PDA

View Full Version : Pike On The Fly

jts1
05-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I have been getting into Pike on the fly and have had some success. But the leaders I purchased from WSS only had a small metal sleeve that you pulled down over a loop in the line, it does not work well at all. Fish just pull the line straight out of the loop. So I have been putting a knot in it But the problem with that is I need to cut the steel line every time I need to change the fly and you cant tie a small knot with it.

So I guess the question is What should I be using? Is there a superior product out there? And any suggestions on literature, vids etc for tactics and such for pike on the fly would be great as well. Thanks guys

ArtVandelay
05-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I've tried lots of leader material for Pike on the fly but this is my hands down favorite. It's hard to find here in Calgary but Southbow sells it by the yard. I use the camo in 27lb test. I pre-tie a 6-8 inch leader on my favorite Pike flies. I've never lost a fish on it and you can tie any kind of knot with it you'd normally use with mono or flouro. Awesome stuff! I don't know where you're located JTS but if you're close to Calgary I'll give you a couple of yards to try.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/jayvee42/2010-05-29_145340.jpg

So I guess the question is What should I be using? Is there a superior product out there? And any suggestions on literature, vids etc for tactics and such for pike on the fly would be great as well. Thanks guys

grizz
05-29-2010, 04:02 PM
I have been getting into Pike on the fly and have had some success. But the leaders I purchased from WSS only had a small metal sleeve that you pulled down over a loop in the line, it does not work well at all. Fish just pull the line straight out of the loop. So I have been putting a knot in it But the problem with that is I need to cut the steel line every time I need to change the fly and you cant tie a small knot with it.

So I guess the question is What should I be using? Is there a superior product out there? And any suggestions on literature, vids etc for tactics and such for pike on the fly would be great as well. Thanks guysit sounds like you are not crimping the sleeve it should hold.

jts1
05-29-2010, 04:18 PM
I've tried lots of leader material for Pike on the fly but this is my hands down favorite. It's hard to find here in Calgary but Southbow sells it by the yard. I use the camo in 27lb test. I pre-tie a 6-8 inch leader on my favorite Pike flies. I've never lost a fish on it and you can tie any kind of knot with it you'd normally use with mono or flouro. Awesome stuff! I don't know where you're located JTS but if you're close to Calgary I'll give you a couple of yards to try.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/jayvee42/2010-05-29_145340.jpg

I am in Airdrie But I think I may as well just purchase some Thank you

it sounds like you are not crimping the sleeve it should hold.

I was hoping that i didnt need to do that Or I would need leader for every fly

canned Tuna
05-29-2010, 04:43 PM
This works for me I fish for pike and musky on the fly so try this out I use 2 sleeves and a swivel for the ease of changing flies. Crimp down both sleeves and melt the mono don't burn it. Try to use the side of the flame of a cig. lighter just the residual heat should be enough to melt the mono.

Kingfisher
05-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Jeff, go to WSS or Fishtales they both sell a wire that you can tie. The one I got from WSS is made by RIO. I can't remember the brand I bought from Fishtales. But I know they sell it.

If your home tonight give me a call. Come on over, tie some flies and I'll show you the leader material.

Rob

lifesaflyin
05-29-2010, 09:46 PM
the absolute best would have to be berkley fireline. the dark green one in 30 or 50 lb. its lighter than the wire leader letting you shoot it further and you can tie it on like a peice of tippet. plus it turns over better than a wire leader and is cheaper than buying a wire leader.

i would even go with the 20 lb cause its not expensive to change out if it gets damaged.

fishpro
05-29-2010, 10:17 PM
I'd go with either the knotable wire if you want to, or I often just use standard, ultra thin steel leaders with a snap on the end, very convenient and I've always caught fish with them.

Doc
05-30-2010, 01:33 AM

Rio's Powerflex work's great as it's supple enough to tie knots with. One of my buddies ties on a snap to the end and changes flies that way but I just cut off my flies with my large hemostats and re-tie.

Here's a video Phil and I made with some good info about techniques and tackle.
Pike On The Fly (http://www.albertastillwaters.com/apps/videos/videos/show/6510100-fall-pike-on-the-fly)

And here's a link to Clive's Pike page.
Clive's Pike Page (http://members.shaw.ca/clives/pikeflyfish.html)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc

pikester
05-30-2010, 02:35 AM
Hey Jeff, no shortage of good advice here but just for the case of simplicity & cheap n easy you can do what I have done with much success. Like fishpro says also, take a standard light gauge wire leader, snip the barrel swivel off the end, then tie that end to your mono leader with an Albright knot. Easy to do, everyone has steel leaders in their box, & you can change flies all day as quickly as changing a Rapala! This set-up is not ideal if you're fishing top water flies but you can still do it. I caught several pike up to 18 lbs on that rig with no failures but just out of curiosity sake I'm using nothing but fluorocarbon leaders this season :)