PDA

View Full Version : Is the Moose Dead?

Arn?Narn.
06-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Is the moose dead when the guy walks up to it?

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIjYdRHxaTc

Rackmastr
06-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Moose is still breathing out his last few breaths and has some nerves looks like. Spine shot obviously. The moose is all but dead right at the shot.

Why do you ask?

deanmc
06-21-2010, 08:37 PM
as a doornail!

Arn?Narn.
06-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Moose is still breathing out his last few breaths and has some nerves looks like. Spine shot obviously. The moose is all but dead right at the shot.

Why do you ask?

Even on the last breaths and twitches I stand on the backside... I seen a guy get kicked in the leg and we all thought it was actually broken...black and purple right from the shim to ankle.. even those last twitches can give you a good root! :)

Arn?Narn.
06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Here's another vid... wouldn't have wanted to been the "good buddy with a strong back" on this hunt ...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNZ61blyIU8&feature=related

this guy is a blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6-9LVBvgiY&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgy_IhYTYC8&feature=related

deanmc
06-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Even on the last breaths and twitches I stand on the backside... I seen a guy get kicked in the leg and we all thought it was actually broken...black and purple right from the shim to ankle.. even those last twitches can give you a good root! :)

Absolutely agree. I would have never got so close to it that soon. Even if I was sure it was dead.

duffy4
06-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I enjoyed some of the video once I turned the sound off.

Never could see where rockin-roll goes with hunting.

super7mag
06-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Never walk up behind a downed moose unless your positive it's dead . I guy I know was driving truck about 5-6 years ago, came across an accident where a lady smoked a moose with her car, she was allright cut and bruised but no major injurys. he stopped and helped her back to his truck and called the rcmp. Mean while the injured moose was laying on the hwy thrashing around, so the first rcmp on seen came over asked if everyone was alright and said that ambulance was on the way to check the lady over, after watching the moose he decided he better put it down, he drew his service pistol and walked up for a behind the ear shot he was to close, the cow kicked him right in the knee cap, the guy I know said he heard it snap. Then he fell drop his pistol and the moose was flailing, giving hima few more shots. Then buddy grabbed the constable by his shirt and drug him back to the truck, just as the second cruiser pulled up, they jumped out guns drawn for all they could see was an officer down, gun on the road and this guy leaning over him. Needless to say he pretty much sh*t himself, the original constable yelled it was ok and the guy was helping him. Ambulance showed up an took the constable and just quickly checked over the lady in the wreck. The other rcmp felt pretty bad about drawing down on him and took him out for supper.

209x50
06-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Never walk up behind a downed moose unless your positive it's dead . I guy I know was driving truck about 5-6 years ago, came across an accident where a lady smoked a moose with her car, she was allright cut and bruised but no major injurys. he stopped and helped her back to his truck and called the rcmp. Mean while the injured moose was laying on the hwy thrashing around, so the first rcmp on seen came over asked if everyone was alright and said that ambulance was on the way to check the lady over, after watching the moose he decided he better put it down, he drew his service pistol and walked up for a behind the ear shot he was to close, the cow kicked him right in the knee cap, the guy I know said he heard it snap. Then he fell drop his pistol and the moose was flailing, giving hima few more shots. Then buddy grabbed the constable by his shirt and drug him back to the truck, just as the second cruiser pulled up, they jumped out guns drawn for all they could see was an officer down, gun on the road and this guy leaning over him. Needless to say he pretty much sh*t himself, the original constable yelled it was ok and the guy was helping him. Ambulance showed up an took the constable and just quickly checked over the lady in the wreck. The other rcmp felt pretty bad about drawing down on him and took him out for supper.
WOW! Poor guy, try to help and look what happened. Like so many things in life your perspective of a situation can cause so many different interpretations. I'm glad it all got straight in the end.

big zeke
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
He is finished, the shot is clearly into the hump so his back is broken and he is not getting up. That being said, he can cause a lot of problems for anyone in the vicinity of his legs, he can flail and both front and rear legs can move in a flash.

I normally sit back for a few minutes and wait for the breathing to stop, his back is broken so there should be no pain. You could shoot him in the head but it won't speed things up and it risks buggering up a nice rack. No need to rush this step as a busted leg back in the bush can be fairly complex...that and you'll be leaving your partner to tend to you plus the moose...not cool.

Not too sure if I'm OK with shooting it on a roadway...most worried about having a good backstop. If you let him take 5 steps, he is in the ditch and you should have a safe backstop.

Zeke