PDA

View Full Version : anyone launch a boat at Coal Lake this year?

hustler
05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
I was out last weekend on the north launch at coal and the water was lower than all the concrete..... even patio blocks someone donated to the launch.
Im wondering if anyone had success launching without sinking the trailer in mud or getting passed the shallow weeds into the lake? And if the weeds are any worse than last year before the dog leg?
Ive got a 19 foot deep V so when she is sitting on a dune...... i need 4 guys to push her off
Thanks
Mel

randster
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I was out last weekend on the north launch at coal and the water was lower than all the concrete..... even patio blocks someone donated to the launch.
Im wondering if anyone had success launching without sinking the trailer in mud or getting passed the shallow weeds into the lake? And if the weeds are any worse than last year before the dog leg?
Ive got a 19 foot deep V so when she is sitting on a dune...... i need 4 guys to push her off
Thanks
Mel

I read some where recently that several boat lanches are closed this year due to low water levels. Including north end of Coal lake. I assumed they would barricade it off or at least put signs up. :)

redneck posse
05-25-2010, 05:50 PM
was out there this am. I'm guessing you would have problems launching anything but maybe a canoe. never seen that lake this low.

hustler
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Awesome, Thanks guys.
Any idea where to find the Low water lake boat launches online?
Sucks getting all rigged up and not being able to even launch

snsn
05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
I bet big lake sod is still sucking water from it though! Are they not able to open the dam a little on the south side? Haven't ever been to the south side so not sure how it is setup. Is it tied in with battle river? Heard that somewhere but didn't check into it.
I think this lake will likely be dead if this keeps up, once those weeds start growing in the now shallower water the oxygen will be sparse imo.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I bet big lake sod is still sucking water from it though! Are they not able to open the dam a little on the south side? Haven't ever been to the south side so not sure how it is setup. Is it tied in with battle river? Heard that somewhere but didn't check into it.
I think this lake will likely be dead if this keeps up, once those weeds start growing in the now shallower water the oxygen will be sparse imo.

See last year when I contacted the County of Wetaskiwin they told me that they had damed the lake as they were going to fix the boat launches they were in severe need of repair . Fair enough , dont think they ever re opened the dam though . And Yes the battle river drains right into the lake .

hustler
05-27-2010, 01:45 PM
If the south launch is where the dam is...... there is 6 inches of water out there. we tried to fish there last year at the dam and you could walk 40 feet out in that bay and not get you knees wet. even the creek that went into that part of the lake was dead..... 3 years ago it was flowing.
And about the weeds, it is twice as bad this year as last just from shore

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-27-2010, 01:56 PM
If the south launch is where the dam is...... there is 6 inches of water out there. we tried to fish there last year at the dam and you could walk 40 feet out in that bay and not get you knees wet. even the creek that went into that part of the lake was dead..... 3 years ago it was flowing.
And about the weeds, it is twice as bad this year as last just from shore

The dam is on the south end but not anywhere you can see it unless you boat north a little ways .

cribfisher
05-27-2010, 08:15 PM
It is the pipestone creek, not the battle river that flows through coal lake.

dave99
05-27-2010, 08:36 PM
x2 on Cribfisher's comment.

Pipestone flows into the SW corner of Coal. The Battle River and Pipestone creek join a few km downstream of the south end of Coal Lake. Hopefully Coal can still have some good fishing this year, despite realllllly low water levels. I was hoping to try my luck at fly fishing for pike sometime in the next coupla weeks.

Dave99

Shiami
05-27-2010, 09:15 PM
My understanding from having lived on the pipestone at the south end of coal lake for two years or so, is that there is a spill-way on the south end of the lake, but not a dam, per se.

I'm not sure that the water level is particularly controllable using the spillway. I never saw a bypass or other valve-controllable feature while fishing there.

I lived there in 1999-2001 or so, and my understanding is that water levels were a bit low those years, but not exceptionally so.