PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever seen this disease in any of our lakes?

outbackpat
05-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Saprolegnia is a genus of freshwater mould often called a "cotton mould" because of the characteristic white or grey fibrous patches it forms. Current taxonomy puts Saprolegnia as a genus of the heterokonts in the order Saprolegnialeshttp://fishparasite.fs.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp/Saprolegnia/Saprolegniasis2.jpg

floppychicken
05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Yeah,... you lost me after the first sentence. :jawsmiley:

greylynx
05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Saprolegnia is a genus of freshwater mould often called a "cotton mould" because of the characteristic white or grey fibrous patches it forms. Current taxonomy puts Saprolegnia as a genus of the heterokonts in the order Saprolegnialeshttp://fishparasite.fs.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp/Saprolegnia/Saprolegniasis2.jpg

Common on sick fish, stressed fish, captured fish.

You notice the cotton like fungus on the gills or on an injury where the skin has been injured.

DarkAisling
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
:sign0176:

Why did I click on that picture while eating my lunch???

:sick:

outbackpat
05-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I caught a small rainbow yesterday that had something similar to this on both sides of it's body. Thought it was strange, just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of disease before!

greylynx
05-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I caught a small rainbow yesterday that had something similar to this on both sides of it's body. Thought it was strange, just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of disease before!

It is common in aquarium fish, and also hatchery fish.

It is a great indicator that the fish has been under some form of duress like stocking facilities, close quarters, heat stress, feeding stress, or anything else that may lower the immune system's defenses.

Saprolignia is sometimes a secondary disease for BKC (Bacterial Kidney Disease), and the two major salmonid viri that infect the pancreas and spleen.

In other words, a fish with Saprolignia may be suffering from a more serious problem, than just the fungal infection.

.millartime.
05-26-2010, 11:18 PM
me and a co worker were fishing in the athabasca river for walleye and we caught about 4 or 5 of them that had something similar to this. I asked him about it and he said that it was "rot disease" which i had never seen before. But it didnt look like rotting, it looked somewhat like dissolving so to speak. i know that sounds strange. but i know theres some funky stuff that gets pumped into that river!

great white whaler
06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
me and a co worker were fishing in the athabasca river for walleye and we caught about 4 or 5 of them that had something similar to this. I asked him about it and he said that it was "rot disease" which i had never seen before. But it didnt look like rotting, it looked somewhat like dissolving so to speak. i know that sounds strange. but i know theres some funky stuff that gets pumped into that river!

last year some one hooked a to mouthed fish out of there,its very sad ,but true.