PDA

View Full Version : cheapest place to buy tackle ?

180+
05-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Any of you guys know which of the following, canadian tire, wal-mart or the fishin hole, or wholesale sports is the cheapest for large spoons and plugs! 12 of us are heading out in 3 weeks to tapawingo lodge and need to stock up! we just do not want to run all over the place so your guys input would surely be appreciated!!:sHa_shakeshout:

DarkAisling
05-28-2010, 06:24 PM
If you have an Army & Navy close to you, they're cheap. TFH has cheap spoons. In the Calgary location they're located on a spinning rack near the packaged spoons: if I remember correctly.

timsesink
05-28-2010, 06:24 PM
The Fishing Hole has the best prices-ish and by far the best help. I always buy Fishing Hole unless theres a crazy sale somewhere eles.

hustler
05-28-2010, 07:11 PM
I was at the south side fishing hole today, had some oddball stuff on 25% off and most of it works :) I dont mind them at all and i second the advice

Geezle
05-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Generally speaking I think TFH has some of the best prices, and as others mentioned, they also have by far the best help. I really like the guys at the South Ed. store...not a huge fan of the store on 97 st.

If you're looking to stock up like Shelley said, grab some bulk spoons from the rack, and if you're concerned about quality grab a box of good trebles and replace the hooks :)

This is what I like to do for fishing the river since I tend to make my fair share of sacrafices :o

Trey
05-28-2010, 07:23 PM
comments on bass pro what about there?? i usually hit walley world myself

luckyme
05-28-2010, 08:26 PM
there was a sale last friday ( i'm not sure if it's still going on) but i don't see on any spoon most is in trout tackle dept. but you can check again.some times those store you've mentioned have a sale on tackles, you just have to be there at the right time.sorry can't help you much.

alodar
05-28-2010, 08:44 PM
I was pricing rods yesterday and fishin hole by far best prices for rods i dont know if it translates to lures too but id imagine they are aswell also SUPER good help, if the guy u ask a question to isnt furmiliar with somethign he will tell u hey i dont fly fish but brian does he could answer your question..... then he runs off and gets brian or was it barry ....... bad with names

Trey
05-28-2010, 11:06 PM
ive seen rods on sale at canuck rubber for wicked cheap. ive had one for about 3 years now and still works perfect, i paid 14.99 marked down from 45.99. but i agree with the advice thing at the hole

DarkAisling
05-29-2010, 06:58 AM
comments on bass pro what about there?? i usually hit walley world myself

I never think about the regular prices at BPS . . . I shop there when I'm in a hurry, as it is close to me, has good hours, and I can almost always find what I want.

The sale prices can be crazy good, but that doesn't happen often.

Winch101
05-29-2010, 09:10 AM
By far in Calgary The fishin Hole for service and price and selection ..

They will price match anybodies advertised price .....

Note when you are talking spoons , really if you are fishing

for serious fish ...Len thompson , Lucky Strike , most American made

products , will stand up .... But that bulk cheap stuff is offshore

Poor finish but worse poor terminal end , so to lose the pike or trout of a l

lifetime , to save a buck doesnt make much sense .

My . 02 cents W101

180+
05-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanx guys some good info! Just wondering if tackle town in edmonton still exists One of my buddies said they used to be pretty good for deals! Also when I said cheapest I meant overall, not some of those spoons that rust between casts!! I phoned the fishing hole and looks like they will see some of our business as I told them I was buying for 12!!:sHa_shakeshout:

onthefly
05-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Do some of you guys work at TFH or something? They have GREAT service and competitive prices. However, to say they have by far the best selection in stock is a stretch. They have a small store with a streamlined assortment (they dont have room to carry more then the most popular color/sizes) of the brand and products you need. They dont carry a tenth of the rods, reels, line, tackle boxes, etc. that BPS or WSS does.
There prices are good. Depending on what you are looking for it pays to look around. Prices can vary higher or lower at all three prices depending on the item. For the most part they are close and it's not worth $10 in gas to go somewhere further for a couple lures which are 20 cents cheaper. Im sure all 3 places do price comp shopping.
The last thing I want to do is feed yet ANOTHER thread about which shops are great and which one's suck in Alberta... It's been done enough! Just wanted to through my 2 cents in. All 3 have something to offer.
More importantly, good luck on your trip!!

lake side
05-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I am sure glad someone started this thread

Some Dick broke into my place and stole ALL my fishing gear and now I have to replace it this weekend.:mad3: I don't even know where to start and I know it is giong to very expensive to replace it all. I will probably start with spoons, jigs, and plugs. Taking $300 with me but I am sure that wont get me much.

brohymn2
05-29-2010, 11:27 AM
fishin hole offers 10% discount to military so i try to shop there as oftan as possible, their selection is limited in comparison to wss though, i find prices to be better than candian tire