PDA

View Full Version : Life Jackets

Wolf Tracker
05-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Was just wondering how many people wear their lifejackets(pfd's) while boating. With all the talk about boat license's and such I thought I would ask the question. I wear mine when ever I am cruising to a new spot on the lake but take it off when I am anchored or trolling with my electric motor.Not trying to open any cans of worms but I usually see more guys not putting them on instead of wearing them.:fishing:

raggmann
05-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Guilty, I use mine as a seat cusion.

TYEE
05-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Always in the boat, never on unless needed for warmth. Good idea to put it on when traveling at high speed, will keep that in mind for the future.

gramps73
05-30-2010, 08:16 PM
I will say that after fishing in the SAWT last year i wear mine. And at the rules meeting at Travers it was made mandatory you wear it when the boat is in motion.

mooseknuckle
05-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Guilty!! Always have enough obviously for the amount and size/age of people on the boat but I don't wear it. I encourage my passengers to do so when appropriate and always younger kids. Of course I swam for the Olympian swim club for 15 years. I don't find them comfortable.

Stump thumper
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
I never used to wear mine that often, but I try to wear it all the time now since I usually have my young son with me. Have to set a good example eh.;)

walleyechaser
05-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Don't wear it, but if the weather got real bad I would put it on

Wolf Tracker
05-30-2010, 08:41 PM
I never put the on before but once I bought my new boat mine always goes on.I used to swim lots to but I realized that the cold water in the spring or even getting a knock on the head I wouldn't be able to swim very far.A work buddy of mine drowned a few years back and it bothered me that his body was not found for a few days.If anything were to happen to myself while boating I would like to be found for my families sake.Safe boating everyone:)

Baitcaster
05-30-2010, 10:58 PM
One the inflatable types that sit like a collar around your neck are the best. you soon forget you are even wearing it and like a previous comment you are setting the example to the younger ones in the boat.:)

npauls
05-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Once I can gather the cash I will be buying some self inflating collar style ones that I will wear all the time. I will probably get 4 of them for the boat just so everyone can have one. I can't stand the big bulky ones so I only put them on when the weather is nasty.

nate

Lambo
05-30-2010, 11:32 PM
When the weather is crappy out I wear my Mustang survival jacket - warm+floatation. But when it's warm out, I'm guilty of having the life jacket strapped to my seat. I've been wearing it more lately (like the previous posts) to set an example for my kids but it is uncomfortable. I might be buying the collar type soon but still skeptical about the reliability of these PFDs. What if you get a defective inflator? Don't know til you're in the water. Might just stick to being uncomfortable.

Corro
05-30-2010, 11:41 PM
My canoe is easy to dump so I ALWAYS wear my life jacket and have my kit secured.

Joe Fehr
05-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Always make the kids wear them, I don't like wearing them so they sit on the back of the chair. Even when in rough waters on Slave last year headed to the boat launch from camp.
Guess the high sides give me a sense of security. (Probably hold more water) :snapoutofit:

floppychicken
05-31-2010, 02:59 AM
I will say that after fishing in the SAWT last year i wear mine. And at the rules meeting at Travers it was made mandatory you wear it when the boat is in motion.

YEP,... X2

I've become very accustomed to wearing my 'Fishing Vest style' PFD (Cabela's) and I actually 'feel weird' without it on. Honestly, I have a hard time understanding why ANYONE would not wear a PFD in the EARLY SPRING or LATE FALL when the water is CRAZY COLD and `merely` falling out of the boat can be fatal.... JMHO.

Cheers,

big zeke
05-31-2010, 06:51 AM
On the ocean I have a Mustang Floater and I wear it all the time mainly for warmth but it is great for keeping clean. Even on freshwater I generally wear on all the time, esp since I am occaisionaly alone on the boat. It's a good example for the kids and if you spend a few bucks on them you can get a pretty comfortable one.

Pretty tough to tell a kid to wear one if you're not.

Zeke

209x50
05-31-2010, 07:01 AM
never.

silvercloud
05-31-2010, 07:21 AM
Mine goes on when I get in the boat and comes off when the boat docks. I can't swim a lick-so I need all the help I can get.

Jason

jusfloatin
05-31-2010, 07:23 AM
YEP,... X2

I've become very accustomed to wearing my 'Fishing Vest style' PFD (Cabela's) and I actually 'feel weird' without it on. Honestly, I have a hard time understanding why ANYONE would not wear a PFD in the EARLY SPRING or LATE FALL when the water is CRAZY COLD and `merely` falling out of the boat can be fatal.... JMHO.

Cheers,

I totaly agree

I have several different types of jackets on board to suit different weather conditions but I and everyone else that is with me has something on before they even set foot on the dock. Have you ever walked out onto the dock only to trip on a board and hit the ground. Haveing a cheap lifejacket on will soften the bounce enough you would be grateful to have it on.

It does not make sense to me why anyone that owns a boat would not have a good, comfortable life jacket for at least himself.

:sign0161: ( I mean for his loving and understanding wife )

AlbertaAngler
05-31-2010, 07:26 AM
I have the inflatable collar type and wear it at all times.

Drewski Canuck
05-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Always, and all the passengers. usually have a full boatload of kids fishing all summer long. Typically, water is flat, and I still have them wear one. Had a wind shear on Calling turn mirror flat to 4 footers in a matter of minutes. Also have had many a big boat throw a wake that rolled the boat pretty good, both at anchor and underway. Most cases, there would have been no time to put on lifejackets after the fact.

Funny part, most drowning victims have their fly undone. when your hands are full of your other "gear", there is no time to put on a lifejacket as you are going in head first.

Drewski

Jayball
05-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Used to be just a seat cushion for me until my children started coming fishing with me. Now I wear it all the time in the boat. Hard to tell them to obey the rules when I don't.

MK2750
05-31-2010, 09:30 AM
My fishing vest is CO2 inflatiable and my duck hunting coat is a Mustang Floater so I'm never without. I also carry the regular type rather than trying to argue with the powers to be when checked.

Okotokian
05-31-2010, 09:35 AM
I wear mine. Only person I remotely knew (friend of a friend type of thing)that ever drowned was an excellent swimmer, but their boat was hit by another boat at high speed. It isn't always about your skill or the weather.

whitewolf
05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
growing up in florida i dont ever remember anyone i knew ever wearing one...including myself...we always had one for every person in the boat as that was the law but it was never worn....i used mine as a seat cussion as to lift me higher in the boat so i could see over the bow as our bass boat you sat very low in...i guess the thought was id rather drown than be awake as a gator swam away with you in its jaws kicking and screaming and that did happen quite a few times to people when i lived down there...but i do most of my fishing with floppy chicken...so he has been a good influence on me and i where mine always when the boat is running at the very least....

albertadave
05-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Pretty tough to tell a kid to wear one if you're not.

Zeke

I actually don't find that it's tough at all. Quite easy in fact. Do as I say, not as I do.

javlin101
05-31-2010, 12:35 PM
I wear mine if I am alone in the boat or with just the kids.

aulrich
05-31-2010, 01:54 PM
We wear them when we are moving between spots (not repositioning or restetting a drift) or in current. If kids don't swim well it is constant.

I found having ones that fit properly makes all the difference for comfort.

It's like bikes and helmets if your not concerned about smashing your head in your not riding fast enough :)

I rail against most of the "bubble wraping" that seems to go on these days a life lived is inherently risky. But simple thing like a lifejacket and using it when the risk is at the highest makes sense. And as a side benifit it reduces the ammo for those damn bubble wrapers who would make it 100% manditory so that even sitting still you would have to wear one.

jusfloatin
05-31-2010, 02:36 PM
I forgot to mention I even wear my inflatable when I fish the Bow.

I don't think I am getting to old but rather just growning up.

cohod
05-31-2010, 02:53 PM
I ware a Mustang Inflatable Life Jacket hardly know its on so I ware it all the time boating, on my pontoon boat or in my float tube.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/cohod/MD3085CMimage163.jpg

I hardly ever wore one before I got this one though...

cohod

Lambo
05-31-2010, 03:14 PM
This is a good thread. Glad to see almost all the members are safety conscious and wearing their PFD. I'll definitely be wearing mine all the time now.

Okotokian
05-31-2010, 03:17 PM
I actually don't find that it's tough at all. Quite easy in fact. Do as I say, not as I do.

