PDA

View Full Version : pike fly tying

powder burner
05-31-2010, 09:48 PM
where can i find a pike fly tying kit? I have never tied flies before, but would like to start. Im not too interested in the trout flies.

Is there even such a kit one can buy for pike?

Ggeorge
05-31-2010, 09:57 PM
go to your local fishing store and ask them to set you up. all kits are going to b good for trout and pike flies but you will b limited to the pikeflies you can make. the hooks that come with teh kits are generaly junk so its nice to pick up your own in different sizes, length, and even color

Kingfisher
06-01-2010, 08:53 PM
First of all you might want to see a posting that I posted earlier this spring. There are some pike flies in there that are my favorites. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56590&highlight=pike+flies

There really isn't any kit out there for tying pike flies. But I can give you a list of items that will help you get started.

Rabbit zonker strips in various colors.

Krystal Flash. If you only got a couple then Silver and blue are good one's to start with.

Doll eye's 10mm or hologram 5/16" eyes are great. Bigger are better when tying pike flies.

For the head of the fly you can use UV Knotsense from Loon. Or you can use 5 minute epoxy. Or if you have deep pockets you can use the Tuffleye.

Polar bear hair is expensive, but good. You can get some craft fur that comes in various colors that will also work great. If you only get one or two make sure that one is white. You always want to have white in your pike flies. It represents the belly of the fish. If I had to only get 2 colors I'd get white and red. You can't ever go wrong with a red and white fly for pike.

Brush on crazy glue is good to hold thing together when your making double bunnies and other flies that pike like to hammer. You can pick it up at Canadian Tire in the hardware section for about 5 bucks.

I like to use some DNA flash. It comes in various colors. I like the red, black, blue and white. It's not cheap. But it's worth every penny.

Body fir is good to wrap around the head of the fly. Either in red or black. For most of mine I like to tie on the red. But black makes a nice contrast when tying in lighter colors.

As for hooks I use a couple different hooks. The hook sizes I usuallys use is either a 2/0 or a 1/0. I like the Dai-Riki #930's, the Talon Heavy Wire. Or a Mustad Sal****er 34007.

As for thread I use either a 3/0 or a 6/0 size.

If you get all that you will be out about $100 to $400 depending on how much stuff catches your eye.

Good luck and have fun tying those flies.

Rob