PDA

View Full Version : looking for some help,hints and tips

Dwb
05-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Hey guys and gals I'm new to calgary and fishing. I found this site and I have to say what a wonderfull help its been. I've been fishing the bow river just south of the weir with no luck. I've tried a spoon a couple different spinners and a two inch rainbow lure but nothing. Any advice would be great. Thanks

nicemustang
05-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Welcome to the forum. Hop you find it helpful.

I don't fish the bow at all (rarely) but it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Maybe just location?? Maybe at this time of year the water is high and muddy due to the run-off, that might be a factor as well. What spots have you tried?

jeprli
05-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Either come in the morning just before sunrise or evening, an hour or two before it gets really dark. Find a promising spot, wait for them to rise and then give them your offering. I was out last night for an hour or two, got 6 decent sized rainbows, be careful how you set your drag they hit hard on the hook.
BTW put on that little rainbow lure you have and hold on!
I like casting upstream just under the bank or behind a boulder and then twitch it back with a couple of 2-3 second pauses. Usually they hammer it on the pause.

http://i46.tinypic.com/zvx546.jpg

Dwb
05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
great thanks, ive been just between the weir and the blackfoot bridge, its only a few minutes from the house

nicemustang
05-27-2010, 08:13 AM
That's your problem. Are you fishing in the bird santuary? That area is closed until south of the blackfoot bridge.

Try further down at the Glemore bridge or fish creek park.

jeprli
05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
No, no, no he is not fishing the Sanctuary. I've seen these guys just below the weir(i work close by, and pass blackfoot bridge 2-3 times a day). There is definitely fish there but it is a HUGE hole, i'd say at least 200 feet wide and another 600-800 feet long. I've never fished this spot, however I did some investigating past fall. Tried fishing below Blackfoot bridge and just to the border with sanctuary(river section that goes by BS is very fast and turbulent, even if there were fish they must be small) managed 2 small rainbows for that day, kinda slow.

Just before they started work on the weir I was there to take some photos of pelicans, it was amazing to see the size and number of big fish rising into the foam below weir. What was even more amazing is watching the birds go after them.

Quite a few of the homeless people that passed there, recommended pickerel rig and minnows, they said weir was loaded with big pike. I didn't bother explaining regulations but it was fun to hear these stories, makes you think what is lying down below....

BTW Bird Sancturaty starts at the end of Inglewood and goes all the way to the Ogden road bridge, from that bridge downstream it's open. The "closed section" goes on for the whole length of irrigation canal that is right next to the Bow river(on Forest Lawn/Dover side). This was explained by someone on the board a few years back, sorry I don't remember who it was.

npham
05-27-2010, 10:11 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/zvx546.jpg

Is this Fish Creek?