PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected catches

Geezle
05-26-2010, 06:28 AM
On Saturday I managed to get out for a little while with another board member to fish the river for some pike for a while.

After chucking hardware for a while I wanted to take a break, so I tossed out a minnow under a bobber and just let it float around for a while. After a bit I got bored with waiting for something to happen with the bait, so I started to quickly reel in the minnow while walking back to my tackle box to change it up.

Well as I was walking and reeling I snagged on a branch. I stopped walking. turned around and gave the line a yank to get it off the branch it was stuck on, and about a second after freeing my hook from the branch, I saw this little (2lb-ish) pike come flying out of nowhere and smash that minnow!

It actually made me laugh out loud. He wasn't a big fish at all, but he just wasn't supposed to hit that hook! :lol:

So lets hear some of your guys' stories of unexpected catches :)

gramps73
05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Strange for me but nit to other that I have told...
Was fishing Newell a few years back with the kids and hooked on to something that was jumping right away, thought it has to be a trout. Sure enough it was a 4 lbs rainbow trout..:sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
05-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Tossing a fly for trout at High River way back, ended up hooking a beaver. Didnt have my beaver license so I just broke the line off. Who wants to eat a beaver anyways.:thinking-006:

Geezle
05-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Tossing a fly for trout at High River way back, ended up hooking a beaver. Didnt have my beaver license so I just broke the line off. Who wants to eat a beaver anyways.

Well...depending on the circumstances and the beaver in question... :evilgrin:

sco22
05-26-2010, 07:51 AM
That was a little too easy. . .funny though.

Cheers.

the local angler
05-26-2010, 08:25 AM
but would make a nice hat or a pair of gloves. lol

hustler
05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
caught a carp trolling at the end of a day with a crank at coal last year. they were jumping for bugs i think right as the sun went down.

DaveFish
05-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Caught a muskrat years ago on hasse casting off the canoe, thought I had a monster trout, the second it surfaced I cut the line, poor little bugger.

Cal
05-26-2010, 12:03 PM
I've caught a couple huge goldeye while trolling 6" rapalla's in the slave river for pike and walleye. Yesterday my wife had her pickerell rig casted out and got a tangle in her line, I cut the tangle out and was about to tie the line back togeather when a smallish pike hit and I had to hand line him in. And here's a picture of my wife and a snapping turtle she caught on a cane pole in Michigan.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/USRoadTrip111111111111.jpg

Now that little bastard was hard to unhook, any time you tryed to grab the hook he would either pull his head into his shell or try and bite me. I eventualy just cut the line.

WaterSkeeter
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Ibv had a duck fly into my backcast while flyfishing, that was a fight and man they nip hard. Caught a Gardner (sp?) snake on the fly, he was swimming in the water and he must have swam across my line and I hooked him, not a very good fight but he got off the hook in my boat and slithered around, hard to catch, also leave a nasty odor all over everything.:scared0015:

Trey
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
ive caught 2 birds in my life. 1st was a great blue heron when i was a kid standing on a dock (comox marina B.C.) i was catching bullheads, small rockfish, and shiners. and wham i thought i had a mosnter fish. but the first thing i seen was a wing that had surfaced and then the rest of the bird. the thing was diving for the fish i was catching, and grabbed onto my lure, and got tangled in my line. but the funny part was i was unsure on how i was gonna get this thing off. so i yanked really hard and the lure came off, flew past my friend and nailed me square in the balls. the bird was floating there staring at me with a bunch of messed up feathers on his back.

2nd we were salmon fishing and there were a school of salmon driving up a school of herring, making them jump, and a bunch of sh*thawks (sea gulls) were swooping and eating the herring. so naturally we were using herring for bait, this one ****hawk seen me throw a herring out there and before it sank this bird had his wings cocked back and dove into this baitfish and started to fly away. it was kinda funny the four of us passing off this rod and playing with this bird. it was flying laps around the boat. we'd let out a bunch of line and then yank him down about 10 feet and watch him start flapping to try and get back his lost altitude. nobody wanted to touch it so we eventually cut the line.

ive caught some other things too, a few starfish. a sea cucumber. i somehow got a clam to close on my line just before my buzz bomb. an icefishing rod and reel.

i watched a friend reel in an octopus once.

i watched a friend catch a sculpin on a 4" buzz bomb he was holding the lure and the fish tried to bit him. but bit the buzz bomb in half instead. and smacked his head off the side of the boat, and fell back into the water

was at chickadee lake (dennman island) when i was a kid in scouts and watched another scout member cast the end half of his rod up and over a dead branch and into the water. he had the rod halfway up off the lake and a small rainbow hit his hook we stood around and had a good laugh as he reeled this fish into the tree with the end of his rod. he ended up yanking really hard and broke the branch. and let the fish go

i also caught myself with a rapala in the back while trying to use the biggest lure in all of our boxes to catch a bicycle helmet that was floating upside down in the beaver pond. i was about 10 years old. i was swinging it around like a flyrod. but i had a spinning rod with a broken tip. i felt it slap me on the back and i followed thru and pulled a few hooks into my back. my friend bit thru the line and i had to ride my bike home crying with a lure in my back. then my stepdad tried to pull it out. which hurt like hell. so he drove me to the hospital and they froze it and took it out. but they had to cut off my favorite shirt.

Chris84
05-26-2010, 02:37 PM
I once caught a little sparrow, he ran into my line and it got wrapped around his wing. I had to reel him in unwrap the line and he was good to go.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
This isnt really an unexpected catch as it was pure skill :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: LOL .

Was at Pigeon lake , one of my Favoirte fishing places . We were fishing Casting out my minnow and jig head , under slip bobber .

I catch a nice walleye , and SNAP line breaks , so I quickly re tie and cast as I can see my bobber moving knew hook was still in the fish . So I cast the new line back out right on top of em , gave it a little twitch BANG fish on . Got my gear back and a 5 pounder . That was a good day .

Another time I was at Skeleton lake Ice fishing , fishing about 13 foot of water , catching perch . I hook onto a decent perch , as im pulling it out the hole , instantly fish gains about 15 pounds . HUH , so I keep pulling it out and Looky here a nice pike 15 or so pounder about 40 or so inches . That damn pike wanted to eat that perch , and torpedoed out that hole . But as soon as it hit the ice , one or two quick tail flaps back down the hole , Ive never dropped to my knees so fast and instantly elbow deep icey frozen lake water , Missed em . Man that was a nice pike . I was about 13 or 14 years old that woulda been a wall hanger then .

DAMN I LOVE FISHING . UGHHHHH heres to leg healing and me getting out sooner then later .:fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing:

BlackHeart
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
When we were kids and fishing a small creek. No luck after a few hours. Brother got his line tangled some how and was trying to untangle it right by shore. The red devil hook was barely in the water, in only a couple of inches of water and a few inches from shore. All of a sudden this pike swims right up, snatches the lure and splashes back into the creek. Never thought they would be able to see or feel or go after a lure that shallow. That was the only fish we caught that day.

WayneChristie
05-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I was fishing around Red Deer a long time ago with my brother and brother in law. Hooked into something that felt like a monster in the fast current. Finally got it into sight, it turned out to be a big flat rock about a foot across, my hook was snagged in the middle and the current was yanking it in all directions. Fought better than the fish we caught that day so I didnt really care. Kinda hard to fillet tho.

bigfis
05-27-2010, 04:44 PM
my first cast ever is somthing I don think meny have caght it was a huge duck the guy beside me had his hunting licens with him and whated to keep it yey right

Fishfinder
05-27-2010, 05:04 PM
A giant rock at Babine Lake in B.C. musta been 30#s. 3-4 times the size of my head for sure. Was a grueling 20 minute fight haha on a lil kids rod. The hook was barely in it's side. Can't believe it stayed on. Thought I had a fish of a lifetime....not so much. Only thing I caught all week:sign0161:

alodar
05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
well...depending on the circumstances and the beaver in question... :evilgrin:

lol

lone wolf
05-27-2010, 06:29 PM
A group of us used to ocean fish regularly for ground fish (cod, pollack, rays etc ...). When we had a newbie on the boat, we would wait for them to go below deck to use the washroom, then we would quickly reel in their line, tie a large bucket on the end & lower it back to the seabed. When they returned we would indicate that they had had a bite. The unsuspecting angler would then 'set the hook' and start 'fighting' the bucket. When there was a tide running the bucket could actually put up quite a struggle :lol: Always fun to see their faces when the catch came to the surface. Most would take it really well, although one guy actually grabbed the bucket & doused all the perpetrators.

eternal fisherman
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I was fishing at the Genessee bridge last summer, and when I was reeling in, snagged some old line in the water. After unwrapping it from my hook, I started pulling it in to see if there was a hook attached to it. Lo and behold, I feel the line start tugging in my hand, so I started reefing it in as fast as possible. On the end of it was a 6 lb pike. No much of a fight, because the fish was exhausted, but I got a new white devil spoon, and the fish got another chance at life.

Another time I was down on the point in Wabamun trying out some new lures. I was waded out in the water, and on my first cast with my new $12 lure, by line wrapped on my reel, and SNAP...all I could do was curse as I watched my new lure sail through the air to oblivion. As I'm standing there, I literally hang my head, shaking it, and notice something on the lake bed right by my foot. I reach down, and it's a new lure someone had lost. I figured "what the hell", and rigged up a new leader, threw the hook on, and went back at it. First cast with it I nailed an 8lb pike. Ended up catching 14 jack in three hours with that lure, and nobody else caught a thing. :sHa_shakeshout:

Trey
05-28-2010, 07:27 PM
A group of us used to ocean fish regularly for ground fish (cod, pollack, rays etc ...). When we had a newbie on the boat, we would wait for them to go below deck to use the washroom, then we would quickly reel in their line, tie a large bucket on the end & lower it back to the seabed. When they returned we would indicate that they had had a bite. The unsuspecting angler would then 'set the hook' and start 'fighting' the bucket. When there was a tide running the bucket could actually put up quite a struggle :lol: Always fun to see their faces when the catch came to the surface. Most would take it really well, although one guy actually grabbed the bucket & doused all the perpetrators.

that is awesome

alpineguy
05-28-2010, 07:55 PM
A couple of years ago some buddies and I were up at our fly in camp in Northern Sask.. One of the guys had his rod hanging over the back of the boat as he took off from shore. Somewhere between 50 and 100 feet off shore his brand new bait caster and rod flipped out of the boat. It just so happens that this spot off shore drops really fast so there was no way to see the rig on bottom. Over the next 2 days we would take some time and cast heavy lures out in an attempt to snag his rod. On the second day I hooked into something heavy and when I pulled it onto shore it was a big branchy limb off a tree and tangled inside the limb was my buddy's rod and reel. How lucky is that!!

fish4fun
05-29-2010, 12:05 PM
i was fishin 4 pike at coal lake last year and snagged a branch and lost my favorite lure. deterimened not to let this happen again i went to crappy tire just after leaving the lake replaced my favorite lure and bought some power pro 50lbs test .when i returned the next day i contintued fishing in the same spot as the day before after about 20 casts and a few hammer handle pike i snagged something. so i gave it a few good plucks it let go confident that i had bought the right line 4 the job i quickly reeled in and as i get my hook to shore i notice something attached it was the hook i had lost the day before.here are some of the other things ive caught at coal.reel[still works to this day],clam[actually closed its shell on my hook i ate]ice fishing rod[last friday] beaver[thier pretty fricken mean when u get them to shore but the hook had sentimental values so i wrasled the bastard and got er back.

FishingFrenzy
06-06-2010, 08:20 AM
caught a carp trolling at the end of a day with a crank at coal last year. they were jumping for bugs i think right as the sun went down.

Carp in coal lake? are you sure it wasen't a big sucker? that lake has lots of decent sized white suckers. but there shouldn't be carp.......

Fishfinder
06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
i was fishin 4 pike at coal lake last year and snagged a branch and lost my favorite lure. deterimened not to let this happen again i went to crappy tire just after leaving the lake replaced my favorite lure and bought some power pro 50lbs test .when i returned the next day i contintued fishing in the same spot as the day before after about 20 casts and a few hammer handle pike i snagged something. so i gave it a few good plucks it let go confident that i had bought the right line 4 the job i quickly reeled in and as i get my hook to shore i notice something attached it was the hook i had lost the day before.here are some of the other things ive caught at coal.reel[still works to this day],clam[actually closed its shell on my hook i ate]ice fishing rod[last friday] beaver[thier pretty fricken mean when u get them to shore but the hook had sentimental values so i wrasled the bastard and got er back.

U wrestled a beaver?

Sounds like a good lake to fish...for gear:sign0161: Glad to hear u got ur fav hook back. I too, had a clam take my hook once, it was a 30 min fight, I won!
:fighting0074:

Spidey
06-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I was teaching my daughter how to spin cast at Lower Kan. Lake and she got bored and put her Dora the Explorer rod down to play with some rocks while I continued to cast. I soon saw a montser bull hanging out on the bottom and tried nearly every fly in my collection but to no avail. I gave up after awhile as my daughter was starting to get cold. As I picked up her rod I realized her hook was still in the water so I started to reel it in, hoping I wasn't going to lose the 5 of Diamonds hook I put on it. Sure enough, I soon felt tension which I thought was weeds or twigs. When I tried to muscle the hook through, I noticed Mr. bull trout come to life with a couple big head shakes. Then, all of a sudden I did the math and looked down at a pink rod and reel with a 10+ lb bull at the other end. Well, the drag lasted about 30 ft before it gave out and the line snapped. Her little reel sounded like a maraca after that!

WayneChristie
06-07-2010, 06:24 PM
I guess this would count as unexpected, since I was fishing for pike not coots, just happened to get the 2 for one special that day.
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/August%206%2009/DSCF7398.jpg

Jayball
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I guess this would count as unexpected, since I was fishing for pike not coots, just happened to get the 2 for one special that day.
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/August%206%2009/DSCF7398.jpg

That is awesome.

WayneChristie
06-07-2010, 07:04 PM
The poor pike had worse breath than a sasquatch after a 3 day bender!!! :thinking-006: cant believe it still took my lure :scared0015:

Geezle
06-07-2010, 07:40 PM
The poor pike had worse breath than a sasquatch after a 3 day bender!!! :thinking-006: cant believe it still took my lure :scared0015:

I don't doubt that there was quite the funk coming from that guy! :sick:

As for why he still took your lure...that's the exact reason we fish for pike! :fishing:

WayneChristie
06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't doubt that there was quite the funk coming from that guy! :sick:

As for why he still took your lure...that's the exact reason we fish for pike! :fishing:

you got it, only fish crazy as me!!! cept they have way more teeth LOL

farmkid89
06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=Trey;595466]ive caught 2 birds in my life. 1st was a great blue heron when i was a kid standing on a dock (comox marina B.C.)

No kidding, Ive spent alot of time on that dock. Its weird to run into people from the valley out here