And they will, as long as you are there... ;) Sort of like telling them not to smoke while you take a drag. :bad_boys_20: LOL

We all do it from time to time, but it's rarely effective in the long term.

Paul C
05-31-2010, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=Wolf Tracker;598663]Was just wondering how many people wear their lifejackets(pfd's) while boating. With all the talk about boat license's and such I thought I would ask the question. I wear mine when ever I am cruising to a new spot on the lake but take it off when I am anchored or trolling with my electric motor.Not trying to open any cans of worms but I usually see more guys not putting them on instead of wearing them.

One of the new things they are going to enforce this year is people who do not wear life jackets and they will be inspecting them to make sure they are approved and they have not expired. They are posting a large sign at the boat launch at Carson and will step up enforcement.
I am not sure what the fine is for not wearing your PFD. Last year at Dolberg the C.O would not let a boat on the lake because of expired PFD'S.

Okotokian
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
And don't forget... if you are floating the Bow or Elbow through Calgary, or on the Glenmore you have to have them on, not just in the boat.

hustler
05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
I was approached on pigeon 3 years ago...... they were at arms reach and that was good enough...... but if your crusing i was told you have to have em on but trolling or anchored its fine. Kids however should ALWAYS be in one, even have one for my bulldog......... wifes orders.......

Jack&7
05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
I wear mine when ever I am cruising to a new spot on the lake but take it off when I am anchored or trolling with my electric motor.Not trying to open any cans of worms but I usually see more guys not putting them on instead of wearing them.:fishing:

X2...That's exactly what I do.

Guilty!! Always have enough obviously for the amount and size/age of people on the boat but I don't wear it. I encourage my passengers to do so when appropriate and always younger kids. Of course I swam for the Olympian swim club for 15 years. I don't find them comfortable.

Unfortunately, you're swimming skill will be of no use to you if you are knocked unconcious due to the shock of cold water immersion or blunt trauma of hitting the water at high speed (which is comparable to jumping out of the back of a truck box at highway speed).

I never used to wear mine that often, but I try to wear it all the time now since I usually have my young son with me. Have to set a good example eh.;)

Bingo...a lot of us don't wear ours today because our parents and grandparents never did. It's a learned behaviour. The only way to change it is to model the correct behaviour for the next generation. IMHO.

I wear mine. Only person I remotely knew (friend of a friend type of thing)that ever drowned was an excellent swimmer, but their boat was hit by another boat at high speed. It isn't always about your skill or the weather.

Exactly....I am a BIG guy and I know from experience that it would be next to impossible to lift me out of the water into the boat if I were unconcious. I am basically dead weight...and soon to be "dead-er". My cousin who is about the same size as me never used to wear his jacket and years ago, had his boat get caught broadside by a wave from another boat as he was making a turn. He was thrown from the boat with such force that he was knocked unconcious when he hit the water. My 14 year old younger cousin (who at the time was lucky if she weighed 90 soaking wet) managed to haul his body back into the boat, thus saving his life. Adrenalin does funny things when you need it to...
She received a Govenor General's medal for her efforts.

But if he were alone in the boat, he would not be here today.

I see so many guys either not wearing them or don't even have them at all. And really, I look at it like this: What's more uncomfortable...wearing it or being dead? The answer seems simple enough to me.

And to those of you using them as seat cushions, you are destroying the foam that is inside by compressing it. Do it often enough and the PFD will no longer be able to support you if in fact you do need it someday.

I will get off the soapbox now.

whitewolf
05-31-2010, 04:53 PM
just a question how does an inflateable life jacket work if you are knocked unconsious....

Paul C
05-31-2010, 05:23 PM
The approved PFD is designed to keep your chest up thats why they are on the front. The head rest prevents you from letting your head fall back in the water. The approved ones are all designed this way but there is lots of unapporoved vests that are for sale. I wonder why the government lets the other pfd's on the market. Buyer beware.:thinking-006:

jesse34567
05-31-2010, 06:00 PM
whats a PFD?

never heard of one of those mhm

cohod
05-31-2010, 06:25 PM
just a question how does an inflateable life jacket work if you are knocked unconsious....

some have Automatic inflation upon water immersion...

cohod

Fishingnutter
05-31-2010, 09:48 PM
This is a good thread. Glad to see almost all the members are safety conscious and wearing their PFD. I'll definitely be wearing mine all the time now.

