PDA

View Full Version : my DAM reel

Cal
05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Well the wife and I were rooting through the shed today when she stumbled accross a vintage reel I thought I'd lost a few years back. The brand is DAM which I've never heard of but on finding it again in the shed I was as impressed with how smoothly it worked as I was when I first payed five dollers for it at a rumage sale 8 years ago. I spooled it up with some fresh line and my wife, 5 month old daughter, and myself headed down to the Slave river. The high point was when I caught and released a 35" pike but Heather made out nicely as well, catching a couple good walleye with the baby hanging off her in a snugli. At one point she got a tangle in her line with her pickerell rig out in the river, as I was cutting the tangle out and tieing the line back togeather a fish struck and I had to hand line a smallish pike in. Good Times! Glad to have that old tank of a reel hanging off one of my rods again.

Dak1138
05-25-2010, 10:18 PM
DAM ,you are good.

Piker
05-26-2010, 06:03 AM
I have one of those must have purchased it about 45 yrs ago and still works fine. They were made in Germany. Piker

catnthehat
05-26-2010, 06:19 AM
I have a DAM Quick somewhere in my collection - great reels!:)
Cat

Crusty
05-26-2010, 07:09 AM
They were engineered/designed in Germany, made in China. Great reels. Have two or three.

saskbooknut
05-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Sorry Crusty, it ain't so.
When we bought our DAM reels 45 or 50 years ago they were not making anything in China for NA market - the reels that we are so keen on were designed and made in Germany.

Cal
05-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Mine is not a Quick model but an SLS, from what little I could find on the SLS line of reels it was probably made in japan. Very smooth reel with heavy housing and gears in it but some of the drag parts are made out of plastic. That pike put it to the test and it worked as good as any other reel I've owned and better than many.

chad66
05-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I have a DAM Quick somewhere in my collection - great reels!:)
Cat

I have a Dam Quick that I picked up from Branson's Lodge about 25 years ago. It came with a small vial of oil and a spare bail spring, both of which I still have. Caught some nice lakers with that reel.