PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Fisherman

Geezle
06-17-2010, 06:55 AM
I can't believe these things are still around, but I was in Princess Auto yesterday and along with a couple other fishing items, I saw they also have the Pocket Fisherman (As seen on TV!) on sale.

I almost bought one just for kicks, but decided to save my $20 and put it towards a Marmish rod (If I can find one in open water season :rolleyes:)

Freedom55
06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
I've had two for years. One I keep in the car all the time (ya never know ya know) and one that has only been out of the bag once and still has the original rubber crayfish bait in the handy bait storage place. I had been hoping that they will become collector items but that ain't gonna happen. Use good quality reel grease and the darn things work great. I'd like to compare a new one to one made in the 70's to see if they've made any changes.
Fun to ice fish with at trout ponds.

Geezle
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Looking at the box I wouldn't even be surprised if these were vintage from the 70's...it is Princess Auto after all...somebody probably found a pile of them in a warehouse somewhere! :lol:

They come with a couple little plugs I think though, no rubber crayfish :)

Ruger1022
06-17-2010, 08:28 PM
ohhhh the ole Ronco.. would be nice for the car..or floating the Bow.

http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/misc_-surplus/8327660-ronco-pocket-fisherman

http://www.princessauto.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/8327660.jpg

Geezle
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Oops, my bad...looks like it comes with spoons and not plugs :o

pope
06-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Think my dad still has one of the first that came out in the 70's. (1970's)

WayneChristie
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I have one of the originals in pieces too. maybe I will grab a new one and rebuild it!

Geezle
06-17-2010, 08:53 PM
"We have the technology...but we don't want to spend a lot of money"

http://www.pisitoenmadrid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/six_million_dollar_man.jpg

bushnell
06-17-2010, 09:11 PM
These look alot like the original ones,but if my memory is correct the first ones were brown.I had one back then,and just picked up another tonight. This one will be a gag gift for one of my buddies. He likes to buy the cheapest gear he can find,then complain that it didn't last.

TYEE
06-17-2010, 09:25 PM
They were brown for sure. I can remember stream fishin and you could get a good cast once you got good with them. Anyone remember the Dawai Mini Cast? Great little trout rod that came in a black plastic case? The closed reel was like the size of a chicken egg.

bushnell
06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
You can still get those kits.Seen them at TFH last time I was there.

TYEE
06-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah right after i posted decided to google em. There are tons of them!! Some look nice, i remember they weren't cheap in the 80's.

Jamie
06-18-2010, 12:52 AM
You guys just caused me to jump on Ebay and buy one.
This conversation took me back about 35 years to when I was just 5 years old.
My Grandfather had 2 large ponds on his place, both were fully stocked with Trout and he had a wack of these things. I remember them all stacked up in the closet. Anytime someone would need a Rod, all they had to do was reach into the closet. I would bet he had about 15 boxes of these things.

The days I spent as a child at that lake were some of the best ever. I always begged him to come fishing, but he was usually so busy with work. But he always made sure the hired man or one of my Uncles went with me. I wasn't allowed to go by myself due to the fact I was 5 and there were Elk, Sika deer and Dall sheep in that big pen. You should have seen the look on peoples faces when I told them about the Zebras he had. I actually was accused of lying in Grade 3 and they called my folks in. Dad calmly told them that yes in fact I did know a Zebra named Walter and that I got to throw feed over the fence.
I recall AL Omeing sitting around drinking Tea with the family, I also recall a back door trip through Al Omeings game farm.
I recall BEGGING to go Salmon fishing with him out on Mr Keiths boat or to hold in wonder these HUGE plugs they used and wonder just what kind of monsters they were fishing for. Every time I go Salmon fishing now,I recall his unfulfilled promise to take me. I wonder what it would have been like to hang out with those guys. Don't get me wrong, I know a young child shouldn't be out Salmon fishing, BUT I do recall exactly where that promise was made to me. By the time I was old enough to go, he didn't go anymore and MR Keith had passed on.
I recall Grampa being so proud of supplying the driver, Wagon and 6 horse hitch for the Prince's visit to Alberta or the Silver saddle that was used in the Stampede parade for many years.
I recall horse back trips at the Keith Hunting camp up by Mist Mountain and learning to ride in the mountains at such a young age. I vividly recall a creek that ran through the camp that somehow must have had some Oil in it. The Moon turned that water all streaky blue/black. I remember having a nightmare and waking up outside the tent with my Dad leading me back in.
Oh my that was all a very long time ago.
My Dad was young, My Grandfather was full of Pizz and vinegar.. Everything was so different from today.

It's really to bad my kids wont have those same types of memories from the farm, but I think we are doing a great job of making new ones.

So if I cant buy back the farm, at least I can do is get a "Pocket Fisherman"!!!

Btw, I know the exact location of where one of these is sitting on the bottom of a lake.. Anyone think it would have survived 35 years in the water?

Jamie

fishhunt
06-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Had one of the brown pocket fisherman as well. Still have two of the Daiwa mini-casts, one has the drag on top and the other has the drag knob in the center where the line comes out. Kept one in my truck for many years.