PDA

View Full Version : Lower Kananaskis Fly-Fishing

brandon
06-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Has anyone been here recently? Are there any decent spots along shore to fish? I will be flyfishing and hoping to camp around the same area! Does anyone have directions to where upper and lower meet and where a creek comes in???
Thanks,
Brandon

Kingfisher
06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Haven't been there in a while. But I hear it's still really low. May be coming up now with the rain.

As for directions to where the upper and lower meet. Just drive past the turn off for the upper lake. Keep going until you see the road turn up to the left. If you follow the road up to the left you'll find the interlakes parking area. If you follow the gravel road down to the right you'll find the lower lake outlet from the upper lake. There will be a million people fishing there at the outlet this weekend. Do yourself a favor pack yourself a lunch. Then make damn sure you have bear sprey and walk past where the lower lake outflow is and hike along the lake. Just watch out for Mr. Furry Face. They like to come down for a drink now and then.

As for camping there is a campsite on the lower lake just before you get to the turn up to the interlakes parking area. It's on your right before the road that goes down to the outflow from the upper lake. But even with all this rain it will be packed. It always is.

There is other campsites in K country.

Canyon Campground
Elkwood Campground
Boulton Creek Campground
Lower Lake Campground
Mount Sarrail Campground
Interlakes Campground

You might want to call ahead. Here is a website for you to check things out. http://www.kananaskiscountrycampgrounds.com/peter.html

As for flies try using a clouser minnow. I always like brown/white or black/white. Nothing too big as far as your clouser. Or a black or green wooly bugger.

Good luck hope the rain stops this weekend. Let us know how you make out.

Rob

nick0danger
06-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Also let your flies have time to get down even though its low its still a deep lake.

brandon
06-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Got a couple cutties on Sunday, very nice day!
Brandon

Fisher_man#1
06-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Another good place to try on the lower lake is by the dam/boat launch. Walk along the top (west) until you get to where a little creek flows at the corner, in there are some good pools that a crystal clear if you have polarized sunglasses you can see the big bulls circling and waiting for food. I caught some good ones there last weekend. Try big black whooly buggers or some zonkers/closers dead drift under an indi or stripped fast depending on their mood. Look for the big dark shapes with white edged fins at the bottom of the pool to see if they follow ect.
Good luck.:)

FishingForLife
06-21-2010, 07:36 PM
I've fished it quite a bit around the Interlakes campground and had good results with Bows and Cutts. This friday, me and my buds are going out to either camp at, Elkwood, or Interlakes, for 1 week. I'll fish all over lower, and let you all know how it goes.

mcampb
06-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Was up there on the weekend, fished most of the day saturday and didn't get much to show for it, fish finder showed tons right where the creek comes in and at the boat launch. Was mostly spin casting, tried everything but I think my presentation needed to be a little more subtle... fly-rod with long leaders is in order for next time. Looking forward to hear how you do during that week!:character0053:

FishingForLife
06-24-2010, 02:36 PM
So we went up on wednesday to throw up our tents, and from what the campground manager was saying. Upper Lake is producing quite the amount of fish. Probably because they just stocked it with 14,000 legal size fish. As for Lower Kananaskis Lake, the water is comin back up, and pretty fast too. People are catching bulls around 10 feet from shore. I'll remember to post on here about my week camping next to the lakes.
From Friday (25/06/2010) to Saturday (03/07/2010) We'll be camped at Interlakes Campground, Sites 13 & 14. If anyone comes out that way, and Im actually at the campsite, come up and ask for Matt, and we'll go do some fishing!