PDA

View Full Version : Big Bow Brown

FishFearMe
05-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Well Spring finally caught up to us here in the frozen tundra and with it came an end to my cabin fever. As yesterday was Victoria day here in Canada and the last day of the long weekend I decided to try my hand at a bit of flyfishing on the world renouned Bow river. I had a few new toys to try out as well, thanks to my mom and my wife. My wife had given me a new fly rod/reel combo for Christmas(killed me I had to wait months for the thaw) and my Mom had sent me a birthday card with a check in it which I used to buy a set of chest waders and boots. I also recently started tying a few flies...still fairly inept though at both the tying and the flyrod.
I made my way down to a spot on the Bow where I had seen a fellow catch 4 or 5 respectable rainbows in the span of about an hour. I tried several store-bought flies with no success whatsoever. I did manage however not to get swept away in the swift current. Hurrah for little victories! After becoming somewhat discouraged and getting ready to leave I decided to wade down a bit to another shallow adjoining some deeper slower water. I had no sooner gotten there than I both saw and heard fish rising all around me. I saw the bugs that were flying around and only had one in my arsenal that even remotely resembled them. It didnt take long for one to attack it. After several jumps by a truly large fish I lost it. I assumed that because my fly was barbless(as required by law here) that it had spit the hook. Upon inspection though I realized that the fish had instead gotten off afer somewhat STRAIGHTENING my hook. Well having no more of that type I resolved to using my pliers and bending my hook back into shape. Having survived the first encounter suffering nothing more than a mild heart attack I decided to try again. SAME DAMN RESULTS.....fish on, fish off, hook ruined. :(
In a last ditch effort I decided to try a winged ant that I had tied myself (the only flies I have made moderately well to date and damn few of em at that). On my fourth cast I was into another biggie. After about ten minutes or so of give and take...mostly give on my part and take on hers, I started gaining ground. I worked my way back to shallow water and was able to land her. She was much bigger than my net but I centered it on her and let gravity do the rest. Thanks Newton...not the fig guy either. I got a good look at her once I managed to swallow my heart back down and realized I had caught the Mother of All Browns (M.O.A.B). I tried to get a measurement as well as a few pictures but was very difficult to do as I was alone standing in the river trying to juggle my rod,the fish, my tape measure and my cell fone/camera. The closest measurement I got was over 21 inches but with the fish being bent and the ruler beng straight I guessed it in the neighborhood of 24 inches or so. After that I was able to get a clean release on her unharmed...making both of us happy.
Either way I dont know for sure how big it was and dont really even care...it put a hell of a bend in my rod and a smile on my face. And good Lord willing and creek dont rise I may get another dance with her yet.
Thanks again to my mom and my wife for making this possible...love ya both!:)

baitfisher83
05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
awesome fish, gonna have to head down there with my spin gear soon

lone wolf
05-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Beautiful fish - thanks for sharing. Good to know she is still out there for others to enjoy !!

jacenbeers
05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
That is awesome. Looks nice and fat.

zabbo
05-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Beautiful brown!! Thx for sharing! :)

mcampb
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
good work man! I've tried fly-fishin' the bow a few times with no such luck, it isn't always an easy river for beginners! Gratz!

McDeth
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Very nice. Why hold her by the gills though? :argue2:

fishpro
05-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Very nice brown trout, they don't get that big very often.

I will offer some advice on handling though, holding a fish verticly by it's gills is very hard on it, due to the fact that it puts unnatural force on its gills and internal organs. Try to keep the fish horizontal whenever it's out of the water. Don't stress about it, just something to keep in mind for the next time.

gramps73
05-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Very nice fish for sure...nice catch.

FishFearMe
05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks all...and to you as well fish pro for the advice...I just wasnt much used to wading and juggling everything. I did however make sure I was just inside the gill plates and not into the gills themselves...and wasnt about to drag it ashore just for a pic. She seemed to swim off ok...hope she still is.

Fishingnutter
05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
good work man! I've tried fly-fishin' the bow a few times with no such luck, it isn't always an easy river for beginners! Gratz!

stop talking like this, the bow is a very easy river to fish just walk around a bit and you'll find a sweet fishin hole to call your own.

ishootbambi
05-27-2010, 09:26 PM
saweeeeet is right. nice fish!

star77
05-28-2010, 12:28 AM
nice fish and excellent tip from FISHPRO

FishFearMe
05-28-2010, 05:39 AM
stop talking like this, the bow is a very easy river to fish just walk around a bit and you'll find a sweet fishin hole to call your own.
I cant wait till June 1st when one of my Favorite place on the Bow opens up...it too is right here in Calgary!

dmckay
05-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Wish I know what I was doing wrong. I've been down there a handful of times and not one hit. I suppose it could be my presentation might not be that great. Total newb to fly fishing:)

notagoodtroutfisher
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Wish I know what I was doing wrong. I've been down there a handful of times and not one hit. I suppose it could be my presentation might not be that great. Total newb to fly fishing:)

Regardless of the body of water, when someone is new to the sport, it will take a while to get the hang of things.
Just keep geetin out and fish with lots of different people. It always great to pick up new strategies from others.
you'll get there

marlin1
05-28-2010, 10:31 AM
nice colorful brown , a real beauty. I'm guessing 3-5 pounds maybe

FishFearMe
05-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Prolly somewhere in there...makes me wonder about the ones that opened up my #12 hook

Rockymtnx
05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Congrats on an awesome Brown.

FishFearMe
05-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks Rocky...I reckon theres something to be said for beginners luck

mcampb
05-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Well I didn't have any luck the few times I'd tried fly-fishing the Bow... completely new to the sport but I know that the fish on the Bow see an absolute ton of flys... making the fish a little mroe wary of presentation...