PDA

View Full Version : A deer named Lucky

209x50
06-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Back in March at the ED Sportsman show Rob asked me if I minded him giving a subscriber my phone number. He went on to explain that he wouldn't ask such a favour for many people but the fellow in question was practically his first subscriber to the magazine. I said sure, what the heck and give him my email as well. He laughs and shows me the hand written letter the fellow had sent requesting my contact information. This gentleman had never set foot on the information super highway.
Weeks went by and we finally connected by phone and had a nice chat. He wanted to get together for coffee but with the goofy schedule I keep it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I had the chance to be over in his neck of the woods. I gave him a call and made sure that the day was good for him.
He is 68 and his wife is 73, both are still avid hunters. He showed me his favorite rifle a 340 Weatherby Lazermark and her 30/06. We had a great visit and spent a very enjoyable afternoon visiting and touring their new root cellar.
Then a doe whitetail walked out of the woods across the lawn and up onto the deck. "oh Lucky is here" she exclaimed and then grabbed a loaf of bread and went out to feed the deer. It was amazing to watch the doe behave for all the world like a big affectionate dog with her and to see her yet unborn young kicking the heck out of her side.
So then we got the entire story. Eleven years before their great Pyrenees had packed home a fawn still in the birth sack. They tried to get the fawn back to its mother but she had vamoosed and so they became surrogates with the big Pyrenees adopting the fawn as her own. They had books full of pictures, but the greatest one that stuck in my mind is Lucky with a Milk Bone in her mouth. Lucky grew up thinking she was a dog and lived on dry dog food. She had her first set of twins her second fall and another set of twins the next year. Every year since she has had triplets and has now mothered 25 young! Last fall road hunters ignoring the posted land shot Lucky in the neck on the lane way to their home. The old girl survived and found him later and stood for doctoring over the next week. She now bears a patch of snow white hair where the bullet stuck her.
One of the best stories he told about Lucky was hunting coyotes with her, he said that she knew where a coyote was long before it came into sight.
Sandi and I had a great afternoon with some very down to earth people and we have hopes of getting together with them again soon. Perhaps Lucky will bring her new young around for a visit.
Oh and Rob, his next year subscription is on me.

buckbrushoutdoors
06-21-2010, 06:04 PM
cool story Rich!

TreeGuy
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
It's funny how taking a few short minutes to read a story that cool can turn a craptacular day right around. Thanks for the post 209. :)

Gotta love the 'old-timers' though. Two years ago, a retired gentleman stopped by my jobsite and asked if he could have the firewood. As it would turn out, he and his long time hunting/fishing buddies have a group of cabins in the north/central part of the province that they heat with firewood. They aren't quite as capable of cutting their own anymore, and previous to our incidental meeting, they had been buying it at great expense.

We shared some tales, exchanged numbers, and anytime I'm in the south part of the city, I give him a shout and he always shows up. I try to arrange it such that we are there and can load it with him. There is always a new story and lots of laughs! Really puts things into a bit of perspective. I hope that at his age, I'll still be able to continue with the passion (obsession??), and be able to pass along my own goofy experiences to a whole new generation of hunters............

hal53
06-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Good tales by both you guys!!!...good on yah!!!...too soon we'll all be the "old" guys looking for some assistance!!!.LOL

209x50
06-21-2010, 07:21 PM
It's funny how taking a few short minutes to read a story that cool can turn a craptacular day right around. Thanks for the post 209. :)

Gotta love the 'old-timers' though. Two years ago, a retired gentleman stopped by my jobsite and asked if he could have the firewood. As it would turn out, he and his long time hunting/fishing buddies have a group of cabins in the north/central part of the province that they heat with firewood. They aren't quite as capable of cutting their own anymore, and previous to our incidental meeting, they had been buying it at great expense.