Very good thread. X2

Quick tip for those who boat alone; in your anchor line, tie 3 or 4 rings (those 10 inch rubber dog toys work well), so that they act as a ladder in case you get thrown for whatever reason. There are morons on the water who don't pay attention after they've sent a big wake your way. you can also make a set of loop's in the line but they're trickier to get your feet into.

Also, just like poachers never hesitate to call in a moronthe water.

oh, a try to wear one that is easily spotted from the air

Lambo
05-31-2010, 10:29 PM
whats a PFD?

never heard of one of those mhm

PFD = personal floatation device

Lambo
05-31-2010, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Wolf Tracker;598663]Was just wondering how many people wear their lifejackets(pfd's) while boating. With all the talk about boat license's and such I thought I would ask the question. I wear mine when ever I am cruising to a new spot on the lake but take it off when I am anchored or trolling with my electric motor.Not trying to open any cans of worms but I usually see more guys not putting them on instead of wearing them.

One of the new things they are going to enforce this year is people who do not wear life jackets and they will be inspecting them to make sure they are approved and they have not expired. They are posting a large sign at the boat launch at Carson and will step up enforcement.
I am not sure what the fine is for not wearing your PFD. Last year at Dolberg the C.O would not let a boat on the lake because of expired PFD'S.

A C.O. approached us on the water at Pine Lake on May long weekend and she didn't do anything about my buddy who wasn't wearing his life jacket. She just muttered irritatingly to herself, "I don't know why people don't wear them." I don't think they can issue tickets for not wearing PFDs, can they? I know you can get a ticket on the Bow in Calgary if you don't wear one.

pikester
05-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Well it looks like I'm in the norm here. I wear mine first thing in the spring, late fall till freeze-up, ALL the time when I have kids out, the rest of the time it's my seat cushion! I am in the process of saving up for one of those sweet self-inflating types but damn they are expensive:sign0161: Oh well, you can't put a price on safety, plus then I will be motivated to wear it all the time on the water:fishing:

lyallpeder
06-01-2010, 06:23 AM
all the time.

could we get a poll going on this?

AlbertaAngler
06-01-2010, 07:08 AM
oh, a try to wear one that is easily spotted from the air

I also have one of these attached to my inflatable vest Water activated strobe (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10211366_225002000_225000000_225002000_225-2-0)
and a knife.

It takes a lot time to find someone in the water at night if you have to cover the water with boats and spot lights.

jusfloatin
06-01-2010, 07:50 AM
That would definitely be an asset and certainly aid in a rescue.

But where do you stop as someone posted earlier about a bubble wrap society.

I have learned when fishing in Alberta that the weather can change in a heart beat from flat water to 3' white caps. Add dead heads and junk floating in our waters to be safe you should be off the water before dusk especially if you are alone.

AlbertaAngler
06-01-2010, 08:07 AM

I hear you.

I'm just doing it for myself and family, not saying it should be law, we're all grown ups and can make our own decisions based on risk assessment. Accidents can happen during the day and it may be night before anyone notices you didn't come home. If a boat swamps it doesn't matter if your by yourself or with 5 other guys if you're clinging to your boat or floating around. I have personal experience with night rescues and I will do everything I can to tip the odds in my favour. To me it's like a seat belt I don't plan on using it and I hope I never do but if I need it I'm going to be glad I had it.

jusfloatin
06-01-2010, 08:14 AM
And I hear you

As to any outing the most important thing of that outing is that everyone comes home alive and safe.

Paul C
06-01-2010, 09:10 AM
The pfd's are bright in color that are orange & yellow. I know that C.O's can ticket you for not having them in the boat. They can stop you from launching your boat if the pfd's are expired. I would wear one this time of the year because there is a risk of hypothermia.
Fishin Safely

harryones
06-01-2010, 09:17 AM
They have jackets at Bass Pro with the upper section made of mesh. It makes
it very easy item to wear all the time in the boat. Sure beats the old style ones that made you feel like you were wearing a neck brace.

Jack&7
06-01-2010, 09:20 AM
:);)I also have one of these attached to my inflatable vest Water activated strobe (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10211366_225002000_225000000_225002000_225-2-0)
and a knife.

