PDA

View Full Version : Record Sturgeon

WayneChristie
05-27-2010, 07:20 AM
So heres a question for all you die hard sturgeon fishermen. Which river do you think the next Alberta record will come from, NSR or SSR? Our local rag had a story a couple weeks ago about a sturgeon back in the 20's I believe it was, that was caught at the Bassano dam. Supposedly weighed 110 pounds, better than the measured record. I will have to stop in town next time Im going by and get some pics, I guess its hanging on the local hotel wall. I will be happy if I can catch even a small one this year, 106 pounds would be on my bucket list.

TexasTornado
05-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Trust me, that Sturgeon mounted in the Bassano hotel isn't worth stopping into see. The thing looks like it got mounted by a bunch of grade 1 kids.

ORV
05-27-2010, 07:37 AM
i would like to catch one this year as well wayne.
tried a couple years ago at the forks but no luck.
did see my first sauger there thou.

will have to give it a try sometime this year.

orv.

Walleyes
05-27-2010, 07:50 AM
I would say that the SSR will produce the next record. And I would also say that with the increase in interest in Sturgeon fishing that it won't be long and we will have a new record.

Last summer one of the local guides out of M.H. landed one in the 90# range,, thats getting pretty close..

PS,, Wayne,, got the rig up and running out your back door again.. Mind you it is short lived,, we will be shutting down today because of the rain..

lippy
05-27-2010, 10:45 AM
imo the next "recorded" record will be from the SSR. I have heard of Sturgeon caught and released that were as much as 6" longer than the present record...and this was more than 10 years ago out of the Bowmantan (sp.)area...I also heard a 'Fishing story" of a Sturgeon that was caught at the Forks in the 70's that pulled 3 fishermen in a 12 foot aluminum boat up and down the river for 15 minutes before it parted ways...must of been one heck of a fish!

tchow
05-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Both the NSR and SSR have good populations of Sturg. They can travel up the tributaries such as Red Deer, Oldman and Bow river for the SSR. On the average, I've heard more bigger fish caught on the NSR. The SSR for more smaller fish.. A couple of years ago we had prime conditions and between the group, we released close to 80 fish in the 2 days of Angling. Sizes ranged from 12" to 5" from shore. Majority of the bigger ones are going to be found in the deeper holes which are primarily accessed by boat..
Tough call on this one.
Guess you'll have to catch the "big one" Wayne and prove to all ..

Fishfinder
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm gonna say the SSR only becuz that's where the last record came from and it's the riv of the two that I fish harhar. SSR has been kind this year, have managed ten sturg all between 2 and 4 ft....far from the record ha. But them monsters gotta be in there...somewhere:)
Cheers n GL all!

Safety D
05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
My money is on Sturgeonhound for the next record. Gotta find that telephone pole geon !!!!

WayneChristie
05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
I would say that the SSR will produce the next record. And I would also say that with the increase in interest in Sturgeon fishing that it won't be long and we will have a new record.

Last summer one of the local guides out of M.H. landed one in the 90# range,, thats getting pretty close..

PS,, Wayne,, got the rig up and running out your back door again.. Mind you it is short lived,, we will be shutting down today because of the rain..

saw the rig setting up, we made it til noon today, would have been a lot earlier but the boss wanted to try running so as usual a bunch of things broke that took the morning in the rain to fix. :mad0100: could have been fishing!!!!

WayneChristie
05-27-2010, 03:14 PM
i would like to catch one this year as well wayne.
tried a couple years ago at the forks but no luck.
did see my first sauger there thou.

will have to give it a try sometime this year.

orv.

let me know if you are coming down this way

Fishfinder
05-27-2010, 04:32 PM
let me know if you are coming down this way

And Wayne, let me know when U are headed down this way. Maybe sneak out and try n wrangle some Geons (work permitting), show u a few spots!:)

WayneChristie
05-27-2010, 04:36 PM
And Wayne, let me know when U are headed down this way. Maybe sneak out and try n wrangle some Geons (work permitting), show u a few spots!:)

you got it. I should have 3 days a week off fairly soon so we will have to get together. you are making me jealous with those fish of yours. Hard to give up on the pike tho, but I guess my first sturgeon will convince me !

Fishfinder
05-27-2010, 04:52 PM
you got it. I should have 3 days a week off fairly soon so we will have to get together. you are making me jealous with those fish of yours. Hard to give up on the pike tho, but I guess my first sturgeon will convince me !

Yes they seem to be the only thing biting these days. Fine by me though:sHa_shakeshout: Am missing the pike though, wish the SSR produced pike like the NSR seems to!

alodar
05-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Im gunna catch the record out of the NSR the next time i go out ;)