PDA

View Full Version : smoked pike

brohymn2
05-30-2010, 03:24 PM
my wife just surprised me with a bradley smoker, anyone have a good recipe for walleye, pike, or whitefish, thanks

hustler
05-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Got to do an overnight salt brine.... the pike always seems to smoke too much for me though. Whitefish is awesome with a pepper type brine.

Albertafisher
05-30-2010, 06:02 PM
1 part salt to 2 parts water and let it set overnight submerged

cannonc
05-30-2010, 06:06 PM
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php

addicted
05-30-2010, 08:13 PM
use the search function on the forum here there are lots of good recipes..... pike is awsome smoked i could not believe it when i tasted the pike i smoked this last winter. 3/4 to 1cup of course pickling salt, 2 to 2 1/2 cups brown sugar, a generous portion of black pepper freshly ground, 1 onion diced up, 5 cloves crushed garlic i believe thats it.

I let it sit over night make sure all the fish is covered in brine solution, note I found it best to place the flesh of the fish against each other and skin to skin. You will see that when the fish is taken out of the brine in 24hrs or so that no matter how much u washed that piece of fish it is still slimey. At this point the slim has turned whiteish and looks like snot lol. Take the time to rinse it off this will pay off in a really nice tasting piece of fish. I smoked it using 2 pans of chips(hickory) overe 12 hours you may need less maybe just 6 or 8 hrs but that depends on how dry u want it, and how hot you smoke the fish.

Oh yes, one last thing. Before placeing in the smoker let the fish air dry or speed it up by putting a fan too it. The smoke will take better to a drier piece of meat than a wet one. This is also a good time to add some cracked pepper to the fish or anything u want.

Hope that this helps u

dugh
05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
My wife cans the pike. It is excellent, much nicer than the salmon from the store.
Doug

abhunt
05-31-2010, 10:06 PM
I use a brine with enough salt in the water to float an egg.Soak for 24 hrs and sprinkle with lemon pepper before smoking.Very simple but tastes great!!

jeffreys 21234
12-28-2014, 11:21 AM
am gonna try smoken pike for first time I fillet them all out was just wondering I read on a post one guy said to leave skin on will it make a difference if skin is already fillet off thanks for the info

Red Bullets
12-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Leave the skin on. Without the skin the fillet might fall apart a bit.
I personally like willow smoke on pike. I use a dry cure for 12 to 24 hours before smoking. Yummy!!!!!

jeffreys 21234
12-28-2014, 12:33 PM
ok well ill hafta go out and catch a few more and leave skin on an jst do a fish fry with theses ones first wat do you mean a dry cure jst salt and such no soaken in water?

omega50
12-28-2014, 01:03 PM
60 degrees SAL at 25 min a "- shoot for a smoked terminus of 3.5% WPS(Water Phase Salt)
or more simply expressed as 1-7-3 SWL
Increase time 5 min a inch for fattier and skin on fish
Easey Peasey Lemon Squeezey

Red Bullets
12-28-2014, 09:28 PM
ok well ill hafta go out and catch a few more and leave skin on an jst do a fish fry with theses ones first wat do you mean a dry cure jst salt and such no soaken in water?

A dry cure is my spices. Granulated garlic, onion, etc.. I don't use as much salt as most.
Put on spices dry and leave for 12 to 24 hours before smoking or drying. If I am drying in the oven I will brush lightly with liquid smoke. If I am smoking I use red or diamond willow.

No soaking.

google fish dry cures and brines

RavYak
12-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Buddy told me trick to smoke skinned fish on a piece of parchment paper. It works good just smoke it and then when you flip it remove paper and finish smoking.

I don't like smoking with the skin on as I find too much oil/moisture stays in the fish making it mushy.

jeffreys 21234
12-28-2014, 09:41 PM
thanks for that yea I found a few different ways im going to give a try once I get back out and try catching a Cpl more