PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon caught in Red Deer pond

James M
06-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I looked around and didn't see it here yet so here it is:

http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/news/Monster_sturgeon_caught_at_River_Bend_Golf_Course_ 96644989.html

go-big-or-go-home
06-18-2010, 04:24 PM
hmmm who woulda thunk lol

Rockymtnx
06-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Thats a pretty cool story James.
Thanks for sharing.

kodiakken
06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
As a kid growing up in southern Alberta we use to fish lots in the South Sask and the Red Deer. We fished the Red Deer about 20 miles west of the forks and have seen a few sturgeon pulled out. Never seen any as large as the ones caught in the South Sask around the Sandy Point Bridge Area.

Cool to see.

Ken.:shark:

ishootbambi
06-18-2010, 05:17 PM
for all the irrigation waterways connecting to the rivers it wouldnt surprise me to see a few more on the prairies. ill bet that guy musta thought someone slipped something in his coffee that morning. :bad_boys_20:

TexasTornado
06-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Thumbs up on that, i want all my Pro V1's back.............just like the 28lb Northern caught in Bower Ponds.

Unreal

cecil
06-18-2010, 11:32 PM
nice! good time to put him back in the river, when it's running high. Surprised to see that fish come out of such a small pond.

walleyechaser
06-19-2010, 10:21 AM
good story, thanks for posting it

Pudelpointer
06-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Many moons ago in the Fraser Valley, my uncle and cousins landed a small 2 footer that was hooked bad, so figuring it was going to die anyway (this was back when you could keep the odd one, but they had a min/max size; this one was too small) they threw it in a tub in the truck, no water, just a lid.

A couple hours later when they got home, they realized it was still alive. Out of curiosity, my cousin talked my uncle into letting him throw it in the fountain they had in the back yard. The pool around the fountain was about 8 feet x 8 feet x 10" deep, with the fountain in the centre. To their surprise, not only did the sturgeon survive, but he grew fast on a diet of table scraps and fish guts/heads (they fished a lot in those days).

I watched that fish grow for over 2 years, until it got so big it could hardy turn around in the pool, and could only go in circles. They took it back down to the river and let him go. Interestingly, I don't think my uncle killed another sturgeon after that - mind you they stopped allowing it right arount that time as well.

They are a tough fish.

Safety D
06-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Geons are very special and personal to me. Tough and are magnificent creatures !!!!

braxxtonn
06-19-2010, 05:43 PM
thats a cool story man

ice
06-19-2010, 08:08 PM
What puzzles me is what he was doing throwing a line into a golf course pond to begin with. All I can say is damn. Wish it nada been me. Good stuff.

Ice:confused: