PDA

View Full Version : Bow mount Minn kota HELP

Gun+Rod
05-25-2010, 10:33 PM
i'm looking at a Terrova 101 minn kota or 9.9 merc kicker? It will be put on a 16.5 deep v. We have a 60hp with a trolling plate. What do you guys suggest? Anyone have the i-pilot or auto pilot features? What are the advantages of both? What about the sonor? Does the minn work in the wind?

Lambo
05-25-2010, 11:13 PM
I've always rigged my boats with a bow-mount electric trolling motor. My boat now is an 17'2" Smokercraft Promag deep V and it's only rigged up with a 12 or 24V 56 lb thrust motor (from the factory). I've got 2 batteries hooked up to it and it easily lasts a whole day of fishing. It has plenty of power trolling up to 2.5 mph except on really windy days. My last boat had the auto pilot minn kota - that was the cat's ass! Point, press and away she goes in that direction regardless of wind. Wish I have it on my current boat but I did rig my current motor with a wireless remote which is really handy too. With all the latest positive reports on i-pilot, I think I'll be getting one soon. I believe the Terrova 101 is a 36V 101 lb thrust. You'll need 3 batteries but will have more than enough power. I've been thinking of getting a kicker motor too and want to match it with my main motor but it's pretty pricey plus the minn kota is working just fine for now.

floppychicken
05-26-2010, 12:59 AM
I have to agree with LAMBO, the i-Pilot is pretty amazing and with the type of Electric you plan on installing will make that boat 'fly along' pretty damn nice. With having the 60hp on the back, you should be able to TROLL all day with that thing... I can easily troll with my 115 optimax and if it get's to the point where I need to slow it down, I'll use a drift sock.
I say save your cash, buy the MINN KOTA with i-Pilot, Kick-ass batteries and you'll never need a kicker.

Also, something to think about... The i-Pilot is just the beginning of this new round of fishing Technology. I think we'll be seeing some VERY COOL things come down the pipe in short time. Unless you're fishing REALLY DEEP, Kickers may be a thing of the past for many of us.

Cheers,

Krisrf
05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
I would agree with what the others are saying. If you like get the bow mount without I pilot and later on put it on. I would definitely have both the autopilot feature as well as the built in transducer so if you ever want to add a bow fishfinder there is no more wires required. One final note is we have a 16 ft 9 deep v fairly heavy that's pushed by a 90 HP and am happy with the 55 thrust terrova on it which is hooked up to be charged by the 90 and only requires one battery. Just a thought but I think the 101 would be overkill.

nicemustang
05-26-2010, 07:39 AM
One thing to think about. If you run a sonar off the bow mount, it won't work unless its in the water. That's a duh moment I know, but really that means you need two sonars now because you aren't going to be cruising around the lake with your bow mount down.

Ipilot is bomb, it does everything for you and is a co-pilot and auto-pilot together. 101 lbs is nice, but probably overkill, you can do a powerdrive v2 70 lb and have lots of thrust. I have a 18.5 fiberglass and the 70 lb is more than enough in the wind.

bardfromedson
05-26-2010, 11:26 AM
i have a kicker and a bow mount and use the bowmount 90% of the time. only need for a kicker in big wind or fast trolling. you can get away with using your big motor with a trolling plate. might want to get a drift sock to slow your troll down if your big motor cant idle down far enough. don't bother with a kicker until you have a bowmount.

bowfin
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
i would get the 101 and i pilot if cash was not a issue i have the 80 copilot and when its windy in 2 ft waves sure wish i had 101 the 80 is good when not windy but when it is have to use both the kicker and minnkota to keep me on the structure while bottom bouncing i have a 18 ft crestliner get the 101 you wont regret it and the ipilot jmo.

Gun+Rod
05-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys your answers are very helpful. Anyone know of some great deals on a minn?