We shared some tales, exchanged numbers, and anytime I'm in the south part of the city, I give him a shout and he always shows up. I try to arrange it such that we are there and can load it with him. There is always a new story and lots of laughs! Really puts things into a bit of perspective. I hope that at his age, I'll still be able to continue with the passion (obsession??), and be able to pass along my own goofy experiences to a whole new generation of hunters............
Good on you Tree! I've helped out a fair number of people over the years and enjoy it the most when they don't know who did it. This fellow will never know either.
I know what you mean about turning a day around though, that visit had me smiling for a week!

Rockymtnx
06-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Cool story Rich. Thanks for sharing.

Amy
06-21-2010, 07:28 PM
That was a Great story!

redranger15
06-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Good read , thanks for sharing.

bagwan
06-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Great story. Funny, I don't think he's an "old timer" at all. Them fellers are 90+

dmckay
06-22-2010, 08:36 AM
That was a great story! Needed a pick up this morning and that did it.

Albertadiver
06-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Don't hear enough stories like that these days. Thanks for sharing.

Bobby B.
06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
It's experiences like yours that enrich one's life.

Whenever the strains of business are started to wear on me, I go out and find someone to do a kind deed for. This simple act of kindness leaves both parties feeling rejuvenated.

Way to go.

Bobby B.

walking buffalo
06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Great stories 209 and Tree

Some of my most memorable hunting experiences have been meeting "old timers" in the field.

A few years ago, I shot an Antelope by Manyberries on opening morning, went back to camp where a few other groups had set up base. Only one other person was around, a gentleman from the Pincher Creek area.

We started to chat, and then it was time to sit back and let this good man tell his stories. I had intended to leave that afternoon, but it quickly became clear that my time was better spent enjoying his conversation, which lasted into the night.

I couldn't mention a single place that he didn't know intimatley, and fill me in on the history of the place. You know, like that tiny sulpher water spring at the back of that valley where the moose walk through the creek at night to take turns drinking from the seep.

Nothing like having the older boys tell us how it was.

Helping people like this out usually leaves me feeling like I got the better part of the deal.

mudbug
06-22-2010, 12:28 PM
209, Tree and WB thanks for posting those. It's nice to hear about people that take the time out to listen and help out other people :)

TikkaT3wsm
06-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Great Stories Guys! Thanks

flint
06-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Nice to hear stories from the old timers:sign0161: I am an old timer. Well not yet, but in 7 years I'll be 60. Thanks for the stories guys!

209x50
06-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Great stories 209 and Tree

Some of my most memorable hunting experiences have been meeting "old timers" in the field.

A few years ago, I shot an Antelope by Manyberries on opening morning, went back to camp where a few other groups had set up base. Only one other person was around, a gentleman from the Pincher Creek area.

We started to chat, and then it was time to sit back and let this good man tell his stories. I had intended to leave that afternoon, but it quickly became clear that my time was better spent enjoying his conversation, which lasted into the night.

I couldn't mention a single place that he didn't know intimatley, and fill me in on the history of the place. You know, like that tiny sulpher water spring at the back of that valley where the moose walk through the creek at night to take turns drinking from the seep.

Nothing like having the older boys tell us how it was.

Helping people like this out usually leaves me feeling like I got the better part of the deal.
I think the biggest benefit is they force you to slow down and relax while you are talking with them and that is no small trick in my life for sure. But it sure is appreciated when it happens.
I'm no old timer yet either Flint, just a couple of years behind you.

Arn?Narn.
06-23-2010, 05:47 PM
wonderful stories...

I know of a couple of hunters who shot a moose particularly close to a mans house, early in the morning...not in his yard, but still close.

After the shot, within 2 minutes they saw the porch light come on.

They started in dragging on the nmoose to get it to the rd and into the truck before they got an earful...

It was no use,...they couldn't drag it, it neded to be paunched and now they could see a man walking towards them from the house...

As they prepared to engae in a tongue lashing,.. the man srrived and says with a big grin "ya got him did ya by's, ya got him, yes sir you got him"

"Come down to the house and have a cup of coffe and I'll get the bog bike out of the barn (Honda Big Red)

"Elaine! Elaine,..get up, da by's got a moose up in the garden and I needs a couple of pans for the heart and liver"

The old fella got a few ropes, took his knife and axe and saw, took the bike and the cart and they set in. He asked if they wouldn't mind helping him drag most of the guts and stuff away cause the gulls would be there like mad...

That day changed the guys who shot the moose in a very profound way.
Not sure of recent years but 5 years ago they were still stopping in to visit him on hunting trips..

Rantastic
06-24-2010, 01:38 PM
As a young obsessed hunter like myself its all the stories such as these that make hunting so enjoyable for myself. Its not the hunt, or the kill and certainly not the butchering that is my favorite part, but the story telling and sharing of food, drink and good times that really are why i live my life this way. In a way there is a good boys code that seems to be present among most outdoorsmen and it doesnt matter, the equiptment or the animal or how you hunt... Just the attitude when your out there around the campfire and enjoying our great outdoors. For me there is no better feeling than getting out away from the city and among friends, or strangers who will soon become great friends through random means.

elkmakemecrazy
04-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Btt

ReayMan
04-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Great stories guys. Thanks for taking the time to post.

CountryLife94
04-05-2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the great read! Haven't had many threads like this lately and I thoroughly enjoyed this one :happy0180:

SD1797
04-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Excellent stories guys. Some of my favorite hunts ended up unsuccessful but still so enjoyable just for the fellowship of friends and like minded people.

hayseed
04-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Good stuff 209 and Tree...

I just got back from th Dominican... One aft, this older gent kicked my lounger.. Lol... I was nappin wearin a camo hat..I was abit taken aback by this gruffly fella, and coming out of a sleepy too much drinky the night before, first thing he says....
"You hunt??" I'm like sure do.... "Get the hell up he says, let's have some rum, I gotta weddin at five.." ..lol....

Turns out he from Illinois, been there, done that, and I had the greatest day ever, with my new friend slamming rum punch, swapping huntin stories, layin by the pool.... I will never forget that day... :)

honda450
04-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Good stuff 209 and Tree...

I just got back from th Dominican... One aft, this older gent kicked my lounger.. Lol... I was nappin wearin a camo hat..I was abit taken aback by this gruffly fella, and coming out of a sleepy too much drinky the night before, first thing he says....
"You hunt??" I'm like sure do.... "Get the hell up he says, let's have some rum, I gotta weddin at five.." ..lol....

Turns out he from Illinois, been there, done that, and I had the greatest day ever, with my new friend slamming rum punch, swapping huntin stories, layin by the pool.... I will never forget that day... :)

Congradulations on getting married. Wedding days one never forgets. LOL

SonofDixie
04-05-2014, 10:55 AM
I love threads like these.

I have a good friend in Texas I call Grampaw. (he's my brother-in-laws grampaw, but that's what everone calls him) One hell of a man. The greatest stories you ever heard.
He's in an isolation room right now for leukemia.... these stories make me think of all the good times I had with him. Not just hunting, but working, running errands, and just sitting having a sweet tea. He'll keep you laughing for a week..... God I miss that old man.

I can only remember one story off the top of my head. He had the strangest luck you ever seen follow a hunter.

He was at a friends house sitting around talking about how deer kept eating his crops. So he told him "well go get your gun and we'll shoot one" but the guy didn't have but one slug for his shot gun. (hard times) so they walk out to the crops and had to walk up over a hill. When they got to the top and peaked down in to the valley where the crops were, sure enough the deer were munchin. it was a long way and the guy said "you'll never hit it from this distance!" Grampa just said "well then I don't hit it!" He put his sights on the deer, and raised his rifle a bit to basically "lob" the slug into the field and fired. Nothing more than a guess shot. The deer scattered and a moment latter the slug landed right in center of a does back as she was running away. His friend was speechless. lol

That's the kind of luck that followed him!

I live a much too busy life for the old timers. I grew up spending most of my time with them. But now I hardly stop. If you just take time to talk to them, they really do make you slow down a bit and make you come down to earth.

Pikes"R"us
04-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks for sharing everyone. Love hearing stories like this! :)