PDA

View Full Version : MHC Pond....Fun Perch Fishn!

Fishfinder
06-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Great place for some easy perchies or jus to take the lil ones out for gauranteed action. Went down yesterday since everywhere else to fish around here is in a state of mayhem. Caught a dozen perch in about an hr and lemme say, totally effortlessly. Used about 1/8th (if that) of a piece of nightcrawler on a tiny hook, cast out, wait 2-20 seconds, and fish on. Over and over again. The odd perch was big enough (6-8") for a pan fry but I let em all go...this time:D
Next time I go there I reckon I'm gonna target these pike everybody keeps telling me are in there. Buddy fishing beside us claimed he has pulled Walleye outta there too? Hmm? I'm gonna spend some time down there and find out for meself what exactly is in there:)
Anyways, it was fun. Nice place to go while the lakes/rivers simmer....whenever that will be:sign0161:

colin467
06-21-2010, 09:10 AM
where about is it located?

Fishfinder
06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
where about is it located?

Medicine Hat College Pond. Across from the college, not the small pond on the college grounds....the larger pond, across the street, by Connaught Golf Course and student housing:)

Sundancefisher
06-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Medicine Hat College Pond. Across from the college, not the small pond on the college grounds....the larger pond, across the street, by Connaught Golf Course and student housing:)

Sounds like another illegal stocking. If so...keep your limit as there are probably a lot of little perch in there!

Fishfinder
06-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Sounds like another illegal stocking. If so...keep your limit as there are probably a lot of little perch in there!

The perch and pike are meant to be there I believe, but don't quote me on that. The walleye I'm not sure are even in there, if so, they may have been introduced illegally? If I ever see FnW down there, I will surely inquire.
There's definently a gazillion perch for any pike in there to feast on. If I do find out anything was illegally stocked, I will keep my limit and cook em up for sure!:)
Cheers n GL!

Fishfinder
06-21-2010, 09:44 AM

Hmmm jus checked and it only mentions Pike in the regs. Does that mean the perch are NOT meant to be there. If so, what's my limit on them, and if they want the perch gone....why would there even be a limit?
Cheers.

ishootbambi
06-21-2010, 04:22 PM
im 37....pike perch and walleye have been in there since i was a wee small feller. there are some HUGE pike in there. i have caught one over 30 years ago, and in the spring when they spawn i have seen more in that range. they never seem to bite real hot though. the odd perch there will get over 12 inches too. jigging in a boat is highly productive.

Fishfinder
06-21-2010, 06:26 PM
im 37....pike perch and walleye have been in there since i was a wee small feller. there are some HUGE pike in there. i have caught one over 30 years ago, and in the spring when they spawn i have seen more in that range. they never seem to bite real hot though. the odd perch there will get over 12 inches too. jigging in a boat is highly productive.

Cool, thanx for the tips ISB! Well, now I am convinced:)
Huge pike...in the city (discluding river) = HAPPY ME!:sHa_shakeshout:
Hi Ho Hi Ho, off a pike wranglin I go!
Cheers n thanx!

WayneChristie
06-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Sounds like it might be interesting. One thing I found this past weekend at the Gathering, storm wildeyes and perch in the small size were kicking butt, instead of the bigger 3 inchers. Lots of interest, but more takers on the smaller size.

castaway
06-26-2010, 07:12 PM
My house is a 5 minute walk from this pond so I spent a few hours down there today just to see if I could land a slough shark or two. Tons of perch but no luck with pike. A larger perch (9") got brave and gobbled up my Canadian Wiggler. Too funny. A great place to take kids to learn to fish though

Fishfinder
06-26-2010, 11:24 PM
My house is a 5 minute walk from this pond so I spent a few hours down there today just to see if I could land a slough shark or two. Tons of perch but no luck with pike. A larger perch (9") got brave and gobbled up my Canadian Wiggler. Too funny. A great place to take kids to learn to fish though

I was there this morning for a couple hrs too. Bunch of little perch and had a decent pike on but lost him grr! Guy beside me landed one though...bout 24" ish. He also figured there's walleye in there but I still don't know bout that one? Perhaps I'll see you down there sometime:)
Cheers n GL!

WayneChristie
06-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Have to hit the Hat to change my truck insurance Monday morning, maybe I will bring the pontoon and check it out. is there anywhere to park at the water?

madatter
06-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Have to hit the Hat to change my truck insurance Monday morning, maybe I will bring the pontoon and check it out. is there anywhere to park at the water?

Turn off #1 onto College Ave overpass.Turn right off College Ave onto Colege Drive.Turn right just after College Rez onto Primrose Drive.
You can park down by the lake just off Primrose Drive.

Fishfinder
06-27-2010, 07:46 AM

Yes, there is a small dirt lot at one end of the lake but the uneven dirt road down to it is kinda rough, if u drive a lemon like me you may need to park on the street, otherwise u should be all good. (The street is only 50yrds from the lake).
I find out tonight when/if I work tomorrow. When u planning on going, perhaps I'll join you. I likely don't work until 5. Drop me a p.m. if u plan to go, not sure if u still got my cell #?
Cheers!

Trouthound
06-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Buddy fishing beside us claimed he has pulled Walleye outta there too? Hmm? I'm gonna spend some time down there and find out for meself what exactly is in there:)
:sign0161:

A guy I fish with often claims he caught a walleye in there too a few weeks back. I didn't think any were in there, but he knows his fish.

WayneChristie
06-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Yes, there is a small dirt lot at one end of the lake but the uneven dirt road down to it is kinda rough, if u drive a lemon like me you may need to park on the street, otherwise u should be all good. (The street is only 50yrds from the lake).
I find out tonight when/if I work tomorrow. When u planning on going, perhaps I'll join you. I likely don't work until 5. Drop me a p.m. if u plan to go, not sure if u still got my cell #?
Cheers!

after the day I had today I think I will hit the same lake, crazy pike!!!!

braxxtonn
07-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Went to the collage pond yeasterday and hammered 20 perch myself and buddy caught 10 , in about 2.5 hours , Was using slip bobbers with leeches ,
they were bitting pretty close to shore in about 8 feet of water , but just nibbling so u had to really set the hook , all of them were pretty small execpt the big ole jack i had on that snapped my line, lol , he was about in the 5 6 pounder range , would like to go there sometime in a canoe and jig ,

Fishfinder
07-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Went to the collage pond yeasterday and hammered 20 perch myself and buddy caught 10 , in about 2.5 hours , Was using slip bobbers with leeches ,
they were bitting pretty close to shore in about 8 feet of water , but just nibbling so u had to really set the hook , all of them were pretty small execpt the big ole jack i had on that snapped my line, lol , he was about in the 5 6 pounder range , would like to go there sometime in a canoe and jig ,

I hear ya. Next time I go gonna take the yak and do some trolling for some fat jacks, maybe do some jigging as well, see if i can locate a walter or 2.

Buddy of mine kept a few bigger perchies the other day we were there, cooked them up, said they were delicious:)
Cheers!

braxxtonn
07-04-2010, 07:40 PM
I hear ya. Next time I go gonna take the yak and do some trolling for some fat jacks, maybe do some jigging as well, see if i can locate a walter or 2.

Buddy of mine kept a few bigger perchies the other day we were there, cooked them up, said they were delicious:)
Cheers!
yeah i kept 8 of them , cookedt hem up and they were deliscio!!=]

they were allfairly small tho

Fishfinder
07-04-2010, 08:58 PM
yeah i kept 8 of them , cookedt hem up and they were deliscio!!=]

they were allfairly small tho

What's the limit anyway or is there one? Regs don't say. I'm assuming 20 but not sure.
Cheers!

WayneChristie
07-04-2010, 09:01 PM
General regs if it isnt specific, that would be 15

Fishfinder
07-04-2010, 09:04 PM
General regs if it isnt specific, that would be 15

werd bird.
Thanx!:)

ishootbambi
07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
anyone know if the pond in southridge still has them? used to get em up to 12 inches in there, but i havent tried for probably 10 years or so.

madatter
07-06-2010, 07:37 AM
anyone know if the pond in southridge still has them? used to get em up to 12 inches in there, but i havent tried for probably 10 years or so.

Lots of minnows or fry.....can't really tell what most are!
I used to live a block from there and would always see a kid or two fishing for em.Now I see kids trying to net minnows instead.....