PDA

View Full Version : archery elk

fireguyfire
06-20-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm trying to complete my Alberta slam with the bow; I still need a black bear, a cougar and an elk. I am going to focus on bugling in and arrowing an elk this year, and am wondering if anyone can suggest a good area where you can bugle elk (and hopefully not 100 hunters) in. I am in the Calgary area.

ishootbambi
06-20-2010, 10:20 PM
for sheer numbers and availability, i would guess the valleyview to grande prairie area would be a good bet for elk. canmore bow zone has them as well and closer to you. the foothills west of nanton has elk as well as does the porcupine hills a little farther south. k-country is full of elk, but they are a little more work. good luck.

pottymouth
06-20-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm trying to complete my Alberta slam with the bow; I still need a black bear, a cougar and an elk. I am going to focus on bugling in and arrowing an elk this year, and am wondering if anyone can suggest a good area where you can bugle elk (and hopefully not 100 hunters) in. I am in the Calgary area.

If you know some people the south bowzone can be agood bet, otherwise any of the area'a that Ishootbambi said would be great. The north zones also have a good chance at stumbling upon a blackie as well. Maybe you could share some pics of your other bow kills, especially the sheep one.

Congrats and good luck.

trouty
06-20-2010, 10:29 PM
you live in one of the best elk zones in the province. If you work in the city you could be out there after work and day of the week.

Get looking around and knocking on doors.

ramshorn
06-21-2010, 08:43 AM
I am curios on what the alberta slam is. I have taken Elk, Sheep, white's and mule deer, a bear and coyotes with a bow and helped take down 2 moose. what all does it take to make the alberta slam. i guess i may need a cougar still and my own moose.

buckbrushoutdoors
06-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Nice work, I would love to see that big horn? was it in 410? Im going to draw my archery antelope next year do you have any advice for a novice bow hunter for killing a big lope with the bow?

fireguyfire
06-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Nope, my ram was a 408 ram; killed him 3 years ago and he went 177". I will try to find the old thread with the story and photos and post a link.
I have hunted the Canmore area a ton over the years, and my experience has been calling in 10 hunters for every 1 elk, and most older bulls are silent as they have been bugled aqt so much. Maybe I need a relative to marry into a family that owns land in the bow zone so I can get some permission!

fireguyfire
06-21-2010, 05:43 PM
I heard from a buddy that a guy should go south and west of grand prairie; I have never been into that country but would love to check it out. If a guy headed up there to bugle one up, is there anybody in that country that could steer a guy in the right general direction? I'd hate to waste most of my time finding the country that would be good, and then turn around and drive home.

7mmremmag
06-21-2010, 07:06 PM
I heard from a buddy that a guy should go south and west of grand prairie; I have never been into that country but would love to check it out. If a guy headed up there to bugle one up, is there anybody in that country that could steer a guy in the right general direction? I'd hate to waste most of my time finding the country that would be good, and then turn around and drive home.

Southwest of GP. So down by Two Lakes? Yea there is Elk in that country, but I dont think theres nearly as many there as there is on the Berland or Smoky River. I worked south of GP around two lakes aswell as down the Weyerhauser main haul and canfor roads. South of GP would not be my first choice. Try north of Fox Creek. Little town called Little Smoky. Quite a few bowhunters hunt west of there. Theres lots of elk though!

-CLM-
06-21-2010, 08:28 PM

If you want to chase Elk SW of Grande Prairie (Two Lakes) you might as well make it a true Alberta slam and bring a Grizzly tag....

However, if you were one of the unlucky ones like myself and did not get drawn for Grizzly then there is a ton of access to great elk hunting just south of Valleyview.

7mmremmag
06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
If you want to chase Elk SW of Grande Prairie (Two Lakes) you might as well make it a true Alberta slam and bring a Grizzly tag....

However, if you were one of the unlucky ones like myself and did not get drawn for Grizzly then there is a ton of access to great elk hunting just south of Valleyview.

I totally agree with that CLM, lots of bears in the Two Lakes area. Just south of Valleyview would be Little Smoky

walking buffalo
06-21-2010, 11:13 PM
I just got back from fishing the Bow east of Calgary in 212. Watched a young Bull Elk for a couple of hours. First Elk I have ever seen in this area. :cool: