PDA

View Full Version : U or Donut?

odoyle
06-17-2010, 11:07 AM
I have read other threads regarding float tubes/belly boats, but they seem to all end up talking about pontoon boats. I'll take this as a hint to the superiority of the pontoon over float tubes, however, I'm not looking to spend the money for pontoon, and enjoy the compactability of a float tube.

I've never owned a float tube, but I think it'll be much more effective than my canoe. Which style is better? U or donut? The U style seems to be more pricey, but for what reason? And for a person who's only plan is to use it on small lakes, does it really matter which one I choose?

wildman
06-17-2010, 11:26 AM
hey O.D.
i own BOTH and they are my primary fishing tool as the boat i have is too much for me to handle alone since a few surgeries i had....
anyhoo, the bellyboat will be cheaper BUT the U-shape as you called it (the one i have is the Outcast Fatcat) is far superior!!
first, you sit much higher getting wet from about thigh or waist down as opposed to waist to stomach deep in the bellyboat therefore much warmer. second, the u-boats are also much faster and more manouverable than the circle shape.
good luck!!!
have a blast!!!
i tend to SLAY in my floats. they are silent and stealthy!!!
not rare to spot fish right below you.
they see you as debris (log??) and not as a threat (boat)
cheers, gw

boomer
06-17-2010, 11:45 AM
uboat are way easier to get into .
if you fish musgeg lakes.
i have both uboat and roundtube
roundtube never gets used any more.

italk2u
06-17-2010, 11:50 AM
The u-boats are certainly easier to handle, but one word of caution...be very careful of leaning forward too far to scoop in a fish, I had a friend who nearly drowned on mitchell lake a few years back ..the belly boat flipped over, leaving him head first in the water and unable to right himself. Fortunately someone in a boat got to him before it was too late.
For that reason I stay with my do-nut.

odoyle
06-17-2010, 12:04 PM
The u-boats are certainly easier to handle, but one word of caution...be very careful of leaning forward too far to scoop in a fish, I had a friend who nearly drowned on mitchell lake a few years back ..the belly boat flipped over, leaving him head first in the water and unable to right himself. Fortunately someone in a boat got to him before it was too late.
For that reason I stay with my do-nut.

No kidding! I read about that in another thread actually. Sounds very suspect that this is potential. I'll have to make sure I'm not strapped in if I get one! haha

boomer
06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Well i tried to flip my open front float tube
on purpose in five feet of water because i
also heard that story.impossible could not
flip it!

odoyle
06-17-2010, 06:22 PM
I've on used a float tube once, and it was round, but I can't imagine flipping a u shaped tube would be that common.

So U's the way to go eh?

What about features? Is there anything some float tubes offer that you would say is a must have?

They must all have a connection for your net and rod eh? And pockets too? What else?

goldscud
06-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Get a Fishcat 4. Pockets on both sides. I tie a rope around behind the seat to which I can tie off an anchor and clip on my net. I also carry a wet bag in the V behind the seat to carry other stuff. Excellent fishing tool and a lot warmer than a donut style tube.

Doc
06-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Check this out.

Float Tubes - The Good, Bad & Ugly (http://www.albertastillwaters.com/floattubestgbu.htm)

Cheers,
Doc

Richard B.
06-18-2010, 05:33 AM
Thanks for posting that link Doc
I am debating if I wll add a float tube to my canoe and inflatable fishing fleet.

Richard

odoyle
06-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Ya, thanks Doc! That was a very informative read.

wildman
06-18-2010, 11:20 AM
IM with boomer on this one....never heard of any such problems...
these boats that flip were maybe older models???
mine is aptly named "fat cat" she's got a VERY WIDE stance and i feel infinitely safe in it....a non-issue...
good luck with whatever you choose O.D.!!!
whatever gets ya off the shore and on the fish works!!!!

Doc
06-18-2010, 11:36 PM
For those that want more info on float tubes...

Float Tubing (http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/floattubing.htm)

For those that think you can not flip a float tube...

U Tube flip test (http://www.flybc.ca/index.php?pid=177)

Cheers,
Doc

italk2u
06-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Doc...That's scary, because that's almost identical to what happened to that buddy of mine at Mitchell...dropped his rod, leaned over to get it and....flip!.

wildman
06-22-2010, 09:11 AM
ok....of course you CAN flip a u-boat....
it's still a non-issue...
that's like saying you should never drive a car because they can crash and explode....
don't do stupid things like lean your entire weight over the front and you won't flip it...
:snapoutofit:

italk2u
06-22-2010, 12:03 PM
ok....of course you CAN flip a u-boat....
it's still a non-issue...
that's like saying you should never drive a car because they can crash and explode....
don't do stupid things like lean your entire weight over the front and you won't flip it...
:snapoutofit:
You mean like, if you don't drive your car through a red light, you won't smash it, right?
It's called operator error in both cases..and let's face it, it happens to all of us.....it's not stupidity, it's just an accident, plain and simple.:sign0161: