PDA

View Full Version : Badger Pike

Alpine Archer
06-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Fished the afternoon at Badger on Sunday. Caught a dozen pike all around the 2 - 4 lb range. Saw lots of other boats out, anyone fish there on the weekend? Any big ones? We were casting husky jerks from the boat, also did some trolling with the same lures. Fish were aggressive and following lures right to the boat.

floppychicken
06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I heard that this used to be 'THE PLACE' for Big Pike, but I've spoken with many who have told me that they haven't caught a BIG fish outta' there for a Loooong time... Does that ring true with anyone else? Also, I was told that it's a fairly shallow lake with hidden structures and not very friendly to boats. Any truth to that?

Cheers,

Alpine Archer
06-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Definitely lots of prop-eating hazards on the lake. You definitely have to be on the lookout as you navigate around.
I know the winner of the ice fishing derby every year is close to 30lbs, so they must still be in there...maybe not in the numbers they used to be?

floppychicken
06-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Definitely lots of prop-eating hazards on the lake. You definitely have to be on the lookout as you navigate around.
I know the winner of the ice fishing derby every year is close to 30lbs, so they must still be in there...maybe not in the numbers they used to be?

WOW, that's good to know... Are there decent numbers of 10+ beasties in there? I'm all for catching the PIKE of a lifetime, but I REALLY like the idea of landing and releasing some Good sized fish. The hammer handles get 'old' pretty quick! :P

Cheers,

Fishingnutter
06-21-2010, 11:45 PM
WOW, that's good to know... Are there decent numbers of 10+ beasties in there? I'm all for catching the PIKE of a lifetime, but I REALLY like the idea of landing and releasing some Good sized fish. The hammer handles get 'old' pretty quick! :P

Cheers,

my best day was c&r about 70, and nooo not all the same fish maybe a few. They were so consistent that my coffee kept getting cold and I had the claw later that night from fighting so many.

A Huderrite that I ran into out there thinks the fish get big fast due to the drainage of a nearby feedlot,,, whether there's any truth to this I don't know. the ice-off fish taste pretty darn fine.

floppychicken
06-21-2010, 11:57 PM
my best day was c&r about 70, and nooo not all the same fish maybe a few. They were so consistent that my coffee kept getting cold and I had the claw later that night from fighting so many.

A Huderrite that I ran into out there thinks the fish get big fast due to the drainage of a nearby feedlot,,, whether there's any truth to this I don't know. the ice-off fish taste pretty darn fine.

BAHAHAHAH... 'the Claw' LOL... damn funny cause' I call it 'The CRAW'! heh, heh..

How big of a boat do you launch?

Cheers,

Fishingnutter
06-22-2010, 12:36 AM
BAHAHAHAH... 'the Claw' LOL... damn funny cause' I call it 'The CRAW'! heh, heh..

How big of a boat do you launch?

Cheers,

oh, i just sold my early 70's lund 16' tinny,, about to sell my 2007, 15hp merc, so sad. you know that boat looked like a cartopper but needed a trailer and it was rated for load of 1400lbs, never noticed that. great boat very flat bottom and 60" beam to almost the front, phoned lund and they may reintroduce the model. If I were alone in the boat I would put 3 5 gal jugs of water in the bow to see over the front. r.i.p, on the fraser now, the guy who bought it modified it to take either a short leg or long leg 20hp,,, which reminds me, he owes me a salmon. Professionally, the boat was a welded aluminum tank, an old 34' herring skiff with a 90hp Yamaha,, a truck on the water that took a draft of 10" when empty and barely a couple of inches when loaded even, seven feet wide front to back. I could beach it anywhere.

Kingfisher
06-22-2010, 02:05 AM
I know the winner of the ice fishing derby every year is close to 30lbs,

2010 Badger Derby results.
1st Place - Austin Toly - Bassano - 25.9 lbs
2nd Place - Morgan Southgate - Nanton - 24.35 lbs
3rd Place - Brian Hoppe - Calgary - 22.85 lbs
4th Place - Josh James - Taber - 21.9 lbs
5th Place - Tristan Arnaud - Lethbridge - 20.9 lbs

So AA is right. There are some nice fish swiming around in there. You just have to find when they are hungry and give them what they want.

Rob

fish-man
06-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Big Pike go deep in the summer, especially in a shallow (therefore warm) lake. I haven't fished Badger myself, but that is what tends to happen. Try fishing as deep as you can, or else wait for fall/winter when the water cools down.

Alpine Archer
06-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the advice fellas. Looking forward to trying my luck there again soon. The water was at about 60 degrees. Is that getting warm enough to drive them deep already?

fish-man
06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't know but I would guess by this time of year they are indeed going deep.

Blackman82
06-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I heard that this used to be 'THE PLACE' for Big Pike, but I've spoken with many who have told me that they haven't caught a BIG fish outta' there for a Loooong time... Does that ring true with anyone else? Also, I was told that it's a fairly shallow lake with hidden structures and not very friendly to boats. Any truth to that?

Cheers,
When I go usually every 2 weekend I catch a few good sized ones i fish from the dam which i belive is the deepest part 28 30 feet correct me if i am wrong.i always pull 1 or 2big ones out before the day is done.

Little Valy
06-23-2010, 08:48 PM
60 to 65 degrees is the best temperature for the big girls.Check the bays and shallow water (2 to 5 feet) with a thermometer(right to the bottom) and if it's in the mid to low 60's they should be there.Look for water with structure,weeds,or dropoffs.Be patient.

pikester
06-23-2010, 09:37 PM
When I go usually every 2 weekend I catch a few good sized ones i fish from the dam which i belive is the deepest part 28 30 feet correct me if i am wrong.i always pull 1 or 2big ones out before the day is done.

I suspect you are right about the bigger pike being deep. Just a question though, I have extensive fishing experience for pike in a general sense but not sure of the deep water techniques. When targetting big pike in deep water do you have to run your spoons, jigs, crankbaits, etc right through them at the same depth they are sitting at or is it more productive to run lures a few feet above them & get them to come up to the lures?

Fishingnutter
06-23-2010, 09:48 PM
I suspect you are right about the bigger pike being deep. Just a question though, I have extensive fishing experience for pike in a general sense but not sure of the deep water techniques. When targetting big pike in deep water do you have to run your spoons, jigs, crankbaits, etc right through them at the same depth they are sitting at or is it more productive to run lures a few feet above them & get them to come up to the lures?

i don't like the float approach with pike but they definitely come up,, i do 4 mississippi then retreive. and the warm water thing, i don't know the biology of pike but i've caught them in the warmest/shallowest water and plentyful, so it's odd. my neice called me over to point at a fish, it was her first time fishing, at 20 (we're ashamed of ourselves), anyhoo, i'm walking over thinkin yeah-yeah-yeah and holy mother of jeesuss tunderin, easily 50 inches, near shore near the surface. and it was inspecting things, like boulders, they barely move their fins very fascinating fish. we just buhbye'd it because to see it was so awesome.

the deep thing, so my cousin is at gods lake years ago and the lunkers were caught in no more than 18 inches of water.

WayneChristie
06-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Depends on the feed too. I was fishing a lake MOnday and the pike were right on the shoreline eating schools of perch. But that lake is only 12 or so feet deep max

Fishingnutter
06-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Did anyone go this weekend?

Fenix_84
06-28-2010, 06:49 PM
can you fish this lake from shore?

fishnab
06-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Badger can be fished from almost the entire south side, gravel road across the rock dam. A good portion of the east end, fish the outlet and the canal inlet on the north east corner are popular. There is also the gravel road on the sorth west side. Spoons,plugs and bottom fishing with smelts is popular.

Good luck

Alpine Archer
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Went out on Friday evening. Caught one small pike on a rappala, then threw on a jig head with curly tailed minnow immitaion and first cast whammo! 8lb walleye...28 inches length, 15 inch girth. Must have swam down the inlet canal from Newell...

cujo1969
06-29-2010, 03:35 PM
It woukld come from traver or little bow res did you keep it?

Alpine Archer
06-29-2010, 04:11 PM
l

Alpine Archer
06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Photo of the Badger Wally

spinerfisher
06-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Nice One! They are starting to show up in more numbers there thats for sure!!