:fighting0030:

how did you know i posted that....stalker

wouldn't we all want to punch that guy in the face? what a ferry ! hahah:bad_boys_20:

Big Red 250
05-28-2010, 04:35 PM
i hear ya! When ice fishing in manitoba on East Angling Lake there would be people that come from SK to strickly perch fish and they would do the same with the pike, but would leave some better sized ones on the ice too! They didnt want them to keep coming around and wreckin their perch rigs. It used to really get under my dad's skin lol. It is such a waste and you wonder why fisheries get weak.

I used to fish that lake too, must have been back in the 90's. I've also seen pike on the ice there.