It takes a lot time to find someone in the water at night if you have to cover the water with boats and spot lights.

AA.....you got me thinking about stuff I have attached to my vest. I also have a blue strobe that also has a whistle built into it attached to my life jacket by a keychain split-ring. Two ways of communicating if you hit the water...but it is not water-activated.

I have a billion of them if anyone wants one (PM me if you do and we can try to work out a way to get one to you)...they are provided by the city of Calgary and they are distributed to promote water safety which is entirely what this thread is about.

I also have my boat operators license attached in that little plastic slip case that came with it...just so the CO's see it and don't even ask!;)

A knife isn't a bad idea either...

Okotokian
06-01-2010, 09:41 AM
The approved PFD is designed to keep your chest up thats why they are on the front. The head rest prevents you from letting your head fall back in the water. The approved ones are all designed this way but there is lots of unapporoved vests that are for sale. I wonder why the government lets the other pfd's on the market. Buyer beware.:thinking-006:

Lifejackets are a different category than Personal Floatation Devices (PFD's). It sounds like you are describing a lifejacket, not a PFD. Both are legal/approved for pleasurecraft use. Lifejackets are designed to flip you over on your back quickly. They must be orange, red, or yellow. PFD's simply have to be designed not to have a tendency to flip you over on your front. They can be any colour. I've not seen any PFD offered for sale here that wasn't approved. Just check the label.

Okotokian
06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
:);)

A knife isn't a bad idea either...

x10 especially if you are sailing or otherwise have a lot of lilne around.
I was sailing on a hobie 16 with my son when he was about10 or 12. He was hiked out on a trapeze and we were really hauling $@#$. Suddenly a stay breaks and the mast collapses, sending him into the water at speed with the mast and sail on top of him. Luckily he wasn't trapped under the sail or entangled in anything. Good to be able to cut your way out.

Tredeb
06-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Lifejackets are a different category than Personal Floatation Devices (PFD's). It sounds like you are describing a lifejacket, not a PFD. Both are legal/approved for pleasurecraft use. Lifejackets are designed to flip you over on your back quickly. They must be orange, red, or yellow. PFD's simply have to be designed not to have a tendency to flip you over on your front. They can be any colour. I've not seen any PFD offered for sale here that wasn't approved. Just check the label.

You are correct.

There are not many actual life jackets around. We searched quite a while for some when our kids were small. Most only have the PFD rating. I don't see a whole lot of difference in some of the kids jackets, I suspect it is cheaper to not go through the testing to be rated as a "life jacket" and just sell the same thing as a PFD.

TexasTornado
06-01-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm a good swimmer

Okotokian
06-01-2010, 12:56 PM
You are correct.

There are not many actual life jackets around. We searched quite a while for some when our kids were small. Most only have the PFD rating. I don't see a whole lot of difference in some of the kids jackets, I suspect it is cheaper to not go through the testing to be rated as a "life jacket" and just sell the same thing as a PFD.

Yes, those kids jackets with the big collars with handles on them. They are designed a bit more to mimic actual lifejackets. I also found those handles convenient for plucking the kid out of the water.

Fishingnutter
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
That would definitely be an asset and certainly aid in a rescue.

I have learned when fishing in Alberta that the weather can change in a heart beat from flat water to 3' white caps. Add dead heads and junk floating in our waters to be safe you should be off the water before dusk especially if you are alone.

MacGregor has an incredible length of N>S-S>N wind fetch. Years ago fishing on the wall at Milo, it went from breezy to near hurricane in a flash and the waves paled some of those we see on the coast, they were coming over. One could've surfed.. It's days like that which make you cringe for the boaters with chains for anchor lines and no winch.

bigdaddy37
06-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I can't really tell my kids to wear them and then not wear mine. Hard to justify that to them...

Besides, if something happened to me, the kids would be stranded.

Paul C
06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Please take a moment and look at this site. It is very clear that life jackets should be worn over pfd's. I would think that when you are dealing with children this is very important. It all boils down to what kind of risk you are willing to take.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-lifejackets-information-1324.htm#lj2

Fishingnutter
06-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Please take a moment and look at this site. It is very clear that life jackets should be worn over pfd's. I would think that when you are dealing with children this is very important. It all boils down to what kind of risk you are willing to take.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-lifejackets-information-1324.htm#lj2

Quick note as I didn't see it on this site,, Don't put your coat over top of the inflatable type,, sounds obvious but you see people doing it often. Another no-no is tucking the pull strap into the flap where the cartridge is.

