PDA

View Full Version : Marean Lake, SK

dave99
06-21-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm taking the GF out to Saskatchewan for Canada Day long weekend, and am planning to get some fishing time in with her. Has anyone here fished Marean Lake, just SE of Tisdale? Is it a good pike/perch/walleye lake in the summer?

Thanks,
Dave99

Teamprotz
06-22-2010, 05:56 AM
I've got cabins booked for my family there July 12-16. Haven't been there in 25 years ! Water is at record levels and because of all the rain , not many have been out fishing. Needed a change from Kipabiskau , but could ALWAYS catch limits of walleye there.

dave99
06-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the info TProtz. It's nice to hear that some lakes in western Canada are nice and full, unlike the state of affairs around Edmonton!

nicemustang
06-22-2010, 07:30 AM
FYI, fishing has been crappy so far this year. No heat and VERY VERY high water levels. According to what I hear very slow fishing but if the temp holds and the water clears up, it may be better. If you have to, drive over to greenwater for a day. Much better fishing IMO.

nicemustang
06-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Oh one more thing...buy lots of leeches in Saskatoon on your way through.

Teamprotz
06-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Nicemustang , is there any particular place on the lake to target perch ? I know there are some whoppers from spear fishing 25 years ago , but never fished them with rod / reel. We shot some nice ones in the bay in the north west (?). If nothing else we'll pound bouncers until we find something !!

nicemustang
06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
If I recall, the perch fishing has really died off in the past year. Although that bay you speak of is probably the best place. And right off the dock as well used to be good when I was a kid. We've only been fishing Greenwater the last few years since marean has really died off for some reason.

PS: Good perch on the far NW corner of GW.

Teamprotz
06-22-2010, 07:59 PM
May have to sneak over for a day , we'll have the time. Big perch in GW ?

nicemustang
06-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Yes there is :)

dave99
06-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Do you guys know if they rent boats at Marean and Greenwater?

nicemustang
06-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Greenwater yes. Don't think marean does. At GW, at the boat launch there is a shop. They rent 14' aluminums with 15 hp engines. At least they used to years ago, i'm sure they still do. It was like $100 a day or so.

Tuc
06-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Was talking to the guy who runs the cafe on the beach at Greenwater. (about 2 weeks ago) He said fishing was ****ty because of all the rain that fell. Record rain falls in that whole N.E. part of Sk. I hear the farmers never had a chance to get seed in the ground and it's too late now.
And yes there is good perch fishing in Greenwater Lake....

Hey Mustang, we'll have to hook up sometime you are over that way. I have a cabin about 10 minutes from GWL.
All the best!

Teamprotz
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Yes there are new rental boats at Marean too. Check out Mareanlakeresort.com

lippy
06-27-2010, 09:15 AM
just got back from that neck of the woods. The area has had a lot of rain this year..some farmers were able to seed but the majority did not. The lake water level is the highest it has been for quite some time and the park got another inch or so on Friday night. Fishing has been slow for pike and walleye...according to the fellow at the marina the fishing was better early a.m. and late p.m.leeches and dew worms best. Leeches were $3.99/doz. The marina has 14 and some 16 foot alum's as rentals..the $ per hour is very reasonable..life jacket rentals are $5.00 ea.for the day. They have a new sign up..you need a boat operators licence to rent a boat there.You can take the course right in greenwater. They have a beautiful 18 hole golf course in the park too - club and cart rentals available.
locals are getting lots of walleye in a lake outside of the park ..but on the smaller side.

nicemustang
06-28-2010, 08:33 AM
We used to have a cabin on marean when I was a kid. The best part i remember about that lake was the crayfish. So many in that lake and we had a big ol pot of them every night. I also remember the perch fishing being good. Spent ALOT of time at GW as well since half my town had cabins there.

Don't talk to me about farming. We have 4 sections near Lake Lenore. We had so much rain, every low spot has water in it. The lake is high, the sloughs are over flowing, its terrible. We didn't quite get in 2/3 this year and what we did get in, a lot is drown out. So much for my fun money this year.

Although with all the rain, if your in the area and want to fish on a lake that is fishing well, lake lenore is still been great. 100 feet out from the boat launch on the small lake will allow you to catch hundreds in a few hours in the am or evening. You drive right by the farm 1/2 mile up, make sure you honk if you see my dad pacing in the yard lol.

Banger
06-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I am also heading there this weekend with some friends that own a cabin there. No one has really mentioned anything about fishing while we are there but i think i will throw the fishing pole in anyway.

By reading above in this thread it looks like leeches are the best bet?

nicemustang
06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
FROGS! Well it was when you used to be able to use them. I think minnows would be fine.

dave99
06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Hot-diggidy! I just got some info that the spear fishing should also be good in Marean. Now I can't decide between fishing and spear fishing... or both :sHa_shakeshout:

Teamprotz
06-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Thats what I was doing 25 years ago , the water is clear and the perch were big. High water might hurt visibility but alot of people dive there.

dave99
07-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Just got back from a wicked weekend at Marean Lake. The fishing was pretty good; the GF and I managed a few pike (nothing too big..), but no walleye. I also had a great time spearfishing for perch. One was pretty big, and they all made for excellent eating! :)

Dave99

Teamprotz
07-05-2010, 10:26 PM
What part of the lake and how deep did you find perch ? Want to keep the kids entertained !

dave99
07-06-2010, 07:27 AM
I found most of the perch in the North end, in about 5-8'. Also the East Bay near the weedlines.

Good Fishin',
Dave99

Teamprotz
07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Thats where we got them years ago. Thanks.