PDA

View Full Version : So much for the fishing around here for the next few weeks.........

incept
06-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Well, close to 9 inches of rain in the past 2 days have sure made a mess. Everything is in flood. The creeks and rivers are in flood and way blown out and the lakes are way high and blown out. I think I saw whitecaps in more than one farmers field on my way back form Lethbridge tonight:(:(:(. Highway 5 has 2 or 3 spots completely covered in water, a ton of houses and streets are flooded and it is supposed to rain for the next day like this. I sure hope things settle down and the bite can get back on track!!!

hustler
06-18-2010, 01:19 AM
makes for decent boat launches though ;)
Bigger flashers you will be ok........

walleyechaser
06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
the reservoirs have not been fishing as good already, now with this mess..... not a good start to the season

Guitarplayingfish
06-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Well, close to 9 inches of rain in the past 2 days have sure made a mess. Everything is in flood. The creeks and rivers are in flood and way blown out and the lakes are way high and blown out. I think I saw whitecaps in more than one farmers field on my way back form Lethbridge tonight:(:(:(. Highway 5 has 2 or 3 spots completely covered in water, a ton of houses and streets are flooded and it is supposed to rain for the next day like this. I sure hope things settle down and the bite can get back on track!!!

Yeah its super brutal. The old man river is so high, submerging trees and anything in its path. Lets cross our fingers we dont have a '95 repeat

floppychicken
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
....has DEFINITELY been the WORST start to a SEASON that "I Personally" have had in a loooong time! South of Calgary, North of Calgary, East of Calgary... you name it, It's been BRUTAL.

We didn't have NEAR the rain that you guys had and my feeling is that the OP is right about fishing and how BADLY it's going to SUCK for the next bunch of weeks... Now ADD IN the Mountain Run-off and it's going to be worse STILL!

Man, those Mosquito's are going to be HUGE!

odoyle
06-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I love the rain. Regardless of the lack of fishing I can get in, we can never have too much rain. I will never complain about too much rain.

Steven Noel
06-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Short term pain, long term gain. The lakes are brutally low, any rain is a good thing, even if that means it disrupts the bight in immediate future, it will help protect fisheries in teh big picture.

Sundancefisher
06-18-2010, 07:58 PM

For every negative there is a positive

High waters scour gravels and dramatically improve spawning habitat and future years successful year classes

Reduced fishing pressure allows for a bit of a recovery

Increased ground saturation improves aquifer recharge and air moisture levels.

Without floods...Cottonwoods would go extinct.

increased rainfall fills reservoirs, ponds and lakes...important cycle...

etc.

75ft Arborist
06-18-2010, 08:08 PM
I blame it on the farmers, they are the ones complaining that it was too dry!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Beazer
06-18-2010, 11:06 PM
im off to saskatchewan, you albertans can keep this stuff.:scared0018:

luckyme
06-19-2010, 01:42 AM
really don't matter for now,gotta go to the hospital on monday and will be bed rest for couple weeks.at least you guys still can go out and i will be the indoor cat.:sign0176:

RedHeadedFisherman
06-19-2010, 05:15 AM
went over the bow at carsland friday,, river was like twice the normal level, i'd say!!:shark::sign0176::sign0161::sign0161: