PDA

View Full Version : Best Leader for Walleyes?

iliketrout
06-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Are Walleye picky on leader type? Pike can be finnicky sometimes between the black nylon coated ones and the stainless, just curious if anyone had found the same for Walleye?

Big Red 250
06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
I've never used any kind of leader fishing for walleye and I've caught them up to 9 lbs and that's fishing with barbless hooks.

Fishingnutter
06-17-2010, 09:41 PM
I've never used any kind of leader fishing for walleye and I've caught them up to 9 lbs and that's fishing with barbless hooks.

no leader and 8lb test and your set

Deano85
06-17-2010, 09:50 PM
So does using a fluorocarbon leader have any noticable affect?

TBD
06-17-2010, 10:00 PM
When I'm fishing for eyes I spool my reels full with vanish flourcarbon in 6lb and 8lb test.

npauls
06-18-2010, 02:54 AM
You can try using a braided line with a little ball bearing swivel and a couple feet of flouro leader to a jig or whatever you are fishing. Seems to work pretty good for me.

Nate

nicemustang
06-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Yep, braided main line but flourocarbon leader. Can't use metal leaders and expect to catch walleyes.

TexasTornado
06-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Yep, braided main line but flourocarbon leader. Can't use metal leaders and expect to catch walleyes.

X2

Ace
06-18-2010, 07:54 AM
I use 8# fireline for walleye. I've always tied straight to the jig and never had one bite through.

Ace

blwlaw823
06-18-2010, 09:29 AM
What kind of line is on the pickel rig from the store? Mono?

nicemustang
06-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Yes, usually say right on there on the package what the line is and the weight.

whitetail Junkie
06-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Are Walleye picky on leader type? Pike can be finnicky sometimes between the black nylon coated ones and the stainless, just curious if anyone had found the same for Walleye?

Ahhh,I thought most people did'nt use leader's for walleye,unless your useing crank baits???

iliketrout
06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Ahhh,I thought most people did'nt use leader's for walleye,unless your useing crank baits???

This will be my 2nd time specifically targeting them...I thought with their teeth there was a chance of biting through the line. As the more experienced walleye fisherman have pointed out, there's no need for a leader.

Thanks guys.

walleyechaser
06-18-2010, 11:17 AM
no steel leader, it will yield less bites, but as nicemustang says a good fluoro leader is what you want

Kingfisher
06-18-2010, 12:37 PM

I'm with nicemustang and all the others here. Don't use anything other than mono or floro or you won't catch many walleye. Never caught more than one or two walleye when using a steel leader. That was when trolling a rapala. Yea I've been known to troll a rapala from time to time. They seem to shy away from them.

In fact when your out on the weekend try tying a barrell swivel onto your braided line. Then tie on about 4 feet of 8 to 10lb florocarbon. Fish for your eye's. Then once your into them tie on a steel leader and see how many you get. I promise the bite will instantly be off.

Don't ever use Vanish though. I can't believe they still sell that crap. It is absolutely the worst florocarbon line I have ever used in my life. A long time ago I made a mistake and bought a couple spools of it. The first spool was brittle as hell. I thought, maybe just maybe I got a bad batch. So I foolishly bought a second spool. Same crap. Won't make that mistake again.

Rob

oilngas
06-18-2010, 06:05 PM
as above usually just tie jig and worm / minnow / leach (if son in law can be convinced to put one on for mew I hate the things).

Sometimes if the actiopn is hot, and there are a few piksters around u can use a small snap that "seems" to OK with the wallygators if they are aggressive. That gives a tiny edge with the pike.

When slip bobbin just a 1/0 gammy right on the flouro as above.

Kim473
06-19-2010, 06:04 AM
No leader is best if you want to catch-em.

ESOXangler
06-19-2010, 01:02 PM
keep the junk in the trunk. when fising for walters try to stay away from snap swivels, wire and all that other junk. wallys have excellent eyesight so its hard to fool them. id go with kingfishers tip but use a ball bearing swivel instead with about 24 to 36 inches of flouro.

Teamprotz
06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm with nicemustang and all the others here. Don't use anything other than mono or floro or you won't catch many walleye. Never caught more than one or two walleye when using a steel leader. That was when trolling a rapala. Yea I've been known to troll a rapala from time to time. They seem to shy away from them.

In fact when your out on the weekend try tying a barrell swivel onto your braided line. Then tie on about 4 feet of 8 to 10lb florocarbon. Fish for your eye's. Then once your into them tie on a steel leader and see how many you get. I promise the bite will instantly be off.

Don't ever use Vanish though. I can't believe they still sell that crap. It is absolutely the worst florocarbon line I have ever used in my life. A long time ago I made a mistake and bought a couple spools of it. The first spool was brittle as hell. I thought, maybe just maybe I got a bad batch. So I foolishly bought a second spool. Same crap. Won't make that mistake again.

Rob

Same results with 6 and 17lb Vanish. Come get a knot to hold and lost some big lake trout because of it. NEVER have a problem with Silverthread Excalibur.

Cowtown guy
06-19-2010, 01:44 PM
If you are fishing where there are lots of pike and will be using crankbaits then definitely use a leader. The Walleye will bite a crankbait just as well with a leader as without one. The problem with the leaders is that when they twist and kink it destroys the action of the crankbait. This is what turns off the bite. Keep a good straight leader on your line and have fun.

Cranks force a reactionary bite and the fish aren't going to swim in front of the bait to see if it has a leader or not before they bite it.

I definitely agree that it isn't needed for them as they don't tend to cut the line a whole lot. Personally I will not use a leader for them unless I am in pikey waters with a good chance of picking them up as well as the walleye. 7-12 bucks a crankbait gets pretty pricey in a hurry. Especially if you only have a couple of a certain color that the fish are keying on and the pike start to like them as well.