PDA

View Full Version : Trespasser caught on trail cam

Huntress
06-15-2010, 05:32 AM
I checked my trail cam last night to see why the dog was going nuts the night before. I leave it out year round not just to view the wildlife but it doubles as a security camera. Well, this is the first time that I got a picture of a person. Our land is very well posted and the house sits on a hill so it is quite visible even with the heavy foliage. Our land backs up to County land so there can be some traffic back there, but since I have lived there I have never seen another person wandering around. As I said earlier, the land is very well posted and this person would have seen the signs. We only have a fence around one acre that circles the house leaving the "back yard" natural. This person came by at 7pm on Friday. I was fully expecting pics of a coyote or mule deer. The picture is color and they looked directly into the trail cam from a foot away so I have a good close up of them. My question is... is there anything that can be done? I really don't know what to do about it. They look to be about 40-45 years old. Old enough to know how to read and know when they are on private property. Any advice would be welcome.

P.S. Obviously they do not know what a trail cam is as they have the puzzled deer in the headlights look in the pic.

elkhunter11
06-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Give copies of the pictures to the RCMP,and lodge a trespassing complaint.

huntinstuff
06-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Give copies of the pictures to the RCMP,and lodge a trespassing complaint.

x2..........

Double Shovel
06-15-2010, 08:12 AM
What did he hurt? I went and checked my trail camera a few weeks ago and noticed somebody came down the river and decided to have a camp fire on my land.I could have took it both ways and let it bother me and contact the cops but it would only stress me out.I always left my gate to my land open to people to go hunt on it and hike and that was my motto and it would be that way until something is wrecked.Well two years ago somebody tried breaking into my cabin and took my firewood,now my land is locked but people can still hunt there,they just have to walk now.If the guy was out hiking I can't see what he hurt or what threat he was.Now being that close to your house in hunting season with a firearm is a different story or if stuff from your yard went missing.I guess I have a different view of it.

nube
06-15-2010, 08:23 AM
What did he hurt? I went and checked my trail camera a few weeks ago and noticed somebody came down the river and decided to have a camp fire on my land.I could have took it both ways and let it bother me and contact the cops but it would only stress me out.I always left my gate to my land open to people to go hunt on it and hike and that was my motto and it would be that way until something is wrecked.Well two years ago somebody tried breaking into my cabin and took my firewood,now my land is locked but people can still hunt there,they just have to walk now.If the guy was out hiking I can't see what he hurt or what threat he was.Now being that close to your house in hunting season with a firearm is a different story or if stuff from your yard went missing.I guess I have a different view of it.
I agree with Double Shovel. Your land backs onto County land as I see it and by the sounds of it he took 2 steps on your property. It sounds like he may not have ever been there and may not have recognized a house was there but I could be wrong. I would think different during hunting season as well but If the guy did not look like he was prowling around and up to no good I would not have let it bother you too much. I am sure there are more people that have crossed your backyard than you would like to think. You just may not have got them all on camera. County land is not so abundant and I think it gets used by a lot of people.
Now , on the other hand if you do feel threatened turn it into the cops but I would think that behind the seen they won't do anything about it. It's a $200 fine and as far as they see it no harm was done. Sad but true. They have more to worry about than tracking down a no named tresspasser

Bear
06-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Has there been much crime around your area? If there has been thefts you may want to talk to your local cops and see if there has been a rash of farm thefts. They may want to know who is snooping around where. Go talk to them, a lot of crimes have been solved by someone thinking something is just not right and just talking to a cop buddy. You don't have to press charges but the cops might want to know about it.

May look harmless, may not be. Can't hurt to go talk with the police.

diamonddave
06-15-2010, 08:57 AM
X2 I would just let them know about it incase there has been some susp. activity going on in the area. If not, then no harm done.

elkhunter11
06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
What did he hurt?

That is not the point,the point is that the trespassers obviously have no respect for private property,since they ignored the signs.If you don't stop them now,they will just keep on trespassing come hunting season.

trophybook
06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
did they have to jump a fence to get on your property?

surface2feather
06-15-2010, 09:45 AM
I do see the 'What did he hurt?' side of things...but eventually....over time...where 1 goes-3 will go, where 3 go-10 will go, and so on...

fish_e_o
06-15-2010, 09:46 AM
That is not the point,the point is that the trespassers obviously have no respect for private property,since they ignored the signs.If you don't stop them now,they will just keep on trespassing come hunting season.

x2 why is it that it's supposed to be ok for someone to be in your backyard if you're in the country. heck, from what i gather here most people think it's their right to be on someones property. but if the tables are turned and it happens to someone in the city it's a big deal and everyone makes a fuss.

just because my backyard is bigger doesn't make it ok

Huntress
06-15-2010, 09:47 AM
There has been a good deal of theft going on. Just a few houses down our road someone took some property off their lot as well as attempted to break in to their travel trailer. This person that was on our property was not simply just "two steps" on our land, but well on our property and nearly up to the house. They could clearly see the house from where they stood. I have printed out the picture and on my way to the RCMP office. Thank you for all of the advice! Better to be a bit cautious when someone is trespassing knowingly than end up like they guy down the road missing a bunch of stuff. I just wasn't sure what to do about it. Thanks again!

outlaw'd
06-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Better safe than sorry Huntress. With the amount of crime in the rural areas lately and from the way you have described your place as being posted, I'm willing to bet this person was doing more than just " hiking".

Trav
06-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Better safe than sorry Huntress. With the amount of crime in the rural areas lately and from the way you have described your place as being posted, I'm willing to bet this person was doing more than just " hiking".

He might have been up to something, but I would think if he was 1 foot away looking directly into camera and he was up to no good the camera would be gone.

but like you all said better safe than sorry

switchsl
06-15-2010, 10:25 AM
I would take the picture to the authorities, incase he was up to no good... you dont necessarily have to charge him, but if they come back, its on record, and if the description matched his picture for other property thefts well... they have a good id on him. The guy was on your land posted no tesspassing, thas the bottom line. I would also move my camera... Incase he comes back to steal that. Just my two cents

BrownBear416
06-15-2010, 10:26 AM
He might have been up to something, but I would think if he was 1 foot away looking directly into camera and he was up to no good the camera would be gone.

but like you all said better safe than sorry

^^^^ x2

Shaggy
06-15-2010, 10:46 AM
C. Y. A.

Nip it in the bud.

Ken07AOVette
06-15-2010, 10:53 AM
What are the chances that he was scoping the place?

I have to agree with the other's that are making sense, if you have something you feel has to be protected by a no trespassing sign, and this guy chose to ignore it, you should back up your stance.

Take the picture to the Police.

westren
06-15-2010, 12:26 PM
x4 or 6

Walleyes
06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Yah I agree nail him to the cross.. He obviously walked a good 50 feet onto your property from crown land.. Probably squashed 5 square feet of your grass,, cost you valuable picture frames on your trail camera,, a real threat to society.. I would do the honorable thing and treat him like a common criminal for such unspeakable actions..

I mean its the only neighbourly thing to do no ??? And I its not like the cops have anything better to do than look after your petty complaints..

Honestly,, I thought I read it all !!!!

joeti7
06-15-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm Glad to see that most people have no trust in anyone else:scared:. I would doubt that a 45 year old is "scoping" your place out, could be but not likely. Maybe he can't read and thats why he didn't stop at the posted signs. For all anyone knows his truck could have ran out of gas and he was coming to use the phone until the dog scared him away?? I would feel pretty bad for getting someone a trespassing ticket because they needed help. I think people need to start looking at this with a positive attitude and see some good in people, as opposed to jumping to "trespassing" and "stealing" conclusions. Like Trav said, if he was looking at stealing something, what better that a $300 camera(just an guess) thats only 1 foot away:scared0018:.

mudbug
06-15-2010, 12:41 PM
What are the chances that he was scoping the place?

I have to agree with the other's that are making sense, if you have something you feel has to be protected by a no trespassing sign, and this guy chose to ignore it, you should back up your stance.

Take the picture to the Police.

X2 Definately take the picture in and report it.

cdock
06-15-2010, 12:47 PM
did they have to jump a fence to get on your property?

Great question. I have been walking down a river for a long way and at the end of the day I see a way to get to the road and save me some time and steps. As I approach the road suddenly I realilze I'm fenced in. Somewhere along the river the fence wasn't there or was gone or whatever. A completely innocent mistake. I would never jump a fence deliberately without proper permission. However at the same time if someone reported me I would be just fine with that as how would they know. So with that said I don't think there is any harm making a note of it and keeping an eye out for anything unusual until you feel comfortable and if some other things arise call it in. But I believe MOST people don't intend to do things like this so it was most likely an innocent mistake. With that said there are SOME people that do everything they can deliberately cause they don't like private land. I guess what' I'm saying do what makes you feel good and makes you feel safe. That's the important thing here, you and your family.

AbAngler
06-15-2010, 01:16 PM
I would doubt that a 45 year old is "scoping" your place out, could be but not likely.

I would have agreed with you until last year. A bunch of houses and cars where broken into on our street. Of course we thought young guys for sure. The guys they caught were 45 to 50. Older pros. They'd break into cars and open garages to gain access. In one case, the victims were asleep upstairs. RCMP said they were lucky they didn't wake up and confront the bad guys. Younger guys would have run, older guys.......who knows?

Report it. Better safe then sorry.

Dakota369
06-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm Glad to see that most people have no trust in anyone else:scared:. I would doubt that a 45 year old is "scoping" your place out, could be but not likely. Maybe he can't read and thats why he didn't stop at the posted signs. For all anyone knows his truck could have ran out of gas and he was coming to use the phone until the dog scared him away?? I would feel pretty bad for getting someone a trespassing ticket because they needed help. I think people need to start looking at this with a positive attitude and see some good in people, as opposed to jumping to "trespassing" and "stealing" conclusions. Like Trav said, if he was looking at stealing something, what better that a $300 camera(just an guess) thats only 1 foot away:scared0018:.

History (and not just recent) has taught us that we live in a age of thievery, and abuse. To say that we should all just give him the benefit of the doubt, and not assume that there was any nefarious intent is so wrong. I really do wish that we didn't live in the times that we do, but the criminals have all learned by now that we as property owners and citizens have no right to protect our property, or our families, and they can get away with just about anything. Report it, and pass the photo on to the RCMP, and let them find out what his intentions were. To do any less would be negligent in my mind. If it is all innocent, then great, set your mind at rest. If you don't, and you go camping for the weekend and come home to a dead dog and a cleaned out garage and house you will regret it. :snapoutofit:

Dakota369
06-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Yah I agree nail him to the cross.. He obviously walked a good 50 feet onto your property from crown land.. Probably squashed 5 square feet of your grass,, cost you valuable picture frames on your trail camera,, a real threat to society.. I would do the honorable thing and treat him like a common criminal for such unspeakable actions..

I mean its the only neighbourly thing to do no ??? And I its not like the cops have anything better to do than look after your petty complaints..

You once again entertain us with the absolute amazing depths to which your ignorance can stoop.......

Actually the police do not have better things to do then investigate trespass issues, as they all to often lead to theft issue etc. The law was broken, period. Just because you feel it is a petty law does that mean that it should not be followed up on? Shooting from the road/at night or poaching are relatively petty breaches of the law as well (as long as no one is injured). Would you suggest that complaints of this nature would be better off not investigated? I am sure if it was the OP's neighbor, he would know that as he did say that he had a good shot of the persons face. For peace of mind alone it is worth following up on, and I am sure that if you had pictures of someone lurking around your place that you did not know you would be inclined to do something as well........:snapoutofit:

switchsl
06-15-2010, 03:25 PM
The stereotype of criminals being punk kids is pretty narrow minded. They are all ages colors and descriptions. Unfortunatly you cant give people the benifit of the doubt anymore. The attitude towards "what does it hurt" is what is causing all of us to lose access to private lands due to distrust.

diamonddave
06-15-2010, 03:39 PM

:snapoutofit: Everyday we here about another quad getting stolen( mine included), or a truck broke into or a trailer ripped off. These people obviously scout out the property before they do their dirty work. Because of personal experiences, if I catch someone on my property, by my house, without a good reason, it won't be tolerated.

Bear
06-15-2010, 03:47 PM

Ted Bundy was caught for a simple traffic violation. Charles Ng was caught by mall cops after shop lifting. Many examples of where small insignificant things catch up the worst of people. If your mind is telling you there is something not right with a situation do not ignore that. Instinct is telling you something is wrong report it. Like I said earlier talk to the RCMP and let them know. You don't have to file a complaint but just let them know. They may or may not who it is. If Brian Knight had trail cams up he might not be facing the legal nightmare that he is right now.

diamonddave
06-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I have to ask Walleyes, if you think she is over reacting, then whats with your sig line< Warning,, I don't call 911>?? Does that mean you will just wait untill somebody actually commits the crime against you before you react? Your post seems a little hypocritical to me, so I am just wondering where you draw the line?

Huntress
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Back from the RCMP. I did not file a complaint, but I did turn the picture in with the date and time. We are pretty far from any roads where someone could just break down and look for help from the direction they came in. You have to go behind either one of my 4 neighbor's homes or come through a good km of county land to get to our back yard. Perhaps they got lost while wandering the county land, but it sure seems funny this seems to happen when we are not home. The last time we had a problem was Christmas day. We came home to find the gate wide open, skidoo tracks in the driveway and the dog acting funny. Now there is a big lock on the gate. Now I have a picture of a person who came on our land while we were down the road having dinner. I can't wait for the alarm system to be installed! I know that living out in the middle of nowhere the response time is not as fast as in the big city, but it may help.

Walleyes
06-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Hey what the heck are all you scared sh!tless town kids mad at me for... I agreed with the O.P. nail the S.O.B to the cross.. Jeez man he walked on yer grass,,, how dare he.

I bet the S.O.B is planning a mass murder,, eh what do you guys think ????

Stinky Coyote
06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
i would lay about 75% guy is scouting the place out for future heist 25% some other reason....just how ya gotta be, we do have the freedom to be naive, i'd be proactive also, trail cams....so much more useful than just game ;)

pottymouth
06-15-2010, 06:32 PM
I would definatly alert the Rcmp, let them start a file . I would rather be proactive than reactive after something bad happens. Wish I would have done the same when my business got robbed, and we saw the same wierdo 2 days before wondering around the building. Now I call in everything suspect, and let the people I pay to take care of it.

nick0danger
06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
I dont know what the RCMP said but the picture cant be used in court, but if something did happen they at least have a piece to the puzzle.

airdrie-ab
06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I am surprised by the number of people who think it is ok to go walk, bike, snowmobile or whatever on someone else's property. Its not yours, its not public.

If you feel a need to do these things and no one will give you permision or for whatever reason you don't want to ask anyone, then get your own.

outlaw'd
06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I dont know what the RCMP said but the picture cant be used in court, but if something did happen they at least have a piece to the puzzle.

Why not? Just curious ...... how would this be any different from surveillance camera pics in malls and such?

Twisted Canuck
06-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey what the heck are all you scared sh!tless town kids mad at me for... I agreed with the O.P. nail the S.O.B to the cross.. Jeez man he walked on yer grass,,, how dare he.

Are you really difficult to get along with in person too, or is it just your Internet Persona? Just curious........:rolleye2:

75ft Arborist
06-15-2010, 08:39 PM
x2 why is it that it's supposed to be ok for someone to be in your backyard if you're in the country. heck, from what i gather here most people think it's their right to be on someones property. but if the tables are turned and it happens to someone in the city it's a big deal and everyone makes a fuss.

just because my backyard is bigger doesn't make it ok

X2 if someone trespasses on my lawn i'm the first one out there with the baseball bat teaching them a lesson not to trespass. :snapoutofit: Come on the guy could have been lost or just out hiking! Unless you have signs every 10ft then he could have walked right between two. Don't get two worked up about it. No crime in your area then keep the pic on file, just in case.

Walleyes
06-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Are you really difficult to get along with in person too, or is it just your Internet Persona? Just curious........:rolleye2:

I am difficult to get along with ???

I am the one that would just leave the guy alone and not make a big fuss out of it but I am the one that is hard to get along with !!!!

I will tell you who I am,, a man that would deal with this if it bothered me and not run to the poe poe every time the boogeyman shows up that's who I am.. A persona,,, don't even realy know what that means..

elkhunter11
06-15-2010, 09:22 PM
You could post a few pictures of the people in the area where they were, with a note stating that copies have been sent to the police,and that if anyone is seen trespassing again,you will file charges.If they were honestly lost,they won't be back,but if they return to be photographed again,it will prove that it wasn't an honest mistake.If they were up to no good,knowing that you have pictures of them,might make them go away for good.

big-river
06-15-2010, 09:31 PM
You work hard to buy a property, fix it up, pay your taxes and be a good neighbour, you deserve the right to feel safe, secure in the sanctuary of your property.
You shouldn't have to worry about people skulking about, especially close to the house. It isn't about somebody using your property, it is about strangers with unknown purposes and intents lurking about the place. You have earned your sanctuary, it should be respected by others, if not, well, the law is there to protect our rights, and should be used.

There is lots of Crown Land in this province, no one needs to trespass.

7mmremmag
06-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I am difficult to get along with ???

I am the one that would just leave the guy alone and not make a big fuss out of it but I am the one that is hard to get along with !!!!

I will tell you who I am,, a man that would deal with this if it bothered me and not run to the poe poe every time the boogeyman shows up that's who I am.. A persona,,, don't even realy know what that means..

HAHAHA the posts you have made in this thread are ridiculous! Let me get this straight.....you are criticizing someone for wanting to ensure their property and belongings that they have worked hard to obtain are safe? Clearly you have never had anything of value stolen from you. Ill tell you right now if someone just happens to get lost in my backyard after jumping the fence and missing the No Trespassing signs they will have a load of BB in their arse. :snapoutofit:

Twisted Canuck
06-15-2010, 11:37 PM

Maybe this will help:

Definitions of persona

1. [n] - (Jungian psychology) a personal facade one presents to the world

2. Psychol. the outer personality or facade presented to others by an individual

3.pl. personas personas The role that one assumes or displays in public or society; one's public image or personality, as distinguished from the inner self.

So, to get back to my earlier question, are you really a difficult person all the time, or just a typical internet tough guy troll? Being as your posts are sarcastically contrary to the general responses on the trhread....Just curious, mind you.....it's all the same to me really.

BTW Huntress, sorry for taking a detour on the thread. I think you took the right course of action, and I hope that nothing comes of the intrusion. TC

drake
06-15-2010, 11:38 PM
its just being "overly paranoid" until someone gets raped then skinned for a lamp shade.

Twisted Canuck
06-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Right! Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get me!:scared0018:

Rustynuts
06-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Maybe he was picking mushrooms? I know when I get going my eyes are on the ground! But you never know lots of strange people out there...

happy honker
06-16-2010, 08:43 AM
It's not just young kids that do B&E's, I've caught two over the years, one was a 13 year old kid that kicked my basement window in, (I then pulled him in thru the same window, funny how he suddenly no longer wanted to be in a house he seemed eager to get into moments before)....

The last guy I caught breaking in was 50 for sure(or a bad looking 45), he was a real scrawny badasx, I felt pretty uncomfortable around this dude, you could tell he'd been there and done that and didnt want to be caught again.

I woudn't take this lightly. You did the right thing getting the pic to the cops.
hh

Dakota369
06-16-2010, 10:16 AM

Well I wouldn't say that I am scared, just realistic. I am not at home 24/7. I have possessions, a spouse ,children and animals that I would like to feel are safe when I am not there. As much as it is worse in the urban jungle, it has over the last ten years or so gotten much worse in the rural communities, in regard to theft and vandalism, as well as breaking and entering. Unlike yourself, I do not want to be in a position (nor can I afford to be) where I have to pay a huge legal bill to defend myself after I may use what is considered by the court "excessive" force to defend my home/family. Nor do I want to live with the mental conundrum of having dealt with said criminal using the 3 S's. I am a proponent of tougher laws re; theft etc., and I would really like our penal system to return to one with a punishment priority vs the rehabilitation stance it has now.
I have seen and heard of too many occasions where people have taken the law into their own hands and have paid a heavy toll for doing it, at times heavier then the actual perpetrators who initiated things. The criminals who we have preying on us (us being the law abiding citizens of this land) are significantly more educated then they used to be. This is partly due to the education they receive while in juvi, or jail, as well as the education they get from their defense attorney's when the are facing charges.

In short Walleye's you are free to do as you see fit, but your tendency to ridicule, and mock what is actually quite good advise in regard to the OP's original question, tends to make you come across as either one of the criminals yourself, of just another internet tough guy who spouts off whatever crap happens to spring to mind. I am sure that you are proud of the fact that it is posters like yourself that make people leave this site. I am guessing your momma never taught you the old adage that if you do not have anything nice to say, it is better to not say anything at all..............unfortunately in this case......

:snapoutofit:

TheClash
06-16-2010, 10:40 AM
is your property fenced along the county land? if so..then it is very fishy....if not...well less so imho...eiher way i think your actions were correct.

Rantastic
06-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Oh give me a break... When was the last time someone came asking u for a gas of gas instead of just syphoning it when u weren't lookin out of your truck? U must live in fairytale land because times have changed...
Coming from a guy who has had their truck broken into, stolen or vandalized 5 times in the last 2 yrs, gfs car broken into and vandalized 4 times in the last 2 months gas syphoned twice this week, landlord and gfs cars broken into and stolen 6 times in the last two yrs, the world is offically a dog eat dog world. One residence in a good part of the city, 17 big offensive crimes in 2 yrs... These were not easy to steal unlocked vehicles left abandoned.... thwese were in the driveway locked, keys chipped and alarmed vehicles. Yes i am very bitter about it and we are moving this week because of it. There is nothing that will stop criminals and everytime we make a police report they toss it in the papper shredder or unsolved crimes folder and never look at it again. WE took in evidence left at the crimescene with clear fingerprints on them and they just said they wont waste their time with detecting anythign now unless there is a murder... It was the same thign when we got robbed at futureshop 3 times... we had them clearly on camera and fingerprints on the doors they push open but the cops even admitted thwey wont do anything... "Just file ur report and your insurance will help you from here sir".

They have no interest and they honestly dont have the manpower. All that hining said... my fathers gravel pit was robbed once every 3 months for about 15 yrs of whatever was not bolted down and thousands of gallons of syphoned fuel, no matter what was done and how many times the cops came and filed reports... The cops always knew who it was but could not get on their land legally to snoop around and find oum, after 15 yrs and about 20 surrounding farmers having the same issue for 15 yrs. They finally raided the guys place and matched tire treads and had enough other evidence to go in there and found 2 dozen stolen semi trailers worth of stuff. and made a novel sized list of the goods then some was returned to whom it belong but most u can imagine was gone, traded, used, sold. Whatever the point is, cops cant do squat without being sued unless they have a large amount of documented evidence and complaints they cant get search warrants I guess... so the more people who just shrug off one or two or ten trespassers or little thefts can hurt the community.

Im glad u decided to report it. The guy probably was just casing the joint and thats why he never stole the camera... probly A couldnt get to it and B that would have alerted u to be on the lookout. Instead the guy will probably be back within the next 3 - 6 months when he knows what vehicles u drive and what ones to look for leavign the yard then he can rob u blind. Criminals are getting smarter these days the older they get the wiser they get. Thats why in my opinion the 40 yr old guy is probly a pro and knows a 200 $ fine is worth the 25 000 score he could make while ur out on vacation to hawaii this winter...

If this sounds like i think everyone is a criminal I don't but I do know alot about bein robbed, Been there done that dozens of times and can tell you that u r ten times better safe than sorry and the best thing u can do is get one of those big mean looking dogs that is really excited and loud and has big sharp teeth. After my fathers shop got raided for 20 grand worth of tools and equip 15 yrs ago the cops told him the criminals would be back in 6 months when he had replaced all his stuff and they were... but this time out german shepard got a piece of them and not a single tool was gone... we did find a barrel rolled over to a smashed window and a rather large piece of denim in our dogs mouth the next morning... Mans best friend indeed. If the guy had nothign to hide and was just coming for help he would have come and said hey, not just skulked around and wandered off.

buckdog
06-16-2010, 11:28 AM
if your signs are up and visible then he is definitely in the wrong and should be confronted about it so yeah take it to the mounties but they probably wont do anything about it since there was no damage done(yet).maybe more or bigger signs are needed??

IR_mike
06-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Huntress, Why not post the pic here on site?

You never know he could be recognized by a board member.

Sooner
06-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Print his picture and nail it to the tree your camera is on, if he comes by again he will know he's been caught in the area and make a note that the local RCMP have it on file. If he was just walkin around you might get contacted as he may want to clear up the misunderstanding, if he is snooping he knows your watching. I'd secure the camera real good cause he knows its there and may come back just for it.

40inchtwister
06-16-2010, 01:27 PM
i would put up a tree stand

greylynx
06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
It's not fun having people drive on to your farm, break into your shop and house, steal a bunch of stuff, and leave a mess while your not at home.

The GRC's (Gravel Road Cops) can't do much anyway.

If I turn some harrows upside down on the approaches to my yard to take out tresspasser's tires, I am the one that will go to jail.

The police are useless and I am rendered helpless, what a wonderful country

junglejay7320
06-16-2010, 06:28 PM
my cousin owns a full section, around Athabasca....he busted 2 guys for trespassing....they shot a chicken 200 yards in side his fence line....so he called the cops,they got a ticket the hole 9 yards....anyway that was in the fall of 2003.....for the last 7 years he has had a flat tire or sometimes tires,every other month....
somebody decorated his drive way with shingle nails.....he's got the long 100-150 metre gravel drive way....he's been picking nails for years and just as he thinks he's got them all....nope missed one....
my point is sometimes is not worth the head ache guys will give back for petty ****....

nick0danger
06-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Why not? Just curious ...... how would this be any different from surveillance camera pics in malls and such?

It is my understanding, that first in order to use a security camera in a public place, you have to post that there are security cameras . second, a security camera that is used as primary evidence has to be maned at all times and tied to a certified clock. Most cameras such as the ones on the c trains in Calgary are used as circumstantial evidence, as they are used to help gather evidence, and can only be used as evidence if there is evidence to back up what happened on the camera.

Now i'm not an expert but used to install security cameras and access control, even worked on the Calgary courts building, and these where all items that came up over time. I could be wrong but that is the story i get from anyone i've ever talk to about it.

ishootbambi
06-16-2010, 08:05 PM
It is my understanding, that first in order to use a security camera in a public place, you have to post that there are security cameras . .

so.....how about some info regarding the PRIVATE PROPERTY that this occurred on?
the cops arent gonna do squat here, so hang on to that pic and if something happens, then post it everywhere and see if someone knows something. im not sure i see a serious concern though...yet.

joeti7
06-17-2010, 04:42 PM
crazy fool, I'm not living in a fairytail land, just speaking from my experience like you are speaking from yours. I have had people come into my yard at 3am, knock on the door and say "we ran out of gas". Never had anyone break into or steal my things, at home anyways. I am not saying that precautions shouldn't be taken all that I am saying is that the more negative you react to somebody that hasn't done anything wrong, the more chance that they will do something to you or your property because you couldn't react like a normal human. And if there isn't one person on here that hasn't been on private land at one time or another without permission, whether it being walking back home taking a shortcut, tripping and falling on someones lawn or turning around in someones feild when you went too far on the road. Just think if the owner saw you and reacted like most of you are here. How you would feel if you were labelled a "theif and trespasser" without being able to explain yourself. Maybe having the guys picture at the cop shop isn't a bad thing so that everone knows and maybe they know something you don't, but don't always judge a book by its cover.

big-river
06-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I had a guy come into my farm yard, following the missus by about 100 yards, up the half mile long driveway, well marked as Private Drive, which comes in off of a No Exit Road, which comes off a gravel County Road, at 11:30 at night, and when confronted, he said he was trying to find the road to Moose Jaw. Which is a bit of detour, I'd say, considering the farm is quite a bit North East of Bonneyville.

Apparently this guy followed the missus all the way out from town, always about a 100-150 yards back. She thought it was me. Now, I wonder what would happen if I hadn't been home.......................................

Rantastic
06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Personally i dont and have never trespassed by accident or otherwise... its pretty easy to respect other peoples property and I am upset when someone disrespects mine. I was always taught respect and to be carefulw ith other peoples stuff... I wish everyone was taught these values. Where I grew up, if i ever took a shortcut through someones yard or jumped a fence I was yelled at and chased and reported to the cops as a thief when I was twelve coming home from school... (i was in their backyard, hwo do they know im not trying to steal stuff?) This is how my part of the world is and always will be. Like the days of the old west values.
I was raised that way and Im sure many others were too... You stay off my land we dont have any issues. If I break down or run out of gas I B-line it straight for the front door announcing myself as I go so as not to startle the owners or allow them to misinterpret my intentions.
With the amount of law abiding citizens vs the other kind nowadays.... I thinks ur being a bit naive. Ignorance is bliss and living with ur eyes closed is nice, dont get me wrong but alot of people get hurt for being a little too trusting these days wouldn't you agree?