PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly @ PCR?

BigT
06-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Anyone else heard about a griz commin down to the resevoir north of the bridge?

Heard it swam across to the east side, was scared off by F&W and headed back west across the reservoir into the hills.

zabbo
06-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Spoke with one of the local ranchers there last weekend and he told me about it. Only said that it swam the res., nothing about F&W, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen. The same person told me there has been a cougar seen to the west.

WayneChristie
06-22-2010, 02:28 PM
There is usually a bear alert sign posted in Willow Creek campground which is only 5 minutes away. Thought it was only for balcks, but a grizz would be quite possible I assume. Maybe F and W will catch it and give that one to BC too since we have too many in Alberta :rolleye2:

blwlaw823
06-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Too many Grizzly in Alberta? You should read the following article

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/BearManagement/GrizzlyBears/documents/GrizzlyBears-GrizzlyBearConservationAB-Jun2010.pdf

There is usually a bear alert sign posted in Willow Creek campground which is only 5 minutes away. Thought it was only for balcks, but a grizz would be quite possible I assume. Maybe F and W will catch it and give that one to BC too since we have too many in Alberta :rolleye2:

walking buffalo
06-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Too many Grizzly in Alberta? You should read the following article

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/BearManagement/GrizzlyBears/documents/GrizzlyBears-GrizzlyBearConservationAB-Jun2010.pdf

I get what Wayne is saying.... You don't?

Reports have been made that SRD has relocated problem Grizzly Bears from Alberta to BC.

Can you explain what the article is telling us about the status of Alberta Grizzly bears? To me, the press release looks like an incomplete collection of selected and revised data to explain the government's about face in declaring the bears as threatened.

Lots of problem G Bears were relocated by SRD into the Porcupine Hills in the last decade. As I understand the situation now, SRD has stopped relocating bears into this area. No room for more bears. BTW, these G Bears are NOT included in the 2010 population report.

floppychicken
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Hmmm, sounds a long ways off for a Grizzly, but I can see it happening. Lot's of Families out there, so that's a bit freaky.... Cougars are far worse IMO.

Can't remember how many times I almost 'hit Cougars' (no, not the fun kind..) when living in Bragg Creek. Always found Bear Crap in my yard too and some of those droppings were uh, 'quite large'!

Cheers,

zabbo
06-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Hmmm, sounds a long ways off for a Grizzly, but I can see it happening. Lot's of Families out there, so that's a bit freaky.... Cougars are far worse IMO.

Can't remember how many times I almost 'hit Cougars' (no, not the fun kind..) when living in Bragg Creek. Always found Bear Crap in my yard too and some of those droppings were uh, 'quite large'!

Cheers,

Bear crap smell like pepper spray and have bear bells in it??? :thinking-006: