PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Med Hat.

Stump thumper
06-15-2010, 02:01 PM
I am tossing the idea around about heading to Medicine Hat next week to do some fishing. Are there any campgrounds besides the few in the city, possibly anything by the river? Would rather not be right in the middle of the city if possible. Also where is a decent boat launch on the river to launch a jet boat?

lone wolf
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
I am tossing the idea around about heading to Medicine Hat next week to do some fishing. Are there any campgrounds besides the few in the city, possibly anything by the river? Would rather not be right in the middle of the city if possible. Also where is a decent boat launch on the river to launch a jet boat?

For camping, it depends how far you are willing to drive. There is a quiet campsite at Sandy Point. It is right on the river but approximately an hour north on Highway 41. However you can fish for (and catch) sturgeon right by the campground. There is a launch in the city, in Strathcona Park. Not the prettiest, but the only place you will get a jet boat in the water within city limits. Another possibility is at EchoDale Park, just east of town. I am fairly sure there is a launch there as well.

Stump thumper
06-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Is there anywhere to launch by Sandy Point? I like the sounds of that campground.

Douglar
06-15-2010, 03:09 PM
yes there is a boat launch.. i was there last weekend and it was REALLY muddy. It''l be a task to get the boat in ....especially with all the rain were having this week!

Stump thumper
06-16-2010, 12:03 PM
It looks like the wife and I decided that if we go we will camp at Sandy Point and hopefully I can latch on to at least one sturgeon. If I can't launch the boat at least I can fish by the campground and not have to drive. I am not at all familiar with that area or sturgeon fishing but I guess there is only one way to learn..

madatter
06-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Most people fishing for sturgeon may think they are targetting them but really until levels drop and the sturgeon congregate in the holes you are just throwing bait and hoping to catch one.
Chances are you will get a walleye or goldeye first but that is one of the nice things about the river....not knowing whats gonna be there!
Not complicated at all.....throw a pickerel rig out(change out the crappy hooks),baited with minnows(or worms) and enough weight to stop it from going downstream too far and wait!!
I used to fish Sandy Point alot and had better luck on the west end of campsite but with river levels being so high it should not really matter.
You may have trouble finding decent areas to fish tho as usually there is a bit of beach between water and willows there when levels are lower....you will be in the willows now.
The boat launch there is'nt really a boat launch,just a part of shore that you can get a boat into the water.....again with levels being so high I don't know how thats gonna work!!
Its actually a nice little campground.....good luck!

Stump thumper
06-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I agree with you on the water level madatter. I was hoping that the weather was going to clear up a little bit and the water would maybe begin to go down. That was before I saw the forcast for the area over the next couple of days.:sad0147: It would have been nice to go there before the big summer crowds are out in full force but I may have to put my sturgeon trip on hold for a couple of weeks.

Cheers and thanks to all for the info.

WayneChristie
06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Im just a ways upstream, and our forecast is calling for 100 MM of rain, so the river isnt going to go down anytime soon.