PDA

View Full Version : UHMW bunk sliders (excess spoken for)

jusfloatin
05-29-2010, 08:39 AM
I am/will be installing 1/2" thick UHMW on my trailer bunks instead of replaceing the carpet. I have several trailers so I will be ordering a couple of sheets and will end up with extra.
Would anyone be interested in some, I can cut it to suit and might be willing to help install depending on boat size.

I am not trying to sell to make money off it or to generate work for myself. It is cheaper to purchase it in full sheets and at 500+ a sheet I am just trying to defray some of the cost.

Joe Fehr
05-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Wish you were closer to GP. Need to do the same with my trailer bunks this year.

A187
05-29-2010, 06:13 PM
I have some of that on the trailer that my boat came with, and it scratched the underside of my boats hull to hell. I'll be putting carpet back on myself. Hopefully it works out better for you than it did for me.

jusfloatin
05-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I have some of that on the trailer that my boat came with, and it scratched the underside of my boats hull to hell. I'll be putting carpet back on myself. Hopefully it works out better for you than it did for me.

The only bad thing I have heard is make sure you keep the boat tied up until it is in the water as the boat can end up on the launch.

npauls
05-29-2010, 11:09 PM
I have access to all the lexan I could ever want and was thinking about making some bunk sliders but I decided against it when I was told it will rip rivets out and scratch the boat. I think I will just silicone spray the bunks and see how that works for now.

Nate

jusfloatin
05-30-2010, 12:04 AM
I have access to all the lexan I could ever want and was thinking about making some bunk sliders but I decided against it when I was told it will rip rivets out and scratch the boat. I think I will just silicone spray the bunks and see how that works for now.

Nate

Lexan and UHMW are intirely two different types of plastics/polymer with completly different types of mechanical properties.

I have heard about the rivet claim but have not heard anything about scratching the boat.

firegod74
05-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Lexan and UHMW are intirely two different types of plastics/polymer with completly different types of mechanical properties.

I have heard about the rivet claim but have not heard anything about scratching the boat.
I could see the edges of UHMW scratching something. Its pretty hard stuff. I think that if the edges are are all buffed down to a rounded edge it should be fine.

jusfloatin
05-30-2010, 09:28 AM
All excess has been spoken for.

Thanks to all.

I think taking a couple of seconds to smooth the edges would be a good idea.

Hunter Trav
05-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Why are you going with such thick UHMW? 1/2" is way over kill. 1/4" would be alot cheeper, and it isn't going to wear out in your lifetime. Also, be sure to countersink your screws so they don't damage your boat...

jusfloatin
05-31-2010, 12:22 PM
There is a difference in cost between 1/4 and a 1/2 but by the time you coutersink the screws you realy don't have much holding point when using 1/4". Not to mention with my steady hands there will probably be more useable countersunk holes than ones that could be used.

Like you say 1/2" will outlast me and if I use good screws it will be a one time deal.

Lambo
05-31-2010, 12:33 PM
I think I have UHMW under my jet boat (so I was told by previous owner) for rock guard. That is tough s**t and has a low coefficient of friction (that's me trying to sound smart:confused:). I can see it being good for bunks.

Lambo
05-31-2010, 12:37 PM

Nate

Nate: is lexan the material used for bus shelter? clear plexi glass that won't turn yellow over time from the sun? If so, I need some for my sunroom/enclosed deck. Do you know where I can get some for cheap? Thanks.

bowfin
05-31-2010, 12:45 PM
to get more life out of your carpet bunks back trailer completly underwater so all of bunk is wet pull trailer out to where you load boat goes on trailer so much easy and alot less wear on carpet try it next time you load your boat