PDA

View Full Version : Gopher fun

Raptor
06-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Went out shooting gophers today with my boy. Had a lot of manly time and fun. Shot about 80 or so. Here is a few of them. What a great way for a youngster to get introduced to hunting and gunmanship.

feserboy
06-20-2010, 11:07 PM
sounds and looks like a ton of fun:)

ishootbambi
06-20-2010, 11:08 PM
good job dad! bet there was no place he'd rather have been.

pottymouth
06-20-2010, 11:52 PM
nice work!

Rantastic
06-24-2010, 02:27 PM
aw they're all dirty!! lol good shootin. ur right best way to introduce someone to gun safety and to respect guns cuz he can plainly see the damage they can do. looks like a good day

Ruger1022
06-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Nice shootin Tex
Now you just have to teach the boy to cook:)

GOPHER STEW

6 lbs. gopher meat
1/4 lb. salt pork, cubed
3 Spanish onions, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 (16 oz.) cans sliced tomatoes
10 c. water
2 datil peppers, whole
Salt and pepper to taste
3 potatoes, cubes
5 tbsp. brown flour
1/2 c. water

Clean gopher meat well and drain. Fry down salt pork in a large cast iron pot. Add meat and brown. Remove meat, drain on paper towels. Add onions, celery and bell pepper to salt pork grease and saute until tender. Add tomatoes and a little water if needed and cook down to a pulp on low heat for about 2 hours. Add gopher meat, 10 cups water and datil peppers and salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Add potatoes the last 30 minutes of cooking. Mix brown flour with water in a glass jar and shake vigorously. Bring stew to a boil and thicken with flour mixture. Serve over UNCLE BEN'SŪ rice.

Raptor
06-24-2010, 09:09 PM
LOL - Never tried that one myself.:sick:

Rantastic
06-24-2010, 10:12 PM
yep me either, sounds terrible lol

trooper
06-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Took a survival course many moons ago ( back in the late 70's) and we tried gopher back then. (we were real hungry!) The recipe you posted sounds like a rabbit stew recipe that was given to me by an old crusty SSM (from newfoundland) back in the early 90's.
We made a stew out of rabbit in the Sr. NCO barracks (griesbach) that we had snared out in the Wainwright training area.
Man that was a delicious stew! For a crusty old SOB, he could sure cook!
I suppose you could substitute the Gopher with Porkupine or any other small game (except mice!!!):scared0015:

Got Juice?
06-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Nice shootin Tex
Now you just have to teach the boy to cook:)

GOPHER STEW

6 lbs. gopher meat
1/4 lb. salt pork, cubed
3 Spanish onions, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 (16 oz.) cans sliced tomatoes
10 c. water
2 datil peppers, whole
Salt and pepper to taste
3 potatoes, cubes
5 tbsp. brown flour
1/2 c. water

Clean gopher meat well and drain. Fry down salt pork in a large cast iron pot. Add meat and brown. Remove meat, drain on paper towels. Add onions, celery and bell pepper to salt pork grease and saute until tender. Add tomatoes and a little water if needed and cook down to a pulp on low heat for about 2 hours. Add gopher meat, 10 cups water and datil peppers and salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Add potatoes the last 30 minutes of cooking. Mix brown flour with water in a glass jar and shake vigorously. Bring stew to a boil and thicken with flour mixture. Serve over UNCLE BEN'SŪ rice.

MMMMMM sounds tasty. I will have to go out and get me some gophers now.

Sweeet taaasty goooopher meeeeeeet. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder if you could sub a little ... like tex mex tacos for this!

Raptor
06-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Stull not going to eat the ground varmints.