PDA

View Full Version : a little help fraser river fishing by mountains

fishtank
05-27-2010, 12:26 PM
hello

iam heading out to jasper national park in aug/sept and i figure traveling up to the the Fraser river for a little salmon fishing any one know where the closest point near JNP that i can have access to the river??
also when are the season open for salmon fishing .. iam gonna be there for probably the labour day long weekend so i wanna get as much fishing done as possible, also where can i get a bc fishing licence near there or in alberta ??

thank you

Kingfisher
05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
You can buy your BC license on line at http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/

As for the salmon fishing. The only thing I have to say to your post is, go west young man, go west. WAY WEST.

Rob

fishtank
05-27-2010, 12:59 PM
i wish i could go west.. the problem with me is that i only have 3 days to do all these things:shark: i might hit up Rearguard Falls Provincial Park .. i need to save up my vacation days

fishtank
05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
You can buy your BC license on line at http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/

As for the salmon fishing. The only thing I have to say to your post is, go west young man, go west. WAY WEST.

Rob
on the site to buy a bc fresh water licence

it ask me for my angler # what is that , like my win card # ??

Erik
05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
The extreme upper Fraser is not the best for Salmon Fishing. It is quite accessible from Highway 16 from the headwaters near Mount Robson (approx 1 hr from Jasper) to Tete Jaun Cache (highway 5). There are several turnouts along the highway, but I am doubtful that you will find many Salmon in these areas. There are a number of 'salmon breeding grounds' as marked by the signs along this stretch of river, but as to the quantity, I would say they are sparse. There are a number of good populations that travel to some of the major tributaries a bit father downstream (Bowron and McGregor).

The trouble with salmon fishing on the Fraser, and indeed the tributaries, is the collapse of the sockeye fishery on the river (google this). If the river isn't closed for Sockeye, I would be highly surprised. Most of the salmon that make it to the upper reaches are sockeye. Some chinooks make it this far, but their stocks are dwindling as well.

In my opinion you would be better off to switch to trout fishing and seek out some secluded mountain pools rather than waste your time trying to floss out some river-rotten sockeye. Remember, after 1200 km of river these fish are going to be very nasty. They will not be edible and if you are lucky they will be picture quality (often their sides are rotted). Don't want to discourage you, but don't get your hopes up too high. If you really want to spend time fishing salmon on the river in B.C. I would suggest that you make a trip to either the Skeena, Stikine or Bulkley rivers. They are world class salmon grounds.

Kingfisher
05-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Don't want to discourage you, but don't get your hopes up too high. If you really want to spend time fishing salmon on the river in B.C. I would suggest that you make a trip to either the Skeena, Stikine or Bulkley rivers. They are world class salmon grounds.

:happy0034::happy0034: I totally agree with all you said Erik. Especially this portion I quoted here. That's what I meant by going west. FAR west. If you don't have the time to go west. Then my advice would be not to waste your time trying for salmon. I doubt they'd be open in the upper reaches. Even if they were you'd be wasting your time. If your time is limited then find yourself some nice places to catch yourself a nice rainbow.

Rob