Lambo
06-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Wow! Thanks for posting that. I honestly didn't know there was a difference. I thought a life jacket was a personal floatation device. My kids have life jackets and I guess I only have pfds for adults in my boat.

Okotokian
06-01-2010, 06:34 PM

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant that lifejacket should be worn instead of pfds, not over (like layered on top of) PFDs. LOL

however, even then I don't completely agree with you. I think that in certain situations (such as whitewater kayaking or waterskiing) a lifejacket is likely to restrict your movement, catch on things, etc. to such a degree that it could be deemed unsafe. I agree that if you are simply dumped into water that is not too cold and you are unconcious a lifejacket would be better.

WayneChristie
06-01-2010, 06:46 PM
do most of my fishing from a canoe, so I wear mine full time. Even in a bigger boat, I dont float so good

Okotokian
06-01-2010, 06:47 PM
do most of my fishing from a canoe, so I wear mine full time. Even in a bigger boat, I dont float so good

You are lucky. I've gained weight over the years. Fat floats better than muscle. LOL

Fishingnutter
06-01-2010, 06:50 PM
You are lucky. I've gained weight over the years. Fat floats better than muscle. LOL

keeps us warm in the water too

DarkAisling
06-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Was just wondering how many people wear their lifejackets(pfd's) while boating.

All of us in my family (including the inlaws) wear them while boating: unless we are on a house boat. Actually, no one gets on our boats (canoes, kayaks, motorboats, and jetskis) without them. (period).

WayneChristie
06-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Thats why I never tried to drown my ex, even tho it would have been a lot cheaper than a divorce. Guess I could have tied a blinking light to her and thrown her in a shipping channel :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Wolf Tracker
06-01-2010, 08:37 PM
For any one looking for the inflatable life jackets I noticed while in the boat shop in Gibbons they had them on sale $149.00.Didn't look at them real close as I was spending enough money aready that day.Might go back this weekend when I get out of camp.Happy fishing

Fishingnutter
06-01-2010, 09:27 PM
we had to watch this several times before our course started,,, a good wake up call to how quickly things can change. 20 seconds once you spot the water coming on board.

I'm looking thru my files for a great article on getting stuck in the fog, will post when found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltgAVsRliA&feature=PlayList&p=65970B8C168F4183&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=39

maybe a bunch of "did you know" safety tips should run alongside the border of this page. great thread!!!!

Fishingnutter
06-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Not the fog article i was looking for but damn good!!! Though it's from a sailing mag, it has good advice. One thing missing,,, always have about 50 feet of floating rope with you, if your electronics fail and you don't have a compass, run the line off the side of the boat. Since you won't be gunning it and moving slowly it will let you know if you are turning, which when your brain is trying to figure out so much at once, will likely happen. The new hand pump horns are worth their weight in gold. I know I'm on the coast but fog happens inland from time to time on the bigger lakes and preparedness is key.

I had to take the course for my job and it's worth the money,, the details on dealing with hypothermia and secondary drowning was astounding and it's more of a drivers license as opposed learners license. This site has some details, I took mine through another company with Transport Canada.

http://www.homeandweb.com/marine-safety-training.htm

Sailing in fog
Summer sailing and fog seem to be inextricably linked in some parts of the country, and everyone who races or cruises will run into a bank of the gray stuff at one time or another. When you do, your priorities change from making good time toward your destination to not running into other traffic and not running aground.

Modern electronics have taken some of the angst out of coping with fog. With GPS, at least you'll always know where you are, so grounding's not so much of a worry. Radar is the greatest asset you can have when fog closes in on you; there is no more terrifying sound at sea than the throbbing diesels of an invisible ship, and being able to track its course on a radar screen is far preferable to cowering in the cockpit waiting for a bow wave to loom out of the mist.

But it would be foolish to place all your trust in electronics. The smaller your vessel, the less likely it will produce a radar echo—that a ship will see your tiny echo on its own radar, or even that a watchkeeper is checking the radar, is not guaranteed. Let's hope you have a proper radar reflector, not one of those bird-feeder look-alikes, and that it works well.

If you don't have radar, your ears are your best defense. It's a shame you can’t rely on them. Sound travels a long way over the water, but in fog it's hard to tell which direction it is coming from. Differentials in temperature and wind create skip zones over which sound waves travel in a curve, sometimes returning to sea level several miles away. The upshot is that you may be hearing an engine or foghorn close by on your port side that actually belongs to a ship some way off to starboard, or you may hear nothing at all until the other vessel is very close indeed.

I always try to make the boat as quiet as possible. This can be difficult. If you're under sail the noise of the bow wave is annoyingly intrusive. If the engine is running, only someone on the bow will be able to hear anything else. It's best to have two listeners, each scanning one side of the boat. I was taught to concentrate in fog by cupping my hands over my ears and closing my eyes; this doesn't look very cool, but it works.

Some vessels make the required sound signals, and others do not. Usually the offenders are other sailboats or powerboats whose aerosol foghorns have run out of puff. You should always have a backup noisemaker on board so you can give the required one-prolonged-two-short blasts every two minutes (one prolonged blast if you're under power). Even whacking the boom with a skillet is better than no noise at all. Bone up on the Rules of the Road for a thorough guide to sound signals.

At the first sign of fog we immediately mark our position on the chart and always keep up a running plot if we are within a few miles of the coast.

We've also always insisted the crew put on PFDs and harnesses, too; I would hate to have to try to retrieve a man-overboard in dense fog. If we're in a heavily trafficked coastal area, we'll head toward the coast and shallower water, well away from the big ships. When it comes to fog, discretion is most definitely the better part of valor. P.N.

Pilotage
Keep on track
For close piloting inshore, it is important to steer down a straight track from one navigation mark to the next. Merely aiming the boat will not be enough if there is any crosscurrent. As soon as you round a mark, line up the following one with some convenient object behind it. This will establish a natural range. As long as you stay on the range with the objects in line, you must be on the straightest track. Casual ranges are not always as obvious as the one shown in the photo above, but anything at all will do—even a distant cloud if there isn’t much wind and the leg is a short one. T.C.

Words from the Wise
"Without the proper chart table and working space found on larger craft, the navigator of a small family cruiser spends much of his time doing what is called 'coastal pilotage...' He learns to look at a chart and see it as a three-dimensional shoreline, and to look at the land and visualize it as a flat chart. What he is really doing is nautical map reading. Far be it from me to suggest that it is unnecessary to learn the more formal navigation methods. On the contrary, to cruise safely and successfully a sound knowledge of coastal navigation principles is essential. But it is as well to realize that while you can keep up an accurate plot in fine and settled weather, as soon as bit of a sea gets up, or the weather closes in, in fact just when you need a good plot, you are likely to have your hands full coping with the boat, and all you will be able to do is sail by eye."

Paul C
06-02-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant that lifejacket should be worn instead of pfds, not over (like layered on top of) PFDs. LOL

however, even then I don't completely agree with you. I think that in certain situations (such as whitewater kayaking or waterskiing) a lifejacket is likely to restrict your movement, catch on things, etc. to such a degree that it could be deemed unsafe. I agree that if you are simply dumped into water that is not too cold and you are unconcious a lifejacket would be better.
I wonder if you would take that gamble with children or your other half.
Common sense is the right approach.:thinking-006:

Okotokian
06-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I wonder if you would take that gamble with children or your other half.
Common sense is the right approach.:thinking-006:

Well I wouldn't run whitewater with small children, that is where my common sense comes in. As for my other half I doubt she would want to paddle far in an actual lifejacket. They are cumbersome and not designed for paddling, whitewater, etc. As well, they are designed to be worn loose, not tightly strapped to the body, a feature you want in some water activities. I would hazard to guess that being washed down a fast moving river you are more likely to become snagged on a branch or underwater log in a lifejacket.

Yes, as I've said, if you are knocked unconcious in still water a lifejacket is better, but it loses that advantage if it inhibits movement unsafely or is so cumbersome that people simply refuse to wear them. But if you and the family all wear those Solas or Standard keyhole lifejackets when you boat on a lake that's great. I can't knock that decision at all.